    A final question: Any thoughts on the 75-400 IS lens?

    Rick

    PS: Thanks.

    Rick, Oct 17, 2003

  2. Rick

    Robertwgross Guest

    Rick wrote:
    >I am in the market for a Canon D-10. ...

    D-10 is a Nikon designation.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Oct 17, 2003

  3. Rick

    Vin Guest

    Robertwgross <> wrote:
    > Rick wrote:
    >>I am in the market for a Canon D-10. ...

    > D-10 is a Nikon designation.

    What about D30 and D60?

    --
    Vin
    Melbourne, Australia

    Vin, Oct 17, 2003
  4. Rick

    Vin Guest

    Vin <> wrote:

    >> D-10 is a Nikon designation.

    > What about D30 and D60?

    Im sorry, this was in response to the above reply and not
    to the OP incase I have pointed the OP'er into the wrong
    direction.

    Vin, Oct 17, 2003
  5. Rick

    Robertwgross Guest

    Vin wrote:
    >What about D30 and D60?

    Those are Canon models.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Oct 17, 2003
  6. Rick

    Doug Scobie Guest

    I suspect you mean the '10D'.
    Lots an lots of good glass. The lens I keep on my camera is the 17-40L, an
    excellent lens!

    Doug

    Doug Scobie, Oct 17, 2003
  7. Rick

    MarkH Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in

    > I am in the market for a Canon D-10. I haven't had a "good" camera for
    > many years and I am looking to get back into it as a serious amateur.
    > What I need though is some recommendations on what should the first
    > lenses that I buy for this camera? While my money doesn't grow on
    > trees, I am willing to spend the money on something that is deemed
    > necessary and important. Any suggestions are welcomed.

    Necessary? Nothing is necessary!

    But you should get a 28-135 IS lens. This is an excellent lens to keep on
    your camera most of the time. On the 10D it will give an angle of view
    equivalent to a 45-216mm which is a pretty useful range. The IS will let
    you hand hold the camera in quarter the light that you could without IS.

    You may find that the equivalent of 45mm is not very wide for some
    situations, you could do worse than adding a 17-40L for the times you need
    wide angle.

    It is also worth considering a 50mm f1.8 which would not add much cost, but
    would give a useful portrait lens that is capable of producing a very
    limited DoF and will allow reasonable shutter speed in low light.

    Once you have those 3 lenses then you are set for most situations. You can
    decide for yourself if you need to add a monster zoom later, or maybe add
    primes for the focal lengths that you use frequently. You could also think
    about whether a macro lens would be worth getting. But the 3 I have
    suggested will be enough to get you out and taking photos.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Oct 17, 2003
  8. Rick

    Hunter Guest

    Agreed, though I only have the 28-135mm IS on my 10D at present. Fine for
    most situations but I'm saving for a wider one. Suggest you spend £25 on a
    UV filter and keep it permanently attached - a scratched lens is an
    expensive waste.

    Hunter, Oct 17, 2003
  9. Rick

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <bmombb$s72$>,
    says...
    > Agreed, though I only have the 28-135mm IS on my 10D at present. Fine for
    > most situations but I'm saving for a wider one. Suggest you spend £25 on a
    > UV filter and keep it permanently attached - a scratched lens is an
    > expensive waste.

    You are much better off spending that $25 on the lens hood for the 28-
    135. It will protect the front element as well as preventing flare. The
    filter will increase flare and adds a cheap piece of glass in front of
    an expensive one.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Oct 17, 2003
  10. Rick

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Rick"

    >Any thoughts on the 75-400 IS lens?

    Did you mean the 75-300 IS lens or the 100-400 IS lens?

    Bill Hilton, Oct 17, 2003
  11. Rick

    George Guest

    One thought when planning your lens purchases: While a 75-400 might sound
    tempting, do you really want to carry around a lens the size and weight of a
    400 when you need a 75? I'd make sure I didn't have so much zoom range (or
    at least wasn't dependent on a particular focal length being only available
    to me in a large, heavy lens) that I had to carry something that would get
    burdensome. For instance, lens manufacturers and photo magazines would lead
    you to believe that every photographer's dream lens would be something like
    a 14-1200 zoom, but if I wanted to take photos of building interiors I sure
    wouldn't want to deal with the size and weight of a 1200mm lens. I think it
    makes more sense to think about the various photo tasks you wish to
    undertake (interiors, portraits, sports, wildlife) and choose a few lenses
    that would give you flexibility in accomplishing each of those tasks.

    George, Oct 17, 2003
  12. Rick

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Rick wrote:

    > I am in the market for a Canon D-10. I haven't had a "good" camera for many
    > years and I am looking to get back into it as a serious amateur. What I need
    > though is some recommendations on what should the first lenses that I buy
    > for this camera? While my money doesn't grow on trees, I am willing to spend
    > the money on something that is deemed necessary and important. Any
    > suggestions are welcomed.

    Not an easy question.. There are two things to consider.

    1.When it comes to picture quality, the lens is *everything*.
    2. What kind of shooting will you do ?

    You can scrimp and pick up Phoenix or Samyang lenses, but you wanted a "good"
    camera.. Don't hamper it with "not so good" lenses.

    Do you shoot landscapes and architecture ? Or wildlife ? Perhaps portraits ?
    How about macros ?

    Or do you just want a compromise lens.. Good for walking about ?

    A good set of primes is the best way to go.. But *very* expensive.

    Generally the greater the zoom ratio, the worse the image quality. This isn't
    a hard and fast rule, but usually holds true.

    My kit goes from 15mm to 400mm.. I scrimped on the wide end with a Sigma
    15-50. I just don't have that much need for wide angle shooting. On the
    longer end, I picked up a Canon 100-400L IS lens. I like photographing
    wildlife and this lens does the trick. (Although I'm still looking at a 300mm
    prime).

    My kit consists of 5 lenses and the total cost is more than double the cost of
    my 10D. To me, glass is everything (despite the fact I'm now a Canon slave :)

    Jim Townsend, Oct 17, 2003
  13. Rick

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Vin wrote:

    > Robertwgross <> wrote:
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>>I am in the market for a Canon D-10. ...

    >> D-10 is a Nikon designation.

    > What about D30 and D60?

    D30 and D60 is Canon.. They never made a D-10.. As another poster pointed out,
    Nikon does.

    Recent Canon DSLR line:

    D30
    D60

    1D
    1Ds
    10D

    300D

    Jim Townsend, Oct 17, 2003
  14. Rick

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>, ess says...
    > D30 and D60 is Canon.. They never made a D-10.. As another poster pointed out,
    > Nikon does.

    No, Nikon doesn't. They make a D1 and a D100, no D10. So stop with the
    holier-than-thou attitude because you are wrong too. The guy made a
    common mistake. Drop it.

    --
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Oct 18, 2003
  15. Rick

    Sam Smith Guest

    Todd,

    Perhaps the guy who posted the "D30 and D60 is Canon.. They never made a
    D-10.. As another poster pointed out, Nikon does." line made a mistake too.

    So stop with the holier-than-thou attitude. The guy made a mistake. Drop it.

    Sam Smith, Oct 18, 2003