Canon digital cameras with internal rechargable battery and highshutter speed??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Neil Jones, Dec 2, 2007.

  1. Neil Jones

    Neil Jones Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Canon Powershot G-5 camera which I purchased in 2003. It is a
    great camera and it is still working. Last winter, I started
    experiencing problems with zooming (might be something to do with the
    cold weather) but in summer the problem has disappeared. Anyway, now I
    am ready to upgrade my camera to a different Canon model. There are too
    many choices with varying options. The 2 most important choices for me are:
    1. High shutter speed (>2800)
    2. Rechargeable internal battery

    Does Canon have these choices available in a point and shoot type camera?

    Thank you in advance for any information.

    NJ

    ---------------------
    Random URL found on the Internet
    http://memoriter.net/flash/test.html

    Neil Jones, Dec 2, 2007

  2. Re: Canon digital cameras with internal rechargable battery and high shutter speed??

    By internal, do you mean, not owner accessible? I don't know of any
    camera that has only external batteries. Some have that as an option for
    extended capacity.

    I would prefer batteries I can change. I like the ability to carry a
    spare and to be able to easily replace a battery when it starts to wear out.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 2, 2007

  3. Neil Jones

    Mark B. Guest

    "Neil Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Canon Powershot G-5 camera which I purchased in 2003. It is a
    > great camera and it is still working. Last winter, I started experiencing
    > problems with zooming (might be something to do with the cold weather) but
    > in summer the problem has disappeared. Anyway, now I am ready to upgrade
    > my camera to a different Canon model. There are too many choices with
    > varying options. The 2 most important choices for me are:
    > 1. High shutter speed (>2800)

    You can go here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp to do a search
    by camera type and shutter speed, along with just about any other feature
    that is important to you.

    > 2. Rechargeable internal battery

    Not sure what you mean here. All digital cameras use rechargeable
    batteries, either AA or proprietery Li-ion. I'm not aware of any that use a
    non-removeable battery and personally I would steer clear of any such
    camera. For AA you can use non-rechargeables in a pinch. Energizer
    Lithiums seem to be popular for emergency use. The new hybrid type
    rechargeable NiMH (such as Sanyo Eneloop) offer the best of both worlds -
    they hold the charge much longer than normal NiMH which typically deplete by
    a few % each day even when sitting unused.

    Mark

    Mark B., Dec 2, 2007
  4. Neil Jones

    irwell Guest

    Re: Canon digital cameras with internal rechargable battery and high shutter speed??

    On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:23:48 -0500, "Mark B."
    <> wrote:

    >Not sure what you mean here. All digital cameras use rechargeable
    >batteries, either AA or proprietery Li-ion. I'm not aware of any that use a
    >non-removeable battery and personally I would steer clear of any such
    >camera.

    Oregon Scientific had such a camera, the internal battery
    is charged via a USB cable from the computer.

    irwell, Dec 2, 2007
  5. Neil Jones

    irwell Guest

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 09:08:35 -0800, irwell <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:23:48 -0500, "Mark B."
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Not sure what you mean here. All digital cameras use rechargeable
    >>batteries, either AA or proprietery Li-ion. I'm not aware of any that use a
    >>non-removeable battery and personally I would steer clear of any such
    >>camera.

    >Oregon Scientific had such a camera, the internal battery
    >is charged via a USB cable from the computer.

    CHARGING THE BATTERIES
    Long battery life is one of the key benefits of this camera compared
    to other digital
    cameras. On a full charge, the camera will take hundreds of images.
    Your camera
    battery has already been charged prior to shipment. So, you should be
    able to take
    pictures without recharging it. However, just to be safe, you may want
    to follow the
    instructions below to make sure that your camera is fully charged
    before leaving
    home.
    The lithium-polymer battery used in the camera recharges automatically
    when the
    camera is plugged into a PC via the USB cable. To charge the battery
    for the first
    time:
    1. Install the included
    software (see Installing
    the Software in section 4).
    2. Plug the camera into your
    computer using the
    provided USB cable.
    3. When the battery is
    charging, the green LED
    will blink. When charging
    is complete, the green
    LED will be solid.
    LITHIUM-POLYMER BATTERY TIPS
    SAFETY NOTE
    • Always observe the precautions described in Section 8.
    • It takes approximately 3 hours to fully charge a depleted battery.
    • The camera can be charged at ambient temperatures between 0°C and
    +40°C.
    • The battery does not need to be fully discharged or exhausted before
    being
    recharged.
    • Lithium-polymer batteries lose their charge even when not used. So,
    be sure to
    charge the battery before taking pictures.
    • To ensure that your battery lasts as long as possible, switch the
    camera off when
    you are not using it.
    • The number of available shots will be lower at low temperatures. You
    can
    increase the amount of power produced by putting the camera in your
    pocket or
    another warm place to heat it just before taking pictures. If you are
    using a
    heating pad, take care not to place the camera directly against the
    pad.

    irwell, Dec 2, 2007
  6. Neil Jones

    NeilD Guest

    Re: Canon digital cameras with internal rechargable battery and high shutter speed??

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 07:57:31 -0500, Neil Jones
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have a Canon Powershot G-5 camera which I purchased in 2003. It is a
    >great camera and it is still working. Last winter, I started
    >experiencing problems with zooming (might be something to do with the
    >cold weather) but in summer the problem has disappeared. Anyway, now I
    >am ready to upgrade my camera to a different Canon model. There are too
    >many choices with varying options. The 2 most important choices for me are:
    > 1. High shutter speed (>2800)
    > 2. Rechargeable internal battery
    >
    >Does Canon have these choices available in a point and shoot type camera?
    >
    >Thank you in advance for any information.
    >
    >NJ

    You might be interested in any of the inexpensive Canon Powershot
    P&S cameras that can run CHDK. Shutter speeds up to 1/10,000th of
    a second with high-speed flash sync included for all shutter
    speeds up to the highest.

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

    I don't think you'll find too many cameras these days that allow
    for in-camera recharging. There was too much risk of battery
    failure and explosion during charging process as well as generous
    heat given off by any that use NiHM battery types during
    charging. Not that I've heard of this destroying many, or any,
    cameras but it can happen under the right circumstances. It's a
    risk that's not worth testing. I have a Li-Ion camera that
    charges internally and it's still fine even 6 years later, but I
    do like having that little extra safety factor of charging
    batteries externally. This is what makes AA's so nice. Chargers
    and batteries available anywhere.

    NeilD, Dec 2, 2007
  7. Neil Jones

    Mark B. Guest

    "irwell" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:23:48 -0500, "Mark B."
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Not sure what you mean here. All digital cameras use rechargeable
    >>batteries, either AA or proprietery Li-ion. I'm not aware of any that use
    >>non-removeable battery and personally I would steer clear of any such
    >>camera.

    > Oregon Scientific had such a camera, the internal battery
    > is charged via a USB cable from the computer.

    So you have to wait for the battery to charge again before you can use the
    camera again. I wouldn't like that at all.

    Mark

    Mark B., Dec 2, 2007
  8. Re: Canon digital cameras with internal rechargable battery and high shutter speed??

    On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 16:09:00 -0500, "Mark B." <> wrote:

    >"irwell" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:23:48 -0500, "Mark B."
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Not sure what you mean here. All digital cameras use rechargeable
    >>>batteries, either AA or proprietery Li-ion. I'm not aware of any that use
    >>>non-removeable battery and personally I would steer clear of any such
    >>>camera.

    >> Oregon Scientific had such a camera, the internal battery
    >> is charged via a USB cable from the computer.

    >So you have to wait for the battery to charge again before you can use the
    >camera again. I wouldn't like that at all.
    >
    >Mark

    True, it's an inconvenience if you don't plan ahead properly and don't limit
    yourself to what comes in the camera box. Always keep a spare one charged in
    your pocket. Charge the dead one during any free-time and access to mains or
    other power source. During an extensive trip into a remote area I've even used
    an external emergency battery-pack a few times to charge the internal battery,
    worked just as good. As long as the external power supply has slightly higher
    voltage it'll flow into the one in the camera. Also, considering that most
    in-camera charge models have exceptional battery life you can easily go a couple
    days of intensive shooting before having to swap out batteries. As long as
    you're not one of those silly machine-gun snap-shooters who think that if they
    only shoot enough images one will finally turn out right. Or buy any of the many
    stand-alone chargers that have interchangeable adapter plates to take any design
    of Li-Ion batteries, or a dedicated charger just for that battery line or model.

    There's many workarounds. None of which are a make or break selling point.

    shawn chambers, Dec 2, 2007
  9. Neil Jones

    Mark B. Guest

    "shawn chambers" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 16:09:00 -0500, "Mark B." <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > True, it's an inconvenience if you don't plan ahead properly and don't
    > limit
    > yourself to what comes in the camera box. Always keep a spare one charged
    > in
    > your pocket.

    A spare camera? I had a look at Oregon Scientific cameras with a Google
    search, and I wouldn't want one if it was free let alone have a spare.

    > Charge the dead one during any free-time and access to mains or
    > other power source. During an extensive trip into a remote area I've even
    > used
    > an external emergency battery-pack a few times to charge the internal
    > battery,
    > worked just as good. As long as the external power supply has slightly
    > higher
    > voltage it'll flow into the one in the camera. Also, considering that most
    > in-camera charge models have exceptional battery life you can easily go a
    > couple
    > days of intensive shooting before having to swap out batteries. As long as
    > you're not one of those silly machine-gun snap-shooters who think that if
    > they
    > only shoot enough images one will finally turn out right. Or buy any of
    > the many
    > stand-alone chargers that have interchangeable adapter plates to take any
    > design
    > of Li-Ion batteries, or a dedicated charger just for that battery line or
    > model.

    I got the sense from reading the descriptions that the batteries on OS cams
    are strictly built-in and not interchangeable. Not a very consumer friendly
    solution. Who doesn't want to have at least one spare battery charged and
    ready to go? That would be just as bad as built-in memory with no memory
    card slot.

    > There's many workarounds. None of which are a make or break selling point.

    I'd rather just swap batteries, so to me it's a no-go selling point.

    Mark B., Dec 2, 2007
  10. Re: Canon digital cameras with internal rechargable battery and high shutter speed??

    On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 18:36:56 -0500, "Mark B." <> wrote:

    >"shawn chambers" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 16:09:00 -0500, "Mark B." <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> True, it's an inconvenience if you don't plan ahead properly and don't
    >> limit
    >> yourself to what comes in the camera box. Always keep a spare one charged
    >> in
    >> your pocket.

    >A spare camera? I had a look at Oregon Scientific cameras with a Google
    >search, and I wouldn't want one if it was free let alone have a spare.
    >
    >> Charge the dead one during any free-time and access to mains or
    >> other power source. During an extensive trip into a remote area I've even
    >> used
    >> an external emergency battery-pack a few times to charge the internal
    >> battery,
    >> worked just as good. As long as the external power supply has slightly
    >> higher
    >> voltage it'll flow into the one in the camera. Also, considering that most
    >> in-camera charge models have exceptional battery life you can easily go a
    >> couple
    >> days of intensive shooting before having to swap out batteries. As long as
    >> you're not one of those silly machine-gun snap-shooters who think that if
    >> they
    >> only shoot enough images one will finally turn out right. Or buy any of
    >> the many
    >> stand-alone chargers that have interchangeable adapter plates to take any
    >> design
    >> of Li-Ion batteries, or a dedicated charger just for that battery line or
    >> model.
    >>

    >I got the sense from reading the descriptions that the batteries on OS cams
    >are strictly built-in and not interchangeable. Not a very consumer friendly
    >solution. Who doesn't want to have at least one spare battery charged and
    >ready to go? That would be just as bad as built-in memory with no memory
    >card slot.
    >
    >> There's many workarounds. None of which are a make or break selling point.
    >>

    >I'd rather just swap batteries, so to me it's a no-go selling point.

    I personally was referring to those models that do charge in-camera but also
    have a removable battery. Some exceptionally nice cameras too, top shelf. I
    still use mine often because no newer cameras come close to it for some of its
    features and quality. My first one cost (with accessories to get into digital
    fully-dressed) well over $1200 at the time. I have never investigated the OS
    brand of cameras nor do I want to take the time to, but I wasn't aware of any
    where you could NOT swap out batteries before. Unless maybe it was some kid's
    camera or earlier web-cam/digicam/snapshot-cam bubble-pack purchase.

    shawn chambers, Dec 3, 2007