Canon Digital - cheaper to buy in Toronto or New York?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Zol., Jul 13, 2003.

  1. Zol.

    Zol. Guest

    Hi, I might be in the line to see about getting an upgrade on my Canon over
    the Christmas/New Year period in these 2 locations (Toronto & Manhatten) -
    are the prices similar to each other or is there a difference in pricing ?
    also I will making my way back to the UK afterwards and would like to know
    if I need to pay any TAX in Canada/USA or the UK on return?

    Thanks for any useful information

    Zol.

    --

    "May you find what you are looking for in the Window at the heart of the
    machine"

    Canon Photo Gallery - http://www.byphotos.com/

    Zolitare`AT`Blueyonder.co.uk / TheOne`AT`Blueyonder.co.uk

    Free Anti-Virus Software ... http://www.grisoft.com
    Free Firewall Software ...... http://www.sygate.com/swat/default.htm
    Free Spyware Removal .... http://security.kolla.de/

    Test your Firewall ............ http://scan.sygatetech.com/

    Zol., Jul 13, 2003

  2. Zol.

    Graham Guest

    "Zol." wrote:
    > also I will making my way back to the UK afterwards and would like
    > to know if I need to pay any TAX in Canada/USA or the UK on return?

    When I last visited Canada in 1997 they had a scheme for overseas
    visitors to reclaim the federal VAT (whatever they call it) on purchases
    they took out of the country. Provincial sales taxes could not be
    claimed back. I don't know what federal or state taxes might apply in
    the US or whether you can claim them back as an overseas visitor.

    Graham, Jul 15, 2003

  3. The federal government has a GST rebate program. Most provinces also have a
    tax rebate program if you are taking the equipment out of the country within
    a reasonable time frame. Information on both can be obtained from customs
    offices where you are exiting the country.
    Michael

    Michael Neville, Jul 15, 2003
  4. Zol.

    Zol. Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message
    > "Zol." wrote:
    > > How will this put me with customs in the Uk though - will I then
    > > have to pay a duty tax on entering the UK ? thanks ... Zol.

    > It shouldn't affect UK tax/duty either way since you don't even claim
    > the Canadian refund until after you've got home.

    Is there any helpful info sites about claiming back? - and will going into a
    shop with my passport in either countries help in anyway with getting Tax
    deducted there and then? thanks ... Zol.

    Zol., Jul 16, 2003
  5. Zol.

    Graham Guest

    "Zol." wrote:
    > Is there any helpful info sites about claiming back?

    There are sure to be such websites.

    Canadian federal GST (VAT) would be covered by a Canadian government
    website, but unless something has changed, thats simply a matter of
    keeping the receipts, getting the application form, reading it, and
    posting it in.

    Canadian provincial taxes will vary from one province to the next - try
    an Ontario government site. I know in BC in 1997 there was no provision
    for refunding provisional sales taxes.

    I don't even know if the US federal government charges any taxes which
    you might avoid or have refunded. US state sales taxes will obviously
    vary for each of the 50 states, so once again you'll have to check with
    the state government websites.

    Your travel agent may also be able to help with information if they're
    on the ball.

    > - and will going into a shop with my passport in either countries
    > help in anyway with getting Tax deducted there and then? thanks ...
    > Zol.

    I have no idea. I do know that as an international traveller in
    Australia you can get some goods GST free by presenting your passport
    and exit tickets, so it is possible that Canadian provincial taxes or US
    taxes work on this basis.

    Graham, Jul 16, 2003