    Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
    or preferably free alternative?

    Many thanks

    Gumpster, Nov 3, 2006

  2. Gumpster

    tomm42 Guest

    On Nov 3, 10:47 am, "Gumpster" <> wrote:
    > I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
    > Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
    > have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
    > work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
    > works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
    > functionality that the Canon software should give me.
    >
    > Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
    > or preferably free alternative?
    >
    > Many thanks

    Have you tried Capture 1 LE, I believe the major difference is tethered
    shooting. Nikon is bad about good software too, the stuff they give you
    with the cameras is garbage.

    Tom

    tomm42, Nov 3, 2006

  3. Gumpster wrote:
    > I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
    > Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
    > have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
    > work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
    > works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
    > functionality that the Canon software should give me.
    >
    > Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
    > or preferably free alternative?
    >
    > Many thanks

    Try changing the setting on the camera in the menu under "Communication".

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 3, 2006
  4. Gumpster

    Gumpster Guest

    tomm42 wrote:
    > On Nov 3, 10:47 am, "Gumpster" <> wrote:
    > > I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
    > > Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
    > > have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
    > > work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
    > > works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
    > > functionality that the Canon software should give me.
    > >
    > > Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
    > > or preferably free alternative?
    > >
    > > Many thanks

    > Have you tried Capture 1 LE, I believe the major difference is tethered
    > shooting. Nikon is bad about good software too, the stuff they give you
    > with the cameras is garbage.
    >
    > Tom

    Thanks Tom but it's the tethered shooting I want :-(

    Gumpster, Nov 3, 2006
  5. Gumpster

    Gumpster Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Gumpster wrote:
    > > I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
    > > Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
    > > have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
    > > work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
    > > works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
    > > functionality that the Canon software should give me.
    > >
    > > Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
    > > or preferably free alternative?
    > >
    > > Many thanks
    > >

    > Try changing the setting on the camera in the menu under "Communication".
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    I'll give it a try but strange how it worked with Capture One......

    Gumpster, Nov 3, 2006
  6. Gumpster

    Gumpster Guest

    Gumpster wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    > > Gumpster wrote:
    > > > I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
    > > > Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
    > > > have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
    > > > work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
    > > > works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
    > > > functionality that the Canon software should give me.
    > > >
    > > > Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
    > > > or preferably free alternative?
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks
    > > >

    > > Try changing the setting on the camera in the menu under "Communication".
    > >
    > > --
    > > John McWilliams

    > I'll give it a try but strange how it worked with Capture One......

    I just tried it - I selected EOSCapture as the preferred device when my
    camera is attched. The program starts and immediately closes.
    grrrr......

    Gumpster, Nov 3, 2006
  7. Gumpster

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Gumpster <> wrote:
    >I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
    >Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
    >have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
    >work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
    >works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
    >functionality that the Canon software should give me.
    >
    >Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
    >or preferably free alternative?

    It's pretty crappy software. Somebody clearly didn't understand how
    to make it work on Mac OS X.

    There's a 9/2006 update on Canon's web site that you might try.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Nov 4, 2006
  8. Gumpster

    Gumpster Guest

    Ray Fischer wrote:
    > Gumpster <> wrote:
    > >I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
    > >Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
    > >have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
    > >work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
    > >works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
    > >functionality that the Canon software should give me.
    > >
    > >Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
    > >or preferably free alternative?

    > It's pretty crappy software. Somebody clearly didn't understand how
    > to make it work on Mac OS X.
    >
    > There's a 9/2006 update on Canon's web site that you might try.
    >
    > --
    > Ray Fischer

    Thanks for that - I can't find the link on canon USA or Asia - have you
    seen it somewhere else?

    Many thanks,

    Gumpster, Nov 10, 2006
  9. Gumpster

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Gumpster <> wrote:
    >Ray Fischer wrote:
    >> Gumpster <> wrote:
    >> >I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
    >> >Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
    >> >have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
    >> >work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
    >> >works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
    >> >functionality that the Canon software should give me.
    >> >
    >> >Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
    >> >or preferably free alternative?

    >> It's pretty crappy software. Somebody clearly didn't understand how
    >> to make it work on Mac OS X.
    >>
    >> There's a 9/2006 update on Canon's web site that you might try.

    >Thanks for that - I can't find the link on canon USA or Asia - have you
    >seen it somewhere else?

    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=215&modelid=12929

    Click on "Drivers/Software"

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Nov 12, 2006
  10. Gumpster

    Gumpster Guest

    Ray Fischer wrote:
    > Gumpster <> wrote:
    > >Ray Fischer wrote:

    > >> It's pretty crappy software. Somebody clearly didn't understand how
    > >> to make it work on Mac OS X.
    > >>
    > >> There's a 9/2006 update on Canon's web site that you might try.

    > >Thanks for that - I can't find the link on canon USA or Asia - have you
    > >seen it somewhere else?

    > http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=215&modelid=12929
    >
    > Click on "Drivers/Software"
    >
    > --
    > Ray Fischer

    Thank you for that link but it appears that the software is not
    compatible with intel Macs :-(

    Gumpster, Nov 13, 2006