Canon choice - older A620 or newer A540?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bugbear, Nov 15, 2006.

  1. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    In the UK at the moment the (seuperceded-by-the-a640)
    A620 is available at around £160

    whereas the a540 is available at around £125

    Tha main differences seem to be the display.

    The 620 has a 2", pull and twist, 115,000
    pixel unit, where the A540 has a 2.5" 85,000
    pixel unit.

    Which should I get (*) ?

    BugBear

    (I like the Canon 'A' range due to the extensive
    manual controls and use of normal 'AA' batteries)

    bugbear, Nov 15, 2006

  2. bugbear

    Dave Cohen Guest

    bugbear wrote:
    > In the UK at the moment the (seuperceded-by-the-a640)
    > A620 is available at around £160
    >
    > whereas the a540 is available at around £125
    >
    > Tha main differences seem to be the display.
    >
    > The 620 has a 2", pull and twist, 115,000
    > pixel unit, where the A540 has a 2.5" 85,000
    > pixel unit.
    >
    > Which should I get (*) ?
    >
    > BugBear
    >
    > (I like the Canon 'A' range due to the extensive
    > manual controls and use of normal 'AA' batteries)

    It's more than that. Look at the sensor sizes. You may not use the
    swivel screen much, but it comes in very handy for awkward shots like
    low level macro of shrubbery etc., plus it's less likely to get scratched.
    I would go for the A620.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 15, 2006

  3. bugbear

    iws Guest

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    > bugbear wrote:
    > > In the UK at the moment the (seuperceded-by-the-a640)
    > > A620 is available at around £160
    > >
    > > whereas the a540 is available at around £125
    > >
    > > Tha main differences seem to be the display.
    > >
    > > The 620 has a 2", pull and twist, 115,000
    > > pixel unit, where the A540 has a 2.5" 85,000
    > > pixel unit.
    > >
    > > Which should I get (*) ?
    > >
    > > BugBear
    > >
    > > (I like the Canon 'A' range due to the extensive
    > > manual controls and use of normal 'AA' batteries)

    > It's more than that. Look at the sensor sizes. You may not use the
    > swivel screen much, but it comes in very handy for awkward shots like
    > low level macro of shrubbery etc., plus it's less likely to get scratched.
    > I would go for the A620.
    > Dave Cohen

    I find the swivel LCD on my A620 one of its most useful features.

    iws, Nov 15, 2006