Canon digital camera sensor fault - update

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S, Mar 4, 2007.

  1. John S

    John S Guest

    Back in December 2006 there was a thread about digital cameras in which one
    poster experienced failure of his Canon camera and was looking for advice
    on a replacement.

    I had a Canon S1IS at the time and experienced a sensor failure with the
    same symptoms. I went to Canon site and read their service bulletin about
    this failure.

    My problem was that I bought my camera from ETown in Auckland - a parallel
    importer. I felt that Canon could rightfully decline to help with a camera
    they had not imported.

    When I asked ETown to repair my camera without charge they just pointed out
    that I had the camera for 2.5 years, and their warranty was only 12 months.

    There was some exchange of correspondence in which I pointed out their
    obligations under the Consumer Guarantees Act, and that their warranty
    period was irrelevant.

    To cut a long story short, I stuck to my guns and ETown eventually agreed
    to take my camera back and to take up the matter with Canon. At that stage
    they still didn't accept any liability to do more than this.

    Anyway, it all ended happily for me. Canon supplied a brand new S3IS in
    exchange for the faulty one, and I'm delighted with the new camera.

    I wasn't very impressed with ETown's attitude, but am highly impressed with
    Canon's approach.

    Cheers,

    John S
    John S, Mar 4, 2007

  2. John S

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "John S" <> wrote in message
    > Back in December 2006 there was a thread about digital cameras in which
    > one
    > poster experienced failure of his Canon camera and was looking for advice
    > on a replacement.
    >
    > I had a Canon S1IS at the time and experienced a sensor failure with the
    > same symptoms. I went to Canon site and read their service bulletin about
    > this failure.
    >
    > My problem was that I bought my camera from ETown in Auckland - a
    > parallel
    > importer. I felt that Canon could rightfully decline to help with a
    > camera
    > they had not imported.
    >
    > When I asked ETown to repair my camera without charge they just pointed
    > out
    > that I had the camera for 2.5 years, and their warranty was only 12
    > months.
    >
    > There was some exchange of correspondence in which I pointed out their
    > obligations under the Consumer Guarantees Act, and that their warranty
    > period was irrelevant.
    >
    > To cut a long story short, I stuck to my guns and ETown eventually agreed
    > to take my camera back and to take up the matter with Canon. At that
    > stage
    > they still didn't accept any liability to do more than this.
    >
    > Anyway, it all ended happily for me. Canon supplied a brand new S3IS in
    > exchange for the faulty one, and I'm delighted with the new camera.
    >
    > I wasn't very impressed with ETown's attitude, but am highly impressed
    > with
    > Canon's approach.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    That's a big step up from what you had. What was the point in ETown arguing
    the toss when the decision with what to do about it was up to Canon and
    would've been at Canon's expense?
    Great how some bastard in the middle likes to speak for the manufacturer
    when they don't even work for the manufacturer.
    You would've had less hassle through a proper camera retailer.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Mar 5, 2007

  3. John S

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 13:33:26 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

    >"John S" <> wrote in message
    >> Back in December 2006 there was a thread about digital cameras in which
    >> one
    >> poster experienced failure of his Canon camera and was looking for advice
    >> on a replacement.
    >>
    >> I had a Canon S1IS at the time and experienced a sensor failure with the
    >> same symptoms. I went to Canon site and read their service bulletin about
    >> this failure.
    >>
    >> My problem was that I bought my camera from ETown in Auckland - a
    >> parallel
    >> importer. I felt that Canon could rightfully decline to help with a
    >> camera
    >> they had not imported.
    >>
    >> When I asked ETown to repair my camera without charge they just pointed
    >> out
    >> that I had the camera for 2.5 years, and their warranty was only 12
    >> months.
    >>
    >> There was some exchange of correspondence in which I pointed out their
    >> obligations under the Consumer Guarantees Act, and that their warranty
    >> period was irrelevant.
    >>
    >> To cut a long story short, I stuck to my guns and ETown eventually agreed
    >> to take my camera back and to take up the matter with Canon. At that
    >> stage
    >> they still didn't accept any liability to do more than this.
    >>
    >> Anyway, it all ended happily for me. Canon supplied a brand new S3IS in
    >> exchange for the faulty one, and I'm delighted with the new camera.
    >>
    >> I wasn't very impressed with ETown's attitude, but am highly impressed
    >> with
    >> Canon's approach.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> John S

    >That's a big step up from what you had. What was the point in ETown arguing
    >the toss when the decision with what to do about it was up to Canon and
    >would've been at Canon's expense?
    >Great how some bastard in the middle likes to speak for the manufacturer
    >when they don't even work for the manufacturer.
    >You would've had less hassle through a proper camera retailer.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    Yes it was all Sony's fault, they made the bad sensors.
    Mathew Good, Mar 5, 2007
  4. John S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John S wrote:
    > Back in December 2006 there was a thread about digital cameras in
    > which one poster experienced failure of his Canon camera and was
    > looking for advice on a replacement.
    >
    > I had a Canon S1IS at the time and experienced a sensor failure with
    > the same symptoms. I went to Canon site and read their service
    > bulletin about this failure.
    >
    > My problem was that I bought my camera from ETown in Auckland - a
    > parallel importer. I felt that Canon could rightfully decline to
    > help with a camera they had not imported.
    >
    > When I asked ETown to repair my camera without charge they just
    > pointed out that I had the camera for 2.5 years, and their warranty
    > was only 12 months.
    >
    > There was some exchange of correspondence in which I pointed out their
    > obligations under the Consumer Guarantees Act, and that their warranty
    > period was irrelevant.
    >
    > To cut a long story short, I stuck to my guns and ETown eventually
    > agreed to take my camera back and to take up the matter with Canon.
    > At that stage they still didn't accept any liability to do more than
    > this.
    >
    > Anyway, it all ended happily for me. Canon supplied a brand new S3IS
    > in exchange for the faulty one, and I'm delighted with the new camera.
    >
    > I wasn't very impressed with ETown's attitude, but am highly
    > impressed with Canon's approach.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    Cool. Well done John, thanks for the update.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Mar 5, 2007
  5. John S

    Kent Smith Guest

    Mathew Good wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 13:33:26 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >

    >> "John S" <> wrote in message
    >>> Back in December 2006 there was a thread about digital cameras in
    >>> which one
    >>> poster experienced failure of his Canon camera and was looking for
    >>> advice on a replacement.
    >>>
    >>> I had a Canon S1IS at the time and experienced a sensor failure
    >>> with the same symptoms. I went to Canon site and read their service
    >>> bulletin about this failure.
    >>>
    >>> My problem was that I bought my camera from ETown in Auckland - a
    >>> parallel
    >>> importer. I felt that Canon could rightfully decline to help with a
    >>> camera
    >>> they had not imported.
    >>>
    >>> When I asked ETown to repair my camera without charge they just
    >>> pointed out
    >>> that I had the camera for 2.5 years, and their warranty was only 12
    >>> months.
    >>>
    >>> There was some exchange of correspondence in which I pointed out
    >>> their obligations under the Consumer Guarantees Act, and that their
    >>> warranty period was irrelevant.
    >>>
    >>> To cut a long story short, I stuck to my guns and ETown eventually
    >>> agreed to take my camera back and to take up the matter with Canon.
    >>> At that stage
    >>> they still didn't accept any liability to do more than this.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, it all ended happily for me. Canon supplied a brand new
    >>> S3IS in exchange for the faulty one, and I'm delighted with the new
    >>> camera.
    >>>
    >>> I wasn't very impressed with ETown's attitude, but am highly
    >>> impressed with
    >>> Canon's approach.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> John S

    >> That's a big step up from what you had. What was the point in ETown
    >> arguing the toss when the decision with what to do about it was up
    >> to Canon and would've been at Canon's expense?
    >> Great how some bastard in the middle likes to speak for the
    >> manufacturer when they don't even work for the manufacturer.
    >> You would've had less hassle through a proper camera retailer.
    >>

    > Yes it was all Sony's fault, they made the bad sensors.

    From what I remember of this problem, it was a recall wasn't it? It
    shouldn't matter whether it was under warrenty or not.

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Mar 5, 2007
  6. John S

    PeeCee Guest

    "John S" <> wrote in message
    > Back in December 2006 there was a thread about digital cameras in which
    > one
    > poster experienced failure of his Canon camera and was looking for advice
    > on a replacement.
    >
    > I had a Canon S1IS at the time and experienced a sensor failure with the
    > same symptoms. I went to Canon site and read their service bulletin about
    > this failure.
    >
    > My problem was that I bought my camera from ETown in Auckland - a
    > parallel
    > importer. I felt that Canon could rightfully decline to help with a
    > camera
    > they had not imported.
    >
    > When I asked ETown to repair my camera without charge they just pointed
    > out
    > that I had the camera for 2.5 years, and their warranty was only 12
    > months.
    >
    > There was some exchange of correspondence in which I pointed out their
    > obligations under the Consumer Guarantees Act, and that their warranty
    > period was irrelevant.
    >
    > To cut a long story short, I stuck to my guns and ETown eventually agreed
    > to take my camera back and to take up the matter with Canon. At that
    > stage
    > they still didn't accept any liability to do more than this.
    >
    > Anyway, it all ended happily for me. Canon supplied a brand new S3IS in
    > exchange for the faulty one, and I'm delighted with the new camera.
    >
    > I wasn't very impressed with ETown's attitude, but am highly impressed
    > with
    > Canon's approach.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    John

    Saw the same thread here and advised my Son to send his Sony DSP72 in for
    replacement.
    Pleased to say the retailer was up to speed on the recall, took the camera
    without question (it was purchased there) and the repaired Camera was back
    within a few weeks.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Mar 5, 2007