Canon D30 - Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Richard Alexander, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Richard Alexander, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Richard Alexander

    Andrew Guest

    Richard Alexander <> wrote:
    : Does anyone have a D30 in this group ? I am just wondering what setting's
    : they consider best. I have entered my 3 parameters but am still finding the
    : sharpness too soft. I know it can be treated with USM but am wondering if
    : anyone has other ways to sharpen photo's that may be better.

    Canon's DSLR's are notorius for undersharpening, but most
    photographers seem to prefer that (as opposed to oversharpening, which
    you can't correct later). It's fairly easy to run unsharp mask
    later on on the computer, plus if you get prints you might find they
    don't look as soft as you feared.

    Sharpness might also be a function of your lenses. Typically, cheaper
    lenses are not as sharp as the more expensive "L" Canon lenses.

    Even so, also remember that the D30 (I own one) is known to have a
    poor auto-focus system. If the light isn't perfect, I find myself
    manual focusing or at least spot-checking the auto focus all the
    time. What normally happens in my case is that the camera "hunts"
    looking for an optimal focus point, then gives up and focuses to
    infinity, which usually isn't what I want.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
    Andrew, Jul 20, 2003

  3. Richard Alexander

    Si Guest

    "Richard Alexander" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have a D30 in this group ? I am just wondering what setting's
    > they consider best. I have entered my 3 parameters but am still finding

    the
    > sharpness too soft. I know it can be treated with USM but am wondering if
    > anyone has other ways to sharpen photo's that may be better.
    > Two photos taken with the D30 after editing in PS7

    I *always* have to sharpen with USM shots from my D30, although I haven't
    got any L series lenses.

    I would try to stick to PS for sharpening, leaving the camera settings at
    default. Better to be able to vary the amount than not be able to because
    the damn camera has done a poor job.

    There are greater issues with the D30 though, ever seen the USM interference
    (banding) pattern at high ISO?

    I'm a long term Canon user, but the reason I haven't moved on from the D30
    is all down to my disappointment with it - that and the now well known focus
    issues with the 10D.

    Not wanting to start any kind of debate, all I'll say is that my next DSLR
    will have a logo that begins with an N.

    Simon.
    Si, Jul 20, 2003
  4. "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > Richard Alexander <> wrote:
    > : Does anyone have a D30 in this group ? I am just wondering what

    setting's
    > : they consider best. I have entered my 3 parameters but am still finding

    the
    > : sharpness too soft. I know it can be treated with USM but am wondering

    if
    > : anyone has other ways to sharpen photo's that may be better.
    >
    > Canon's DSLR's are notorius for undersharpening, but most
    > photographers seem to prefer that (as opposed to oversharpening, which
    > you can't correct later). It's fairly easy to run unsharp mask
    > later on on the computer, plus if you get prints you might find they
    > don't look as soft as you feared.
    >
    > Sharpness might also be a function of your lenses. Typically, cheaper
    > lenses are not as sharp as the more expensive "L" Canon lenses.
    >
    > Even so, also remember that the D30 (I own one) is known to have a
    > poor auto-focus system. If the light isn't perfect, I find myself
    > manual focusing or at least spot-checking the auto focus all the
    > time. What normally happens in my case is that the camera "hunts"
    > looking for an optimal focus point, then gives up and focuses to
    > infinity, which usually isn't what I want.

    Thank's Andrew, Ive just found a good sharpening routine which does seem to
    work on all the photo's I have tried so far. I change the image to lab,
    select lightness channel run usm at 130-1.5-1 and convert back to rgb. Got
    the routine from luminous landscape. After owning a lot of consmer cameras
    such as the nikon 5700, olympus e10, sony 717 and the minolta 7i, I find the
    focusing on the canon D30 a godsend, I cant believe the difference. In
    short, I'm in heaven right now

    Rich
    Richard Alexander, Jul 20, 2003
  5. Richard Alexander

    Mark M Guest

    "Si" <> wrote in message
    > "Richard Alexander" <> wrote in

    message
    > > Does anyone have a D30 in this group ? I am just wondering what

    setting's
    > > they consider best. I have entered my 3 parameters but am still finding

    > the
    > > sharpness too soft. I know it can be treated with USM but am wondering

    if
    > > anyone has other ways to sharpen photo's that may be better.
    > > Two photos taken with the D30 after editing in PS7
    > >

    > I *always* have to sharpen with USM shots from my D30, although I haven't
    > got any L series lenses.
    >
    > I would try to stick to PS for sharpening, leaving the camera settings at
    > default. Better to be able to vary the amount than not be able to because
    > the damn camera has done a poor job.
    >
    > There are greater issues with the D30 though, ever seen the USM

    interference
    > (banding) pattern at high ISO?
    >
    > I'm a long term Canon user, but the reason I haven't moved on from the D30
    > is all down to my disappointment with it - that and the now well known

    focus
    > issues with the 10D.

    It's also "well known" that the focus issue was ONLY the earliest of 10Ds
    released, and is no longer an issue. I had one...returned it, and the
    replacement is perfect.
    Mark M, Jul 20, 2003
  6. Richard Alexander

    Mark M Guest

    > Does anyone have a D30 in this group ? I am just wondering what setting's
    > they consider best. I have entered my 3 parameters but am still finding

    the
    > sharpness too soft. I know it can be treated with USM but am wondering if
    > anyone has other ways to sharpen photo's that may be better.
    > Two photos taken with the D30 after editing in PS7
    >
    > http://www.photoforum.ru/rate/photo.php?photo_id=75938
    > http://www.photoforum.ru/rate/photo.php?photo_id=75836

    I assume you're using these examples to illustrate lack of sharpness?

    If so, then I'd simply mention out your focus in the rhino image centers on
    his shoulder, rather than his eye. USM won't make up for focus mistakes
    very well.

    On the lion... How small a crop is that?
    Was this shot in RAW, or jpeg?
    On my D30, RAW was essential when dealing with animal fur especially. The
    lack of artifacts allowed much more sharpening to be pleasantly applied.
    Mark M, Jul 20, 2003
  7. "Mark M" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard Alexander" <> wrote in

    message
    > > Does anyone have a D30 in this group ? I am just wondering what

    setting's
    > > they consider best. I have entered my 3 parameters but am still finding

    > the
    > > sharpness too soft. I know it can be treated with USM but am wondering

    if
    > > anyone has other ways to sharpen photo's that may be better.
    > > Two photos taken with the D30 after editing in PS7
    > >
    > > http://www.photoforum.ru/rate/photo.php?photo_id=75938
    > > http://www.photoforum.ru/rate/photo.php?photo_id=75836

    > I assume you're using these examples to illustrate lack of sharpness?
    >
    > If so, then I'd simply mention out your focus in the rhino image centers

    on
    > his shoulder, rather than his eye. USM won't make up for focus mistakes
    > very well.
    >
    > On the lion... How small a crop is that?
    > Was this shot in RAW, or jpeg?
    > On my D30, RAW was essential when dealing with animal fur especially. The
    > lack of artifacts allowed much more sharpening to be pleasantly applied.

    The lion was approx 50% crop which I suppose isnt recommended, as for the
    focus issue, the rhino was moving towards me so I wasnt going to ask him to
    pose for me. Plus it was the first time Ive used the camera and have since
    realised that having one focus point selected ( middle one) is better than
    asking the camera decide which to use.
    Richard Alexander, Jul 20, 2003
  8. Richard Alexander

    Mark M Guest

    > snip>
    >
    > > I understand the difficulties. I have had to compromise shots like that
    > > with dangerous critters too, and wasn't trying to put you down. I just
    > > noted it since you seemed to be trying to sharpen an image that wasn't
    > > really in focus to begin with. This would not be a soft lens or sensor
    > > issue.
    > >
    > > The D30's WORST aspect, in my opinion, was it's horrible autofocus

    system.
    > > The 10D is AMAZINGLY improved. It actually does slightly **better** in

    > low
    > > light than my EOS3 film body.
    > >

    > I didnt take it that you was having a go, please dont think I was being
    > offensive in my reply, it certainly wasnt supposed to come across like

    that.
    > I do like the D30 compared to the other cams I've owned. I also dont mind
    > the softness, it can be sharpened afterwards. Looking at my cousins

    photo's
    > taken with sigma lenses and his 10D, I actually prefer a good percentage

    of
    > photo's from the D30 with sharpening ( on screen anyway, I realise that it
    > has no chance against the 10D on paper but I hardly ever print).
    > In a way I only wish I could afford the more expensive gear but I think

    that
    > this hobby has to take it's place below family etc. One day though, I will
    > get a state of the art camera. On the other hand, didnt someone say " You
    > can give a good photographer a pinhole camera and give an ameuture
    > photographer a state of the art camera but who do you think will take the
    > better shots ?"

    Even though the AF system on the D30 wasn't to my liking, I am still a big
    fan of the camera. I shot well over 20,000 frames with mine before it was
    destroyed in Arches National Park while climbing boulders with it (oops).
    As to "state of the art", the D30 is right up there. It's image quality is
    absoutely superb, even though it's a little dated in "digital years."

    You commented about your preference for the D30's on-screen look, and I
    think I can understand that--especially at 100% (actual pixel views). With
    the 10D's added resolution, when you view it at the pixel level, you're
    going to reveal the lack of sharpness in a shot/lens more easily. Once you
    shrink-to-fit the screen, they look very similar. With this in mind, the
    10D definitely takes advantage (benefits from) the use of Canon's high end
    lenses. I've been quite amazed at the clear difference after going from
    Canon's 20-35 non-L to the 16-35 L 2.8, and the 70-200 IS L 2.8.
    Mark M, Jul 21, 2003