    I just purchased the Canon D10 and I'm looking for advice on a decent
    macro without spending $600 for a100mm canon lense.Any ideas or recs?
    Thanks
    ed, Jul 16, 2004

  2. ed

    Skip M Guest

    "ed" <yoeddie7 @hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I just purchased the Canon D10 and I'm looking for advice on a decent
    > macro without spending $600 for a100mm canon lense.Any ideas or recs?
    > Thanks

    Canon 50mm f2.5 Macro, Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro,Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma
    50mm f2.8 and 105mm 2.8 Macro all have excellent reputations, and come in
    under $500. These are all "true" macro, not just close focusing lenses,
    giving you magnification ratios of between 2:1 and 1:1 (life-size). In fact
    the two 50mm options are under $300, both give 2:1 (half life-size) images.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Jul 16, 2004

  3. ed

    YoYo Guest

    You spend $1600 or whatever on the Canon 10D but want to be cheap when it
    comes to lenses??

    Sorry not Logical

    YoYo, Jul 16, 2004
  4. ed

    Steve Hix Guest

    In article <>,
    ed <yoeddie7 @hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I just purchased the Canon D10 and I'm looking for advice on a decent
    > macro without spending $600 for a100mm canon lense.Any ideas or recs?
    > Thanks

    Get the lens from a reputable dealer like B&H for $470, instead.

    It really is an excellent lens.
    Steve Hix, Jul 16, 2004
  5. ed

    grenner Guest

    Tamron 90mm Macro excellent 1:1 lens.

    Greg

    grenner, Jul 16, 2004
  6. "YoYo" < your.business.com> wrote in message
    > You spend $1600 or whatever on the Canon 10D but want to be cheap

    when it
    > comes to lenses??
    >
    > Sorry not Logical

    Perhaps after spending $ 1600.00 there is not much left for anything
    else.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jul 16, 2004
  7. ed

    Jimmy Smith Guest

    > You spend $1600 or whatever on the Canon 10D but want to be cheap when it
    > comes to lenses??
    >
    > Sorry not Logical

    What are you? Beat up man?

    Jimmy Smith, Jul 16, 2004
  8. ed

    Mark M Guest

    > You spend $1600 or whatever on the Canon 10D but want to be cheap when it
    > comes to lenses??
    >
    > Sorry not Logical

    Sure it is!
    He is slower to spend another big chunk...because he JUST SPENT a huge
    chunk!

    It always amazes me how people assume that when a person spends a large
    amount...that this somehow makes it MORE LIKELY that they can continue to do
    so.

    The exact opposite would be the "logical" scenario.

    Mark M, Jul 16, 2004
  9. ed

    Charlie Self Guest

    Mark M writes:

    >"YoYo" < your.business.com> wrote in message
    >> You spend $1600 or whatever on the Canon 10D but want to be cheap when it
    >> comes to lenses??
    >>
    >> Sorry not Logical

    >Sure it is!
    >He is slower to spend another big chunk...because he JUST SPENT a huge
    >chunk!
    >
    >It always amazes me how people assume that when a person spends a large
    >amount...that this somehow makes it MORE LIKELY that they can continue to do
    >so.
    >
    >The exact opposite would be the "logical" scenario.

    Sure is for me. Just got the Pentax *istD. I want some more lenses to
    supplement the 16-45, but they are going to wait for a bit. The coffers are
    low.

    Charlie Self
    "When you appeal to force, there's one thing you must never do - lose." Dwight
    D. Eisenhower
    Charlie Self, Jul 16, 2004
  10. ed

    Jimmy Smith Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message

    > "YoYo" < your.business.com> wrote in message
    > > You spend $1600 or whatever on the Canon 10D but want to be cheap when

    it
    > > comes to lenses??
    > >
    > > Sorry not Logical

    > Sure it is!
    > He is slower to spend another big chunk...because he JUST SPENT a huge
    > chunk!
    >
    > It always amazes me how people assume that when a person spends a large
    > amount...that this somehow makes it MORE LIKELY that they can continue to

    do
    > so.
    >
    > The exact opposite would be the "logical" scenario.

    This is very true and many of us need to hide these large purchases from our
    wives ;-)

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, Jul 17, 2004
  11. ed

    C.G. Guest

    The Sigma goes 1:1. The Canon needs an adapter to get to life size.

    --
    Colm

    C.G., Jul 17, 2004
  12. ed

    ed Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:58:05 -0500, "grenner" <>
    wrote:

    >Tamron 90mm Macro excellent 1:1 lens.
    >
    >Greg
    >"ed" <yoeddie7 @hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I just purchased the Canon D10 and I'm looking for advice on a decent
    >> macro without spending $600 for a100mm canon lense.Any ideas or recs?
    >> Thanks

    Thanks Grenner. I had bought a Tamron lense about six years ago for my
    A2 for my kids sports photos. Razor sharp, you can see sweat flying in
    some of the real action shots. Very unforgiving on a teenagers
    complexion though. I used my Canon lenses for a smoother shot, and
    they came out very well.
    I'm surprised I didn't get flamed about the D10 typo.
    ed, Jul 17, 2004
  13. ed

    Charles Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:22:58 -0700, ed <yoeddie7 @hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I just purchased the Canon D10 and I'm looking for advice on a decent
    >macro without spending $600 for a100mm canon lense.Any ideas or recs?
    >Thanks

    Less than $600

    Canon
    http://www.canogacamera.com/e/env/0...D-/info_pages/cam_info.html&item=invnew:46745

    sigma
    http://www.canogacamera.com/e/env/0...D-/info_pages/cam_info.html&item=invnew:55334

    Tamron
    http://www.canogacamera.com/e/env/0...D-/info_pages/cam_info.html&item=invnew:58978

    I don't know how these folks are for mail order, I go into the B&M
    shop and get what I want with no pressure/problems.

    And no, spell checker, I meant Tamron, not tampon. There is a
    difference. I think.

    --

    - Charles
    -
    Charles, Jul 17, 2004
  14. ed

    ed Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:32:15 -0400, "YoYo" <
    your.business.com> wrote:

    >You spend $1600 or whatever on the Canon 10D but want to be cheap when it
    >comes to lenses??
    >
    >Sorry not Logical

    Is THAT how much it was??? DANG, I should have looked at the credit
    receipt before I signed it. Holy Moly, I'm in big trouble this time.
    Thank you Yoko!
    ed, Jul 17, 2004
  15. ed

    Skip M Guest

    You are right, I knew about the Canon, forgot about the Sigma, I was on the
    track that only the 100mm+ lenses got 1:1.

    Skip M, Jul 17, 2004
  16. ed

    Skip M Guest

    Under $600 isn't cheap, a plethora of stellar true macro lenses are
    available under that price, including Canon's.
    Quite logical...

    Skip M, Jul 17, 2004
  17. ed

    MarkH Guest

    > On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:58:05 -0500, "grenner" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Tamron 90mm Macro excellent 1:1 lens.
    >>
    >>Greg
    >>"ed" <yoeddie7 @hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> I just purchased the Canon D10 and I'm looking for advice on a decent
    >>> macro without spending $600 for a100mm canon lense.Any ideas or recs?
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    > Thanks Grenner. I had bought a Tamron lense about six years ago for my
    > A2 for my kids sports photos. Razor sharp, you can see sweat flying in
    > some of the real action shots. Very unforgiving on a teenagers
    > complexion though. I used my Canon lenses for a smoother shot, and
    > they came out very well.
    > I'm surprised I didn't get flamed about the D10 typo.

    BTW
    It’s 10D, fool :)

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Jul 17, 2004
  18. ed <yoeddie7 @hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I just purchased the Canon D10 and I'm looking for advice on a decent
    > macro without spending $600 for a100mm canon lense.Any ideas or recs?
    > Thanks

    Why not choose the highest rated macro lens in the history of lens testing?

    http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#F50
    George Preddy, Jul 18, 2004
  19. In article <>, George
    Preddy <> wrote:

    > Why not choose the highest rated macro lens in the history of lens testing?

    And that would be Canon...
    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 18, 2004
  20. ed

    Mark B. Guest

    "C.G." <> wrote in message
    > The Sigma goes 1:1. The Canon needs an adapter to get to life size.

    The Canon 100mm doesn't. Don't know about the 50, but I have the 100.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jul 18, 2004