Canon considering stopping development of film cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PossumTrot, May 25, 2006.

  1. PossumTrot

    PossumTrot Guest

    PossumTrot, May 25, 2006

  2. PossumTrot

    Lionel Guest

    On Thu, 25 May 2006 07:34:54 -0700, "PossumTrot"
    <> opined:

    >http://tinyurl.com/h4ucn

    Then why does your link point to the following article about
    MySpace.com instead of anything to do with Canon?
    --------
    AP News AP NewsBack to News
    2 New York Teenagers Charged With Threatening to Attack MySpace.com
    Unless Paid $150,000
    5/25/06 4:02AM GMT

    Two New York teenagers were in police custody Wednesday facing illegal
    computer access and attempted extortion charges after they allegedly
    threatened to shake down the popular Web site MySpace.com unless its
    operators paid them $150,000, prosecutors said.

    Shaun Harrison, 18, and Saverio Mondelli, 19, of Suffolk County, N.Y.
    allegedly hacked into the social networking site and stole personal
    information from MySpace users.

    After MySpace booted them from the site, the pair threatened to
    distribute a foolproof method for stealing information unless MySpace
    paid them $150,000, said Sandi Gibbons, a spokeswoman for the Los
    Angeles County district attorney's office.

    Mondelli and Harrison were arrested Friday when they traveled to Los
    Angeles to allegedly collect the payoff. Instead, they were taken into
    custody by undercover officers from the multi-agency electronic crimes
    task force who posed as MySpace employees.

    Each was charged with two felony counts of illegal computer access and
    one count of sending a threatening letter for extortion and attempted
    extortion. They face more than four years in prison if convicted of
    all charges, prosecutors said.

    Mondelli and Harrison entered not guilty pleas at their arraignment
    Tuesday. A Los Angeles Superior Court judge set bail at $35,000 and
    set a preliminary hearing for June 5.

    MySpace.com, owned by News Corp., allows users to post photos, blogs
    and journals and create networks of friends.
    -------
    Lionel, May 25, 2006

  3. PossumTrot

    Lobby Dosser Guest

    Lionel <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 May 2006 07:34:54 -0700, "PossumTrot"
    > <> opined:
    >
    >>http://tinyurl.com/h4ucn

    > Then why does your link point to the following article about
    > MySpace.com instead of anything to do with Canon?

    News stories get moved around all the time, but the pages remain
    constant. Google News 'canon film cameras'.

    Canon to halt development of film cameras
    Thu May 25, 2006 12:58 PM BST

    TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Canon Inc. said on Thursday that it would halt
    development of new film cameras to focus resources on digital models, the
    latest sign of the rapidly fading role of film in photography.

    A spokesman at Canon, the world's largest maker of digital cameras, said
    it made the decision to freeze development of both compact and single
    lens reflex (SLR) film models because the markets for both are shrinking.

    Canon said it would continue to produce and sell existing models and make
    a final judgement on the business in the future while monitoring market
    demand.
    Lobby Dosser, May 25, 2006
  4. PossumTrot

    Paul79UF Guest

    Companies should focus less and less on film cameras since it's a dying
    technology.

    I'm sure the film camera industry will be around for a long time and
    enthusiasts will indefinitely be able to get film/cameras/parts, but I
    want new better digital cameras.

    I want better, smaller sensors and tiny 6mp cell phone cameras....get
    all those people working in the film camera divisions working on new
    stuff for me.

    :)
    Paul79UF, May 25, 2006
  5. ? "Paul79UF" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > Companies should focus less and less on film cameras since it's a dying
    > technology.
    >
    > I'm sure the film camera industry will be around for a long time and
    > enthusiasts will indefinitely be able to get film/cameras/parts, but I
    > want new better digital cameras.
    >
    > I want better, smaller sensors and tiny 6mp cell phone cameras....get
    > all those people working in the film camera divisions working on new
    > stuff for me.
    >
    > :)

    I think it's already being done that way-most major manufacturers switching
    models every year, and of course everything is getting better and
    cheaper.Who would bother with films and processing when you can delete your
    bad shots and keep the best ones?And see them on your computer's monitor the
    very same night, instead of waiting a fortnight to use the roll?And going to
    the lab and having them printed for 30 cents each?And sending them with
    email?And copying them on CD, without needing sending your precious
    negatives to relatives?And easily printing them with a cheap and easy to use
    photo printer, without the need to setup a darkroom?

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    542nd mechanized infantry batallion
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, May 25, 2006
  6. PossumTrot

    Bucky Guest

    Lobby Dosser wrote:
    > News stories get moved around all the time, but the pages remain
    > constant.

    No they don't. Almost all news websites have permanent URLs for each
    article. The OP simply linked to the wrong article.
    Bucky, May 25, 2006
  7. PossumTrot

    y_p_w Guest

    Bucky wrote:
    > Lobby Dosser wrote:
    > > News stories get moved around all the time, but the pages remain
    > > constant.

    > No they don't. Almost all news websites have permanent URLs for each
    > article. The OP simply linked to the wrong article.

    Here's an article from the Forbes website:

    <http://www.forbes.com/2006/05/25/canon-camera-uchida-cx_po_0525autofacescan07.html>
    y_p_w, May 26, 2006