Canon dealer problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ransley, Jun 22, 2008.

  1. ransley

    ransley Guest

    I just bought a new Canon 450 Rebel XSI from Wolf - Ritz Camera in
    Oak Park-Chicago Illinois, upon unboxing it the orange plastic
    battery cover was completely cracked. Knowing Canon would not send out
    a cracked battery cover I believe an employee just wanted a new
    battery and rushed their actions and broke it, in swapping it out. I
    went back but they had no more Rebels for an exchange.

    The Lcd took 15 cleanings to remove a smudge in a corner so I might
    suspect I bought a demo as smuges - oils from hands can penetrate
    plastics.

    Is any part of a New Canon covered by a removable protective plastic
    film as my Sonys Lcds were?. My Rebel had none.

    I have read total shots of a dslr is permanently recorded in Canons
    but the manual does not show it or I cant find it, can anyone show me
    how to access memory to see total shots taken on my new Rebel.

    Wolf agreed I will get a new battery. But used is used and I paid
    for a New Canon Rebel.

    All my Canon film slr stuff I bought used , and I paid used prices
    but It is agravating paying new prices and seeing evidence what I
    bought is used.

    Is there any other way to confirm you bought an unused new Canon
    Rebel XSI. Thanks..

    ransley, Jun 22, 2008

  2. ransley

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:01:02 -0500, Jack <> wrote:

    >[posted and mailed]
    >
    >Your mistake was in buying from Wolf Camera. Their prices are higher than
    >from reputable merchants on-line. I have purchased several Canon digital
    >cameras and none were wrapped in plasic. Nikon doesn't wrap their cameras
    >in plastic either. Camera stores often open boxes and show customers
    >cameras, so shrink wrapping would not not let them do that.
    >I bought my last two Nikon DSLRs from B&H Photo on-line and have never had
    >a problem even though the boxes were not shrink wrapped. Their prices were
    >considerably lower than Wolf-Ritz Camera, as well. I may look at a camera
    >at Wolf, but I buy from B&H. No sales tax either on-line.
    >Your camera is probably not used. Perhaps a prospective customer handled
    >it, but I would not call that used.

    And I've purchased two Nikon D40s (one for me and one for my daughter)
    at Ritz Camera online. I've also purchased a Nikon P2, a Canon
    something (I forget what it was), a Sony video camera for me, a JVC
    video camera for my son, and a couple of lenses...all from Ritz
    online.

    The service was always top-notch, the prices equal-to or better than
    other online dealers, the shipping was free, and no sales tax was
    charged.

    The OP has a problem with a Wolf/Ritz camera store. He should have
    immediately taken the camera back to the store and worked with them.
    He should not have attempted to clean the LCD.

    Your claim that B&H is "considerably lower" than Ritz is bullshit.
    Both online operations are competitive in pricing. Either Ritz or B&H
    may have a temporary special on some item that makes them lower, but
    you have to be in the market for that item to take advantage of it.
    Be a little patient, and the other store will have a special.

    I would buy from B&H as I consider them a reputable company with a
    good service record. Their prices are competitive. However, I've
    dealt with Ritz because I've been pleased with them and I'm loyal to
    vendors who perform.

    You have to deal with B&H carefully because they do sell "gray market"
    items. They are upfront about it, though, and tell you when it's gray
    market...if you ask or if you read the listing carefully.

    Where Ritz, B&H, and all the rest of the major online suppliers zing
    you is on accessories. They'll try to push filters and batteries and
    all the other accessory items, and they are never, never competitive
    with the accessories they try to add to a purchase.

    That's not unethical, though. The buyer has to exercise some judgment
    when dealing with any supplier. Sheep get sheared.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jun 23, 2008

  3. ransley

    ransley Guest

    On Jun 22, 7:00 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:01:02 -0500, Jack <> wrote:
    > >[posted and mailed]

    > >Your mistake was in buying from Wolf Camera.  Their prices are higher than
    > >from reputable merchants on-line. I have purchased several Canon digital
    > >cameras and none were wrapped in plasic. Nikon doesn't wrap their cameras
    > >in plastic either.  Camera stores often open boxes and show customers
    > >cameras, so shrink wrapping would not not let them do that.
    > >I bought my last two  Nikon DSLRs from B&H Photo on-line and have never had
    > >a problem even though the boxes were not shrink wrapped. Their prices were
    > >considerably lower than Wolf-Ritz Camera, as well. I may look at a camera
    > >at Wolf, but I buy from B&H.  No sales tax either on-line.
    > >Your camera is probably not used. Perhaps a prospective customer handled
    > >it, but I would not call that used.

    > And I've purchased two Nikon D40s (one for me and one for my daughter)
    > at Ritz Camera online.  I've also purchased a Nikon P2, a Canon
    > something (I forget what it was), a Sony video camera for me, a JVC
    > video camera for my son, and a couple of lenses...all from Ritz
    > online.
    >
    > The service was always top-notch, the prices equal-to or better than
    > other online dealers, the shipping was free, and no sales tax was
    > charged.
    >
    > The OP has a problem with a Wolf/Ritz camera store.  He should have
    > immediately taken the camera back to the store and worked with them.
    > He should not have attempted to clean the LCD.
    >
    > Your claim that B&H is "considerably lower" than Ritz is bullshit.
    > Both online operations are competitive in pricing.  Either Ritz or B&H
    > may have a temporary special on some item that makes them lower, but
    > you have to be in the market for that item to take advantage of it.
    > Be a little patient, and the other store will have a special.
    >
    > I would buy from B&H as I consider them a reputable company with a
    > good service record.  Their prices are competitive.  However, I've
    > dealt with Ritz because I've been pleased with them and I'm loyal to
    > vendors who perform.
    >
    > You have to deal with B&H carefully because they do sell "gray market"
    > items.  They are upfront about it, though, and tell you when it's gray
    > market...if you ask or if you read the listing carefully.
    >
    > Where Ritz, B&H, and all the rest of the major online suppliers zing
    > you is on accessories.  They'll try to push filters and batteries and
    > all the other accessory items, and they are never, never competitive
    > with the accessories they try to add to a purchase.
    >
    > That's not unethical, though.  The buyer has to exercise some judgment
    > when dealing with any supplier.  Sheep get sheared.
    >
    > --
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    799 was the price, I went back to the store 5 minutes after I bought
    it bit Wolf had no more Rebels, It still doesnt help me find total
    shots taken

    ransley, Jun 23, 2008
  4. ransley

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 05:16:37 -0700 (PDT), ransley
    <> wrote:

> [...]

    >> vendors who perform.
    >>
    >> You have to deal with B&H carefully because they do sell "gray market"
    >> items.  They are upfront about it, though, and tell you when it's gray
    >> market...if you ask or if you read the listing carefully.
    >>
    >> Where Ritz, B&H, and all the rest of the major online suppliers zing
    >> you is on accessories.  They'll try to push filters and batteries and
    >> all the other accessory items, and they are never, never competitive
    >> with the accessories they try to add to a purchase.
    >>
    >> That's not unethical, though.  The buyer has to exercise some judgment
    >> when dealing with any supplier.  Sheep get sheared.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    >799 was the price, I went back to the store 5 minutes after I bought
    >it bit Wolf had no more Rebels, It still doesnt help me find total

    I don't want to say that the problem was your fault, but you did
    compound the problem and place yourself in a very difficult position.
    The camera was - from what you say -defective. You should have
    returned it immediately for credit without attempting to clean it or
    fix it.

    You were too impatient to find a Rebel at some other store or wait for
    Wolf to get another one in. Wolf would have ordered a replacement.

    That camera is available at the same price at Ritz online or B&H
    online. B&H seems to have them on backorder, though. You could have
    had another camera within a week from an online source.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jun 23, 2008
  5. ransley

    ransley Guest

    On Jun 23, 7:42 am, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 05:16:37 -0700 (PDT), ransley
    >

    > <> wrote:

    > >> And I've purchased two Nikon D40s (one for me and one for my daughter)
    > >> at Ritz Camera online.  I've also purchased a Nikon P2, a Canon
    > >> something (I forget what it was), a Sony video camera for me, a JVC
    > >> video camera for my son, and a couple of lenses...all from Ritz
    > >> online.

    > >> The service was always top-notch, the prices equal-to or better than
    > >> other online dealers, the shipping was free, and no sales tax was
    > >> charged.

    > >> The OP has a problem with a Wolf/Ritz camera store.  He should have
    > >> immediately taken the camera back to the store and worked with them.
    > >> He should not have attempted to clean the LCD.

    > >> Your claim that B&H is "considerably lower" than Ritz is bullshit.
    > >> Both online operations are competitive in pricing.  Either Ritz or B&H
    > >> may have a temporary special on some item that makes them lower, but
    > >> you have to be in the market for that item to take advantage of it.
    > >> Be a little patient, and the other store will have a special.

    > >> I would buy from B&H as I consider them a reputable company with a
    > >> good service record.  Their prices are competitive.  However, I've
    > >> dealt with Ritz because I've been pleased with them and I'm loyal to
    > >> vendors who perform.

    > >> You have to deal with B&H carefully because they do sell "gray market"
    > >> items.  They are upfront about it, though, and tell you when it's gray
    > >> market...if you ask or if you read the listing carefully.

    > >> Where Ritz, B&H, and all the rest of the major online suppliers zing
    > >> you is on accessories.  They'll try to push filters and batteries and
    > >> all the other accessory items, and they are never, never competitive
    > >> with the accessories they try to add to a purchase.

    > >> That's not unethical, though.  The buyer has to exercise some judgment
    > >> when dealing with any supplier.  Sheep get sheared.

    > >> --
    > >> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    > >799 was the price, I went back to the store 5 minutes after I bought
    > >it bit Wolf had no more Rebels, It still doesnt help me find total
    > >shots taken

    > I don't want to say that the problem was your fault, but you did
    > compound the problem and place yourself in a very difficult position.
    > The camera was - from what you say -defective.  You should have
    > returned it immediately for credit without attempting to clean it or
    > fix it.
    >
    > You were too impatient to find a Rebel at some other store or wait for
    > Wolf to get another one in.  Wolf would have ordered a replacement.
    >
    > That camera is available at the same price at Ritz online or B&H
    > online.  B&H seems to have them on backorder, though.  You could have
    > had another camera within a week from an online source.
    >
    > --
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida- Hide quoted text -

    799 with the IS lens was the price, B&H was 850, I have 10 days to get
    a refund but it was their last one in stock, Buy online, now if I had
    any issues I would have real problems. Buying local has alot of
    benefits when there are any issues.

    ransley, Jun 23, 2008
  6. ransley

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 05:59:28 -0700 (PDT), ransley
    <> wrote:

    >On Jun 23, 7:42 am, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 05:16:37 -0700 (PDT), ransley
    >>

    >> <> wrote:

    >> >799 was the price, I went back to the store 5 minutes after I bought
    >> >it bit Wolf had no more Rebels, It still doesnt help me find total
    >> >shots taken

    >> I don't want to say that the problem was your fault, but you did
    >> compound the problem and place yourself in a very difficult position.
    >> The camera was - from what you say -defective.  You should have
    >> returned it immediately for credit without attempting to clean it or
    >> fix it.
    >>
    >> You were too impatient to find a Rebel at some other store or wait for
    >> Wolf to get another one in.  Wolf would have ordered a replacement.
    >>
    >> That camera is available at the same price at Ritz online or B&H
    >> online.  B&H seems to have them on backorder, though.  You could have
    >> had another camera within a week from an online source.
    >>

    >799 with the IS lens was the price, B&H was 850, I have 10 days to get
    >a refund but it was their last one in stock, Buy online, now if I had
    >any issues I would have real problems. Buying local has alot of
    >benefits when there are any issues.

    That depends. I've never had a problem dealing online with reputable
    vendors, and I consider both Ritz and B&H to be reputable. I have
    returned items. I recently returned a defective item to Abe's of
    Maine. They do require that you get a Return Authorization, but the
    do provide one.

    Buying locally can be good or bad. Too often you have to deal with a
    store manager that is too conscious of *his* bottom line and makes you
    jump through hoops. Just being able to be face-to-face isn't always
    an advantage.

    B&H currently has that exact camera at $799, but doesn't have them in
    stock. It says "June", but it wouldn't say anything if they were in
    stock this day in June. Ritz has the exact camera at $799.

    You do save sales tax when you buy online, but I don't know what the
    sales tax amount is because I don't know your area.

    I'm not encouraging you to deal online vs dealing in-store. I would
    suggest you open up your thinking, though.

    There are many online "stores" that I wouldn't touch with a 10'
    monopod. You just have to check things out.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jun 23, 2008
  7. ransley

    ransley Guest

    On Jun 23, 8:40 am, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 05:59:28 -0700 (PDT), ransley
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >On Jun 23, 7:42 am, tony cooper <> wrote:

    > >> I don't want to say that the problem was your fault, but you did
    > >> compound the problem and place yourself in a very difficult position.
    > >> The camera was - from what you say -defective.  You should have
    > >> returned it immediately for credit without attempting to clean it or
    > >> fix it.

    > >> You were too impatient to find a Rebel at some other store or wait for
    > >> Wolf to get another one in.  Wolf would have ordered a replacement.

    > >> That camera is available at the same price at Ritz online or B&H
    > >> online.  B&H seems to have them on backorder, though.  You could have
    > >> had another camera within a week from an online source.

    > >799 with the IS lens was the price, B&H was 850, I have 10 days to get
    > >a refund but it was their last one in stock, Buy online, now if I had
    > >any issues I would have real problems. Buying local has alot of
    > >benefits when there are any issues.

    > That depends.  I've never had a problem dealing online with reputable
    > vendors, and I consider both Ritz and B&H to be reputable.  I have
    > returned items.  I recently returned a defective item to Abe's of
    > Maine.  They do require that you get a Return Authorization, but the
    > do provide one.
    >
    > Buying locally can be good or bad.  Too often you have to deal with a
    > store manager that is too conscious of *his* bottom line and makes you
    > jump through hoops.  Just being able to be face-to-face isn't always
    > an advantage.
    >
    > B&H currently has that exact camera at $799, but doesn't have them in
    > stock.  It says "June", but it wouldn't say anything if they were in
    > stock this day in June.  Ritz has the exact camera at $799.
    >
    > You do save sales tax when you buy online, but I don't know what the
    > sales tax amount is because I don't know your area.
    >
    > I'm not encouraging you to deal online vs dealing in-store.  I would
    > suggest you open up your thinking, though.
    >
    > There are many online "stores" that I wouldn't touch with a 10'
    > monopod.  You just have to check things out.
    >
    > --
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida- Hide quoted text -

    I just looked at B&H its 850 with lens, Ritz is Wolf, same company.

    ransley, Jun 23, 2008
  8. ransley

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:01:54 -0700 (PDT), ransley
    <> wrote:

    >> Buying locally can be good or bad.  Too often you have to deal with a
    >> store manager that is too conscious of *his* bottom line and makes you
    >> jump through hoops.  Just being able to be face-to-face isn't always
    >> an advantage.
    >>
    >> B&H currently has that exact camera at $799, but doesn't have them in
    >> stock.  It says "June", but it wouldn't say anything if they were in
    >> stock this day in June.  Ritz has the exact camera at $799.
    >>
    >> You do save sales tax when you buy online, but I don't know what the
    >> sales tax amount is because I don't know your area.
    >>
    >> I'm not encouraging you to deal online vs dealing in-store.  I would
    >> suggest you open up your thinking, though.
    >>
    >> There are many online "stores" that I wouldn't touch with a 10'
    >> monopod.  You just have to check things out.
    >>

    >I just looked at B&H its 850 with lens,

    Damn. I don't know what the specifics are of your camera other than
    you posted that you have a
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542178-REG/Canon_2757B001_EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.html
    If there's something about your specific camera I don't know, then
    screw it. I was just trying to be helpful.

    >Ritz is Wolf, same company.

    Do you think I don't know this? I know enough to examine a camera
    before I leave the store. I know enough not to take home a defective
    camera and not to screw around cleaning the LCD or wait for a
    replacement part. I know enough to return something that isn't right
    the first day. I know enough to shop around and find other sources.
    I know enough to be a little patient when spending $800.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jun 23, 2008
  9. ransley

    Robert Coe Guest

    wrote:
    : 799 was the price, I went back to the store 5 minutes after I bought
    : it bit Wolf had no more Rebels, It still doesnt help me find total
    : shots taken

    Your camera's immediate predecessor, the Rebel XTi, doesn't track total shots,
    so it doesn't surprise me if yours doesn't either.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jun 28, 2008