    pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
    the desktop?

    Thanks.

    Tim, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Tim

    Marc Heusser Guest

    In article <>,
    Tim <> wrote:

    > I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
    > using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
    > the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
    > drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
    > pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
    > the desktop?

    You'd have to have the camera play a hard drive.

    I think you can set it either to P2P or Mass storage - as far as I
    remember both work with my Nikon.

    And prevent Mac OS X from opening iPhoto (unless you want to have iPhoto
    copy the photos to your Mac).

    From iPhoto Help:
    iPhoto works with Image Capture, an application included with Mac OS X,
    to transfer pictures from your digital camera to your photo library.
    When you open iPhoto for the first time, you're asked if you want iPhoto
    to open each time you connect a camera to your computer. You can also
    choose a different application.
    To choose the application that opens:
    1. Make sure no cameras are connected to your computer.
    2. Open Image Capture (in your Applications folder).
    3. Choose Image Capture > Preferences.
    4. Click General at the top of the Preferences window and choose an
    application from the pop-up menu.

    HTH

    Marc

    --
    Switzerland/Europe
    <http://www.heusser.com>

    Marc Heusser, Jul 24, 2006

  3. Tim

    WT Guest

    > I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
    > using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
    > the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
    > drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
    > pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
    > the desktop?

    If OS X is not seeing the usb device, perhaps try a Mac driver for that
    camera. Or just use a card reader. Most people find them cheap and
    more convenient. Are you trying to use the computer to control the
    camera? If so, you need remote control software for OS X and your
    camera.

    WT, Jul 24, 2006
  4. Tim

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Tim wrote:

    > I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
    > using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
    > the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
    > drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
    > pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
    > the desktop?

    Canon cameras can't be treated as external drives. For some
    reason Canon doesn't want to support USB mass storage. (There
    are other cameras brands that take this approach as well).

    Canon has its own protocol (usually called 'Normal' in the camera
    menu under 'Communications') most newer cameras also have the widely
    supported PTP protocol. (Picture Transfer Protocol).

    It appears OSX supports PTP (sorry for the long URL.. depending on
    your reader, you might have to fix the line wrap).

    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...t&fcategoryid=139&modelid=11154&keycode=macdr

    The best way by far is to pick up a USB card reader. You can
    plug these into any modern computer. They only cost about 15
    bucks for a basic one. You pay a bit more for USB2 but not
    that much.

    Jim Townsend, Jul 24, 2006
  5. On 7/23/06 5:58 PM, WT wrote:
    >> I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
    >> using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
    >> the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
    >> drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
    >> pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
    >> the desktop?

    > If OS X is not seeing the usb device, perhaps try a Mac driver for that
    > camera. Or just use a card reader. Most people find them cheap and
    > more convenient. Are you trying to use the computer to control the
    > camera? If so, you need remote control software for OS X and your
    > camera.

    It's always helpful to state what version of osX- or other software- one
    is using as well as machine.

    A card reader with Image Capture is the most convenient way I have
    found. That'll put the images in a folder of your choice in a location
    of your choice, and from there to PS, GraphicConverter, iPhoto, or
    Lightroom are good choices.

    When I checked a month or so ago, Canon didn't seem to have updated
    their software to be compatible with the MacBookPro, or maybe not the
    version of 10.4.6/7 I am running.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jul 24, 2006
  6. Tim

    Marc Heusser Guest

    In article <nospam-F6B602.19583523072006@shawnews>,
    WT <> wrote:

    > > I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
    > > using the included USB cable. ...

    > If OS X is not seeing the usb device, perhaps try a Mac driver for that
    > camera. ...

    OS X supports A420, A530, and A700 - the A620 should be sufficiently
    similar, and has a USB 2.0 connection. It should work without drivers, I
    hope.

    Marc

    Marc Heusser, Jul 24, 2006
  7. In article <>,
    John McWilliams <> wrote:

    > A card reader with Image Capture is the most convenient way I have
    > found. That'll put the images in a folder of your choice in a location
    > of your choice, and from there to PS, GraphicConverter, iPhoto, or
    > Lightroom are good choices.

    No matter whether you go for a card reader or the camera cable, Image
    Capture and iPhoto have the added benefit of being able to embed a color
    profile during import which will prove helpful when editing/printing.
    You don't get that normally when manually pulling images off a mounted
    card/camera.

    --
    Cheers Martin

    Martin Sammtleben, Jul 24, 2006
  8. Tim

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    Tim <> wrote:

    > I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
    > using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
    > the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
    > drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
    > pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
    > the desktop?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Speaking as a long time Canon digital camera owner who uses Mac OS X,
    save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a card reader. 'Nuf said.

    Shawn Hirn, Jul 24, 2006
  9. Tim

    aRKay Guest

    In article <>,
    Shawn Hirn <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Tim <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
    > > using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
    > > the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
    > > drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
    > > pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
    > > the desktop?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > Speaking as a long time Canon digital camera owner who uses Mac OS X,
    > save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a card reader. 'Nuf said.

    I agree with buying a card reader but I have used the cable with my
    Canon SD-410. When you attach a cable or card, the Mac OSX opens iPhoto
    and gives you the option to import the pictures. Let iPhoto do its
    thing then drag them where you want if you don't like iPhoto.

    The Mac OSX iPhoto works great with Canon digital cameras.

    aRKay, Jul 25, 2006
  10. On 7/24/06 4:26 PM, aRKay wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Tim <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
    >>> using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
    >>> the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
    >>> drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
    >>> pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
    >>> the desktop?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Speaking as a long time Canon digital camera owner who uses Mac OS X,
    >> save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a card reader. 'Nuf said.

    > I agree with buying a card reader but I have used the cable with my
    > Canon SD-410. When you attach a cable or card, the Mac OSX opens iPhoto
    > and gives you the option to import the pictures. Let iPhoto do its
    > thing then drag them where you want if you don't like iPhoto.
    >
    > The Mac OSX iPhoto works great with Canon digital cameras.

    What version and what machine, please?

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jul 25, 2006
  11. Tim

    Rodger Stamm Guest

    In article <>,
    Tim <> wrote:

    > I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
    > using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
    > the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
    > drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
    > pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
    > the desktop?
    >
    > Thanks.

    You should have Image Capture application in your Applications folder.
    Set the camera setting to no applications in the preferences.

    --
    Rodger

    Rodger Stamm, Jul 25, 2006
  12. In article <>, Shawn Hirn <> writes:

    >In article <>,
    > Tim <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
    >> using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
    >> the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
    >> drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
    >> pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
    >> the desktop?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >Speaking as a long time Canon digital camera owner who uses Mac OS X,
    >save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a card reader. 'Nuf said.

    Ditto.

    A little story about card readers...

    I have 2 Canon 20Ds which use Compact Flash. I had a PCMCIA Compact Flash
    reader I used for some time. It was faster than using the USB from the 20D
    itself. I'd been toying with purchasing a new MacBookPro but the choice to
    use ExpressCard/34 that Apple made assured me that I'd never see a Compact
    Flash ExpressCard/34 option (CF cards are larger than the 34mm of the EC/34
    slot). I started exploring the external card readers.

    Aperture worked much better and faster with the external card readers! I
    tried both USB and Firewire. I finally purchased a Lexar Firewire Compact
    Flash card reader. The all firewire readers had a considerable edge over
    the same USB (same mfg) readers.

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG, Jul 25, 2006
  13. Tim

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 23:26:18 GMT, aRKay <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Tim <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
    >> > using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
    >> > the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
    >> > drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
    >> > pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
    >> > the desktop?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.

    >> Speaking as a long time Canon digital camera owner who uses Mac OS X,
    >> save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a card reader. 'Nuf said.

    >I agree with buying a card reader but I have used the cable with my
    >Canon SD-410. When you attach a cable or card, the Mac OSX opens iPhoto
    >and gives you the option to import the pictures. Let iPhoto do its
    >thing then drag them where you want if you don't like iPhoto.
    >
    >The Mac OSX iPhoto works great with Canon digital cameras.

    The OP wants to bypass any other software, and see the camera as a
    drive.
    Canons don't do that.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Jul 25, 2006
  14. Tim

    WT Guest

    > >> I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
    > >> using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
    > >> the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
    > >> drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
    > >> pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
    > >> the desktop?

    > >Speaking as a long time Canon digital camera owner who uses Mac OS X,
    > >save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a card reader. 'Nuf said.

    > I have 2 Canon 20Ds which use Compact Flash. I had a PCMCIA Compact Flash
    > reader I used for some time. It was faster than using the USB from the 20D
    > itself. I'd been toying with purchasing a new MacBookPro but the choice to
    > use ExpressCard/34 that Apple made assured me that I'd never see a Compact
    > Flash ExpressCard/34 option (CF cards are larger than the 34mm of the EC/34
    > slot). I started exploring the external card readers.
    >
    > Aperture worked much better and faster with the external card readers! I
    > tried both USB and Firewire. I finally purchased a Lexar Firewire Compact
    > Flash card reader. The all firewire readers had a considerable edge over
    > the same USB (same mfg) readers.

    Moving TIFFS can take a lot of time so:
    So how was the speed of the firewire (400?) card reader compared to the
    PCMIA?
    Are there any internal IDE or SATA card readers?
    Are there any external SATA card readers?
    Are there any firewire 800 card readers?

    WT, Jul 25, 2006
  15. Tim

    Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
    > using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
    > the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
    > drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
    > pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
    > the desktop?

    Why do you want to drag the photos onto your hard drive manually? Why
    not use the software Canon provides?

    I bought a Canon PowerShot S-80 in February; it came with a Canon
    Utilities package that is completely adequate for anything I have
    needed to do so far, and seems more convenient (and less baffling) than
    iPhoto. It works well with Mac OS X 10.4.6 on my iMac G5 (iSight) and
    hasn't given me any problems at all.

    In particular, Canon's ImageBrowser (version 5.5.0.21) is convenient
    for organizing the photos on a hard drive. By default it places the
    image files taken on a given day in a folder with the date as the
    folder name, but you can change the name -- say, add a brief
    description -- if you choose to. The folders and the image files can
    be moved, copied, renamed, or deleted at will, either with ImageBrowser
    itself or with the Finder -- unlike iPhoto which always seems to have a
    mind of its own as to where your image files should be stored. For any
    photo, ImageBrowser shows complete information on the camera settings
    (26 items for the S-80) as well as the brightness histogram. It also
    allows you to examine the photo at full resolution and compare up to
    four images side by side. It can be used to print a photo in your
    choice of size, orientation, and with or without the exposure date (in
    any color you choose).

    Transferring from camera to hard drive is automatic when you plug the
    USB cable into the camera. The computer loads a program called Camera
    Window that allows you to upload all your photos or only the new ones,
    as you choose. If you have a card reader, the same program will upload
    from the memory card equally well. Again, why struggle to transfer
    your photos to your hard drive when this free program does it for you
    intelligently and easily?

    , Jul 27, 2006
  16. Tim

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Tim <> wrote:

    > I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
    > using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
    > the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
    > drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
    > pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
    > the desktop?

    I used to own a Sony S70 and transferred pictures using the USB but the
    cable became faulty after a year or two so I was forced to get a small
    card reader. This simply becomes an icon on the desktop under OSX.
    While it's very easy, you'll have to sort and label the pictures
    yourself, but it does allow you to create a folder to dump unedited
    pictures for backup to CDR or DVD.

    Stewy, Jul 28, 2006
  17. Tim

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <>,
    Stewy <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Tim <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Canon Powershot A620 which I'm trying to transfer photos from
    > > using the included USB cable. I can use the Canon software to transfer
    > > the pictures but I'd rather just mount the camera on my OS X desktop and
    > > drag the images to the hard drive. I used to be able to transfer
    > > pictures from my old Nikon that way. Any idea how to mount the camera on
    > > the desktop?

    > I used to own a Sony S70 and transferred pictures using the USB but the
    > cable became faulty after a year or two so I was forced to get a small
    > card reader. This simply becomes an icon on the desktop under OSX.
    > While it's very easy, you'll have to sort and label the pictures
    > yourself, but it does allow you to create a folder to dump unedited
    > pictures for backup to CDR or DVD.

    IPhoto will import pictures from a mounted card reader.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

    Tom Stiller, Jul 28, 2006
  18. Tim

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    John McWilliams <> wrote:

    > On 7/24/06 4:26 PM, aRKay wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Shawn Hirn <> wrote:

    > >> Speaking as a long time Canon digital camera owner who uses Mac OS X,
    > >> save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a card reader. 'Nuf said.

    > > I agree with buying a card reader but I have used the cable with my
    > > Canon SD-410. When you attach a cable or card, the Mac OSX opens iPhoto
    > > and gives you the option to import the pictures. Let iPhoto do its
    > > thing then drag them where you want if you don't like iPhoto.
    > >
    > > The Mac OSX iPhoto works great with Canon digital cameras.

    > What version and what machine, please?

    iPhoto 6 http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/
    on any G4 or G5

    Stewy, Jul 30, 2006
  19. OS X and Windows XP use a protocol known as PPTP. This mode does not mount
    anything on the Desktop as far as I know.

    Becuase I use my Nikon with Windows 200 and Macintosh I have set the camera
    to use USB disk mode rather than PPTP so I always get a mounted disk.

    Possibly the Canon can be set to use a mode other than PPTP?

    Richard Tomkins, Jul 30, 2006
  20. Tim

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Richard Tomkins wrote:

    > OS X and Windows XP use a protocol known as PPTP. This mode does not mount
    > anything on the Desktop as far as I know.
    >
    > Becuase I use my Nikon with Windows 200 and Macintosh I have set the camera
    > to use USB disk mode rather than PPTP so I always get a mounted disk.
    >
    > Possibly the Canon can be set to use a mode other than PPTP?

    No. For some reason, Canon doesn't like to include USB mass storage
    in their cameras. (I don't know of any Canon models that have this).

    Canon only uses Picture transfer protocol (PTP) and their own proprietary
    protocol. They can't be accessed directly like a drive.

    Jim Townsend, Jul 30, 2006