    interchangeable lenses.

    Any help appreciated.

    Cheers Blair
    Corky, Apr 6, 2006

  2. Corky

    frederick Guest

    Corky wrote:
    > I am now looking to upgrade my digital camera and would like some
    > input into what I should now be looking at buying. Last I saw there
    > was a Canon G5 but I don't mind paying extra for the right digital
    > camera which would be good for shooting high speed motorcycle races
    > and also have good zoom functionality or even
    > interchangeable lenses.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >

    > Cheers Blair

    For reviews:
    http://www.dpreview.com

    For shooting high speed motorcycle races, a Nikon D2x or Canon 1Ds Mk
    II, the former with a Nikkor AF-s VR 200-400mm IF ED, the latter with
    something like an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens should do the
    trick reasonably well.
    I'm guessing that you are after something below that price range. Some
    of the "super-zoom" compact cameras might do the trick, preferably one
    with image stabilisation. Check reviews for features like shutter-lag,
    burst mode, focus speed, and viewfinder speed. Any of the cheaper DSLRS
    will do better because they have close to no "lag' (the wait from when
    you press the shutter and the photo is taken, nor a wait for an
    electronic viewfinder to catch up with what's happening in the real
    world, but be prepared to pay serious money for lenses that are really
    good for shooting action, and prepare for a learning curve as they are
    more demanding to use than a smaller compact camera.
    frederick, Apr 6, 2006

  3. Corky

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Corky <> wrote:

    > I am now looking to upgrade my digital camera and would like some
    > input into what I should now be looking at buying. Last I saw there
    > was a Canon G5 but I don't mind paying extra for the right digital
    > camera which would be good for shooting high speed motorcycle races
    > and also have good zoom functionality or even
    > interchangeable lenses.

    For anything fast changing, or fast moving, you *really* want to use an
    SLR camera. Live viewfinder. Fast focussing. Taking the picture
    really quickly when you press the button. Fast mechanical zoom.
    Control over depth-of-field so you can blur the background and make the
    subject stand out from it. High ISO (800 - 3200) without a lot of
    noise. Large in-camera buffer so you can take a dozen or more shots
    very quickly without having to wait for each image to be written to the
    card.

    Take a look at my pictures from the Gliding Grand Prix in Omarama in
    January:

    http://www.hoult.org/bruce/gp06

    They were doing 250 - 300 km/h in the low passes such as this one:

    http://www.hoult.org/bruce/gp06/gp06-Pages/Image67.html

    These were taken with a Nikon D70s. Everything except the seven photos
    in the briefing were taken with Nikon's cheap $220 70-300mm lens:

    http://www.parallelimported.co.nz/view.php?item=1287

    A D70 or D50 or the Canon 350D would all do just as well. The D70 in
    particular is starting to come up quite regularly on trademe at
    reasonable prices under $1000 now that it's a couple of years old and
    the D200 is out. e.g. buy now of $730:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Digital-cameras/6-megapi
    xel/auction-52744085.htm

    Or buy now of $650:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Digital-cameras/6-megapi
    xel/auction-52917400.htm

    The D70 can be upgraded to the same firmware as my D70s, which makes the
    only difference the slightly larger LCD on the D70s.

    I wouldn't even think about paying $900 for a Canon G6 or any other
    non-SLR for this sort of sports photgraphy use. I have a $350 pocket
    camera myself. It's just fine for landscapes and groups of people and
    things like that, but when you've got a demanding use, use an SLR.
    They've gotten *much* more affordable now than they were even 12 or 24
    months ago.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Apr 6, 2006
  4. Corky

    Peter S Guest

    "Corky" <> wrote in message
    > I am now looking to upgrade my digital camera and would like some
    > input into what I should now be looking at buying. Last I saw there
    > was a Canon G5 but I don't mind paying extra for the right digital
    > camera which would be good for shooting high speed motorcycle races
    > and also have good zoom functionality or even
    > interchangeable lenses.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >

    > Cheers Blair

    I have a Canon Powershot G5 myself, its a good camera but I wouldn't buy one
    these days. I'd just look at an nz supplier website for prices and
    availability here, and use http://www.dpreview.com for reviews. I wouldn't
    buy online, just get the cheapest price you can get them for in NZ, print
    out the web page with the price on it and take it to a camera shop. They'll
    beat the price.

    While I wouldn't buy a G5 these days, I would buy another Canon. Probably an
    SLR.

    Cheers.
    Peter S, Apr 6, 2006
  5. Corky

    MarkH Guest

    Corky <> wrote in

    > I am now looking to upgrade my digital camera and would like some
    > input into what I should now be looking at buying. Last I saw there
    > was a Canon G5 but I don't mind paying extra for the right digital
    > camera which would be good for shooting high speed motorcycle races
    > and also have good zoom functionality or even
    > interchangeable lenses.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    Here's my advice:
    Anything other than an SLR is a waste of time for your stated use.

    Canon have these D-SLRs that will work with any Canon EOS lens and many
    Tamron, Tokina and Sigma lenses:
    350D - Well priced but still capable of doing what you want.
    20D - Now superseded so may be available at a good price, still damn good.
    30D - The replacement for the 20D, the best without paying heaps.
    1DMkII N - The best choice, but around $7K just for the camera (no lens).

    If your budget is huge then the best lens may be the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 EX
    lens. But there are many cheaper lenses that will do a good job. The
    Canon 100-400 f5.6L IS lens is worth investing in for a good long zoom lens
    (on the 350D, 20D or 30D you would get the equivalent field of view of a
    160-640mm lens on 35mm).

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Apr 6, 2006
  6. Corky

    Corky Guest

    On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:15:27 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >Corky <> wrote in
    >
    >> I am now looking to upgrade my digital camera and would like some
    >> input into what I should now be looking at buying. Last I saw there
    >> was a Canon G5 but I don't mind paying extra for the right digital
    >> camera which would be good for shooting high speed motorcycle races
    >> and also have good zoom functionality or even
    >> interchangeable lenses.
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated.

    >Here's my advice:
    >Anything other than an SLR is a waste of time for your stated use.
    >
    >Canon have these D-SLRs that will work with any Canon EOS lens and many
    >Tamron, Tokina and Sigma lenses:
    >350D - Well priced but still capable of doing what you want.
    >20D - Now superseded so may be available at a good price, still damn good.
    >30D - The replacement for the 20D, the best without paying heaps.
    >1DMkII N - The best choice, but around $7K just for the camera (no lens).
    >
    >If your budget is huge then the best lens may be the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 EX
    >lens. But there are many cheaper lenses that will do a good job. The
    >Canon 100-400 f5.6L IS lens is worth investing in for a good long zoom lens
    >(on the 350D, 20D or 30D you would get the equivalent field of view of a
    >160-640mm lens on 35mm).

    Excellent help everyone. I'm leaning towards the 30D at the moment.

    Cheers Blair
    Corky, Apr 7, 2006
  7. Corky

    Corky Guest

    On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:15:27 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >Corky <> wrote in
    >
    >> I am now looking to upgrade my digital camera and would like some
    >> input into what I should now be looking at buying. Last I saw there
    >> was a Canon G5 but I don't mind paying extra for the right digital
    >> camera which would be good for shooting high speed motorcycle races
    >> and also have good zoom functionality or even
    >> interchangeable lenses.
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated.

    >Here's my advice:
    >Anything other than an SLR is a waste of time for your stated use.
    >
    >Canon have these D-SLRs that will work with any Canon EOS lens and many
    >Tamron, Tokina and Sigma lenses:
    >350D - Well priced but still capable of doing what you want.
    >20D - Now superseded so may be available at a good price, still damn good.
    >30D - The replacement for the 20D, the best without paying heaps.
    >1DMkII N - The best choice, but around $7K just for the camera (no lens).
    >
    >If your budget is huge then the best lens may be the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 EX
    >lens. But there are many cheaper lenses that will do a good job. The
    >Canon 100-400 f5.6L IS lens is worth investing in for a good long zoom lens
    >(on the 350D, 20D or 30D you would get the equivalent field of view of a
    >160-640mm lens on 35mm).

    Hi Mark

    What do you think of this setup:
    Canon 30D
    Lexor 1GB 80X CF card
    Spare Canon battery

    Sigma 50mm 2.8 (1.1) Macro lense
    Canon EF 100-300 F4.5 lense

    The salesman I spoke to said the standard lense that comes with the
    30D is not that brilliant and I should consider the Canon 17-85 USM
    but at $1095 should this be a serious consideration?.

    I already have a Canon 420EX flash that is compatible with the camera.

    Cheers Blair
    Corky, Apr 8, 2006
  8. Corky

    Jerry Guest

    Corky wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:15:27 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >

    >>Corky <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> I am now looking to upgrade my digital camera and would like some
    >>>input into what I should now be looking at buying. Last I saw there
    >>>was a Canon G5 but I don't mind paying extra for the right digital
    >>>camera which would be good for shooting high speed motorcycle races
    >>>and also have good zoom functionality or even
    >>>interchangeable lenses.
    >>>
    >>>Any help appreciated.

    >>Here's my advice:
    >>Anything other than an SLR is a waste of time for your stated use.
    >>
    >>Canon have these D-SLRs that will work with any Canon EOS lens and many
    >>Tamron, Tokina and Sigma lenses:
    >>350D - Well priced but still capable of doing what you want.
    >>20D - Now superseded so may be available at a good price, still damn good.
    >>30D - The replacement for the 20D, the best without paying heaps.
    >>1DMkII N - The best choice, but around $7K just for the camera (no lens).
    >>
    >>If your budget is huge then the best lens may be the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 EX
    >>lens. But there are many cheaper lenses that will do a good job. The
    >>Canon 100-400 f5.6L IS lens is worth investing in for a good long zoom lens
    >>(on the 350D, 20D or 30D you would get the equivalent field of view of a
    >>160-640mm lens on 35mm).

    > Hi Mark
    >
    > What do you think of this setup:
    > Canon 30D
    > Lexor 1GB 80X CF card
    > Spare Canon battery
    >
    > Sigma 50mm 2.8 (1.1) Macro lense
    > Canon EF 100-300 F4.5 lense
    >
    > The salesman I spoke to said the standard lense that comes with the
    > 30D is not that brilliant and I should consider the Canon 17-85 USM
    > but at $1095 should this be a serious consideration?.
    >
    > I already have a Canon 420EX flash that is compatible with the camera.
    >
    > Cheers Blair

    I have a 300D with the standard lenses, and no problems. For motorcycle
    racing you want something bigger than the 17-85. I have a spare battery
    for mine, but haven't needed it, it takes hundreds of pics. Still, nice
    to know that if I need one I have it. Mine came with a 256MB CF card,
    I've since got a 1G and 2G. If you get carried away shooring at the
    races, you will fill your 1GB card. The 300D and 350D come with EFS
    lenses, that are cheaper than the higher models. The 30D looks awesome,
    you should be very happy with it.
    Jerry, Apr 8, 2006
  9. Corky

    Corky Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 15:16:24 +1200, Jerry <>
    wrote:

    >> Hi Mark
    >>
    >> What do you think of this setup:
    >> Canon 30D
    >> Lexor 1GB 80X CF card
    >> Spare Canon battery
    >>
    >> Sigma 50mm 2.8 (1.1) Macro lense
    >> Canon EF 100-300 F4.5 lense
    >>
    >> The salesman I spoke to said the standard lense that comes with the
    >> 30D is not that brilliant and I should consider the Canon 17-85 USM
    >> but at $1095 should this be a serious consideration?.
    >>
    >> I already have a Canon 420EX flash that is compatible with the camera.
    >>
    >> Cheers Blair

    >I have a 300D with the standard lenses, and no problems. For motorcycle
    >racing you want something bigger than the 17-85. I have a spare battery
    >for mine, but haven't needed it, it takes hundreds of pics. Still, nice
    >to know that if I need one I have it. Mine came with a 256MB CF card,
    >I've since got a 1G and 2G. If you get carried away shooring at the
    >races, you will fill your 1GB card. The 300D and 350D come with EFS
    >lenses, that are cheaper than the higher models. The 30D looks awesome,
    >you should be very happy with it.

    Hi Jerry

    Thanks for the feedback. Out of interest when shooting in the highest
    capacity what are the individual file sizes. For my old G2 in large
    JPG was 2.2MB and TIFF was 10MB.

    Cheers Blair
    Corky, Apr 8, 2006
  10. Corky

    Jerry Guest

    Corky wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 15:16:24 +1200, Jerry <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>>Hi Mark
    >>>
    >>>What do you think of this setup:
    >>>Canon 30D
    >>>Lexor 1GB 80X CF card
    >>>Spare Canon battery
    >>>
    >>>Sigma 50mm 2.8 (1.1) Macro lense
    >>>Canon EF 100-300 F4.5 lense
    >>>
    >>>The salesman I spoke to said the standard lense that comes with the
    >>>30D is not that brilliant and I should consider the Canon 17-85 USM
    >>>but at $1095 should this be a serious consideration?.
    >>>
    >>>I already have a Canon 420EX flash that is compatible with the camera.
    >>>
    >>>Cheers Blair

    >>I have a 300D with the standard lenses, and no problems. For motorcycle
    >>racing you want something bigger than the 17-85. I have a spare battery
    >>for mine, but haven't needed it, it takes hundreds of pics. Still, nice
    >>to know that if I need one I have it. Mine came with a 256MB CF card,
    >>I've since got a 1G and 2G. If you get carried away shooring at the
    >>races, you will fill your 1GB card. The 300D and 350D come with EFS
    >>lenses, that are cheaper than the higher models. The 30D looks awesome,
    >>you should be very happy with it.

    > Hi Jerry
    >
    > Thanks for the feedback. Out of interest when shooting in the highest
    > capacity what are the individual file sizes. For my old G2 in large
    > JPG was 2.2MB and TIFF was 10MB.
    >
    > Cheers Blair

    Large JPG is between 2 - 3 MB on mine. Yours will be a little more as
    mine is a 6 rather than 8 megapixel. I haven't been shooting raw, the
    jpegs are good enough for me.
    Jerry, Apr 8, 2006
  11. Corky

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > Corky wrote:

    >>>I have a 300D with the standard lenses, and no problems. For motorcycle
    >>>racing you want something bigger than the 17-85. I have a spare battery
    >>>for mine, but haven't needed it, it takes hundreds of pics. Still, nice
    >>>to know that if I need one I have it. Mine came with a 256MB CF card,
    >>>I've since got a 1G and 2G. If you get carried away shooring at the
    >>>races, you will fill your 1GB card. The 300D and 350D come with EFS
    >>>lenses, that are cheaper than the higher models. The 30D looks awesome,
    >>>you should be very happy with it.

    >> Hi Jerry
    >>
    >> Thanks for the feedback. Out of interest when shooting in the highest
    >> capacity what are the individual file sizes. For my old G2 in large
    >> JPG was 2.2MB and TIFF was 10MB.
    >>
    >> Cheers Blair
    >>

    > Large JPG is between 2 - 3 MB on mine. Yours will be a little more as
    > mine is a 6 rather than 8 megapixel. I haven't been shooting raw, the
    > jpegs are good enough for me.

    A 12 megapixel camera is going to be like having a big lens to start with.
    The size of a 12 megapixel RAW image is going to be damn good resolution
    wise. MB wise doesn't matter when you're going for all out quality.

    All kinds of combinations will do the job - even more so if the images are
    going to eventually be heavily compressed into tiny little disgusting jpg
    images.

    No doubt the camera that Blair has did the job well enough to a degree.
    Almost any step up from that should be quite an improvement. Especially
    when he already has a camera and the results which he can figure what it
    would take to do a damn sight even better.
    The big decision is just how big a step the buyer should take. A small step
    forward could be disappointing not too long afterwards.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Apr 8, 2006
  12. Corky

    MarkH Guest

    Corky <> wrote in

    > Hi Mark
    >
    > What do you think of this setup:
    > Canon 30D
    > Lexor 1GB 80X CF card
    > Spare Canon battery
    >
    > Sigma 50mm 2.8 (1.1) Macro lense
    > Canon EF 100-300 F4.5 lense
    >
    > I already have a Canon 420EX flash that is compatible with the camera.

    That should be pretty good for getting you started. The good thing is that
    the CF cards and lenses are plentiful and easy to get hold of, so you can
    change or add what you need as you need it.

    The 100-300 lens is a pretty good choice because it is reasonably priced
    and will give you a good idea of what lens length you need. You could step
    up from that to a Canon 100-400 if you needed more length or if you need
    wider aperture there are a couple of good lenses with a max aperture of
    f2.8. But you need to get some gear and start shooting before you will
    know what you need - for this the Canon EOS system is great, because you
    have so many choices for adding to your system if and when you require.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Apr 8, 2006