Canon Customer Service

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Confused, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. Confused

    Confused Guest

    I take back my previous comments, choking on my own words :) regarding
    Canon Customer Service in Irvine, CA.

    I went to the Canon Customer Service Center in Irvine, CA this morning
    to have the image sensor cleaned in a 20D Digital SLR camera. This is
    normally a 2-5 minute over- the-counter while-you-wait service. Today,
    it took that long for Canon to explain why it couldn't be done because
    of a 2-3 day waiting list. What?

    The image sensor on the 20D is a problem. My observations indicate
    that dirt is migrating from the textured plastic body onto the image
    sensor when changing lenses. (The plastic is like a fine emery board
    and it attracts dirt.) That observation seems to be correct. Canon in
    Irvine has sent technicians to Florida to clean sensors for the
    "professionals" at a golf tournament.

    Meanwhile, back in Southern California, there is a customer service
    waiting list for consumers, professional photographers and the
    entertainment industry at the start of spring, just in time for the
    Long Beach Grand Prix. I wonder how many other people will be risking
    damage to their cameras by using something other than a hand blower to
    clean out persistent dust...

    Jeff

    Confused, Apr 5, 2005

  2. David J. Littleboy, Apr 5, 2005

  3. Confused

    Scott W Guest

    In the three months that I have had the 20D I have only had to clean
    the sensor three times, two times just a bit of air from a air bulb was
    enough the other time I needed to use just a bit of alcohol on a cotton
    swab. In all these cases you had to look closely to see the problem on
    the photo and would not have been a large problem in the end photos.

    So far dust on the sensor it proving not to be much of a problem at
    all, which is a good thing because there is no chance of having anybody
    around here cleaning it for me.

    Scott

    Scott W, Apr 5, 2005
  4. Confused

    Confused Guest

    "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:

    > "Confused" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > I went to the Canon Customer Service Center in Irvine, CA this morning
    > > to have the image sensor cleaned in a 20D Digital SLR camera.

    > Have you seen this???
    >
    > http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.html

    I haven't read that one...informative, and he's a good writer.
    Thanks!

    A statically charged brush makes a lot of sense. However, right now I
    have what he describes as a "major headache".

    Jeff

    Confused, Apr 5, 2005
  5. Confused

    Confused Guest

    In message <>
    "Scott W" <> wrote:

    > In the three months that I have had the 20D I have only had to clean
    > the sensor three times, two times just a bit of air from a air bulb was
    > enough the other time I needed to use just a bit of alcohol on a cotton
    > swab. In all these cases you had to look closely to see the problem on
    > the photo and would not have been a large problem in the end photos.
    >
    > So far dust on the sensor it proving not to be much of a problem at
    > all, which is a good thing because there is no chance of having anybody
    > around here cleaning it for me.

    The air bulb usually does the trick for me, too. I learned with my
    300D that going in with swabs using these old hands isn't a good idea.
    The old saying "I'm not getting older, I'm getting better!" does not
    apply to every aspect of the human experience. ;^)

    Jeff

    Confused, Apr 5, 2005
  6. Confused

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "Scott W" <> wrote in message
    > In the three months that I have had the 20D I have only had to clean
    > the sensor three times, two times just a bit of air from a air bulb was
    > enough the other time I needed to use just a bit of alcohol on a cotton
    > swab. In all these cases you had to look closely to see the problem on
    > the photo and would not have been a large problem in the end photos.
    >
    > So far dust on the sensor it proving not to be much of a problem at
    > all, which is a good thing because there is no chance of having anybody
    > around here cleaning it for me.
    >
    > Scott

    3 times in 3 months is not a lot???

    Dirty Harry, Apr 5, 2005
  7. Confused

    Scott W Guest

    Dirty Harry wrote:
    > 3 times in 3 months is not a lot???

    Does that seem like a lot? The total time in cleaning so far is maybe
    two minutes, this does not seem like much to me.

    Scott

    Scott W, Apr 5, 2005
  8. Confused

    Confused Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 06:00:21 GMT

    Confused, Apr 5, 2005
  9. On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 03:02:40 GMT, Confused
    <> wrote:

    >"David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Confused" <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I went to the Canon Customer Service Center in Irvine, CA this morning
    >> > to have the image sensor cleaned in a 20D Digital SLR camera.

    >> Have you seen this???
    >>
    >> http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.html

    >I haven't read that one...informative, and he's a good writer.
    >Thanks!
    >
    >A statically charged brush makes a lot of sense. However, right now I
    >have what he describes as a "major headache".
    >
    >Jeff

    I used the Sensor Brush but found that this only works if the dust is
    dry. I was left with a smudge on the sensor so I had to buy the Pecpad
    and fluid to complete the job. Since then a quick clean with the
    brush is all that is needed.
    eric phillips

    eric phillips, Apr 5, 2005
  10. Confused

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Confused wrote:
    > I take back my previous comments, choking on my own words :) regarding
    > Canon Customer Service in Irvine, CA.
    >
    > I went to the Canon Customer Service Center in Irvine, CA this morning
    > to have the image sensor cleaned in a 20D Digital SLR camera. This is
    > normally a 2-5 minute over- the-counter while-you-wait service. Today,
    > it took that long for Canon to explain why it couldn't be done because
    > of a 2-3 day waiting list. What?
    >
    > The image sensor on the 20D is a problem. My observations indicate
    > that dirt is migrating from the textured plastic body onto the image
    > sensor when changing lenses. (The plastic is like a fine emery board
    > and it attracts dirt.) That observation seems to be correct. Canon in
    > Irvine has sent technicians to Florida to clean sensors for the
    > "professionals" at a golf tournament.
    >
    > Meanwhile, back in Southern California, there is a customer service
    > waiting list for consumers, professional photographers and the
    > entertainment industry at the start of spring, just in time for the
    > Long Beach Grand Prix. I wonder how many other people will be risking
    > damage to their cameras by using something other than a hand blower to
    > clean out persistent dust...
    >
    > Jeff

    Sounds like a bit more testing, and some reengineering needs to be done
    on that model.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 5, 2005
  11. Confused

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Confused wrote:
    > In message <>
    > "Scott W" <> wrote:
    >

    >>In the three months that I have had the 20D I have only had to clean
    >>the sensor three times, two times just a bit of air from a air bulb was
    >>enough the other time I needed to use just a bit of alcohol on a cotton
    >>swab. In all these cases you had to look closely to see the problem on
    >>the photo and would not have been a large problem in the end photos.
    >>
    >>So far dust on the sensor it proving not to be much of a problem at
    >>all, which is a good thing because there is no chance of having anybody
    >>around here cleaning it for me.

    > The air bulb usually does the trick for me, too. I learned with my
    > 300D that going in with swabs using these old hands isn't a good idea.
    > The old saying "I'm not getting older, I'm getting better!" does not
    > apply to every aspect of the human experience. ;^)
    >
    > Jeff

    Particularly NOT in the steadiness department. I fondly remember the
    days when a 3-4 second hand-held exposure was no problem. Now the only
    way to get good results is to put the camera on a rock, or other stable
    support and use the 'self-timer'.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 5, 2005
  12. Confused

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > Dirty Harry wrote:
    >
    >>3 times in 3 months is not a lot???

    > Does that seem like a lot? The total time in cleaning so far is maybe
    > two minutes, this does not seem like much to me.
    >
    > Scott

    I guess it depends on how many pictures, and lens changes intervened.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 5, 2005
  13. Confused

    "Dirty Harry" <> wrote:

    > "Scott W" <> wrote in message
    > > In the three months that I have had the 20D I have only had to clean
    > > the sensor three times, two times just a bit of air from a air bulb was
    > > enough the other time I needed to use just a bit of alcohol on a cotton
    > > swab. In all these cases you had to look closely to see the problem on
    > > the photo and would not have been a large problem in the end photos.
    > >
    > > So far dust on the sensor it proving not to be much of a problem at
    > > all, which is a good thing because there is no chance of having anybody
    > > around here cleaning it for me.
    > >
    > > Scott

    > 3 times in 3 months is not a lot???

    More or less often depending on shooting frequency, locations, weather
    & wind, light, subjects, etc. This is the second time I've needed a
    tech to clean the sensor glass in a year...old hands and sensitive
    probes don't mix well with sensor dirt. ;)

    Jeff

    Confused, Apr 5, 2005
  14. Confused

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "Scott W" <> wrote in message

    > Dirty Harry wrote:
    > > 3 times in 3 months is not a lot???

    > Does that seem like a lot? The total time in cleaning so far is maybe
    > two minutes, this does not seem like much to me.
    >
    > Scott

    Not a lot of work, but increased odds of wrecking the sensor was my concern.

    Dirty Harry, Apr 5, 2005
  15. Confused

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Scott W <> wrote:

    >Dirty Harry wrote:
    >> 3 times in 3 months is not a lot???

    >Does that seem like a lot?

    It does to me. I have one of the very early 10D bodies, and I've cleaned it
    once, ever.

    Chris Brown, Apr 5, 2005
  16. Confused

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Scott W <> wrote:
    > >
    > >Dirty Harry wrote:
    > >> 3 times in 3 months is not a lot???

    > >Does that seem like a lot?

    > It does to me. I have one of the very early 10D bodies, and I've cleaned

    it
    > once, ever.

    I have 7500+ shots with my rebel and its still clean!

    Dirty Harry, Apr 5, 2005
  17. Confused

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Dirty Harry wrote:

    > "Scott W" <> wrote in message
    >> In the three months that I have had the 20D I have only had to clean
    >> the sensor three times, two times just a bit of air from a air bulb was
    >> enough the other time I needed to use just a bit of alcohol on a cotton
    >> swab. In all these cases you had to look closely to see the problem on
    >> the photo and would not have been a large problem in the end photos.
    >>
    >> So far dust on the sensor it proving not to be much of a problem at
    >> all, which is a good thing because there is no chance of having anybody
    >> around here cleaning it for me.
    >>
    >> Scott

    > 3 times in 3 months is not a lot???

    I've only cleaned my 10D three times in 1 1/2 years :)

    Jim Townsend, Apr 5, 2005
  18. Confused

    Keith Guest

    Dirty Harry <> wrote:

    > "Scott W" <> wrote in message
    > > In the three months that I have had the 20D I have only had to clean
    > > the sensor three times, two times just a bit of air from a air bulb was
    > > enough the other time I needed to use just a bit of alcohol on a cotton
    > > swab. In all these cases you had to look closely to see the problem on
    > > the photo and would not have been a large problem in the end photos.
    > >
    > > So far dust on the sensor it proving not to be much of a problem at
    > > all, which is a good thing because there is no chance of having anybody
    > > around here cleaning it for me.
    > >
    > > Scott

    > 3 times in 3 months is not a lot???

    Mmm - intersting - on my E-1 I've not had to clean the sensor once - the
    camera does it itself every time I switch it on, does slow the startup
    time a little though - but bearable!

    Keith, Apr 6, 2005
  19. Confused

    Confused Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:44:56 GMT
    In message <s8A4e.906785$8l.500426@pd7tw1no>
    "Dirty Harry" wrote:

    > I have 7500+ shots with my rebel and its still clean!

    One lens, eh? <grin>

    I had my 300D's sensor cleaned by Canon around 18,000 cycles after
    shooting a film crew that was making a Lexus commercial in downtown
    Los Angeles during rush hour. They had a water tender that flooded
    the street in between each pass of the Lexus and the camera. (The
    camera was on the end of a 30 foot articulating crane mounted on a
    matt black Mercedes SUV dolly.)

    Wind, smog, dirt, dust, water...yeah, it was worth it. ;)

    Jeff

    Confused, Apr 6, 2005
  20. Confused

    Confused Guest

    eric phillips <> wrote:

    > >> http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.html

    > I used the Sensor Brush but found that this only works if the
    > dust is dry.

    I found a french nylon brush with a wood handle at a cosmetics store.
    After cleaning it with a can of air it removed 2/3 of the dust on the
    sensor, leaving only the persistent stuff.

    > I was left with a smudge on the sensor so I had
    > to buy the Pecpad and fluid to complete the job.

    I picked up a box of swabs similar to the Pecpac (by the same company
    and uses the same cleaning methanol). They worked great, and a final
    'cosmetic' brushing did the trick. Good as new!

    > Since then a quick clean with the brush is all that is needed.

    THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE TIPS AND ADVICE!

    Jeff

    Confused, Apr 6, 2005