Canon camera and camcorder advisory

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill, Nov 10, 2006.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Bill, Nov 10, 2006

  2. "Bill" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > - Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA
    > 50
    > - Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*),
    > A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*),
    > S410(*), S500(*)
    >
    > *Models added as of Oct.31, 2006

    We just had the CCD image sensor go on our A70. It matched the sample
    pictures we found on the web with the image smeared vertically.

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

    Our camera was never exposed to high temperature or high humidity mentioned
    in the service bulletin. One day it was working and the next it wasn't.

    We called Canon and they initially didn't volunteer that there was a recall,
    but did acknowledge it once we pointed out that service bulletin.

    Despite being out of warrantee, they paid for shipping both ways and we got
    the camera back in about 2 weeks at no cost to us. Can't ask more than
    that.

    It should be noted that the failure is in the CCD provided by Sony. Between
    the bad CCD imagers, the exploding laptop batteries, and the rootkit viruses
    they planted on their audio CDs, I won't knowingly be buying Sony products
    again.

    Bruce.
    Bruce Chastain, Nov 11, 2006

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Bruce Chastain" <> wrote in message

    > Despite being out of warrantee, they paid for shipping both ways and
    > we got the camera back in about 2 weeks at no cost to us. Can't ask
    > more than that.

    Glad to hear it worked out ok.

    > It should be noted that the failure is in the CCD provided by Sony.
    > Between the bad CCD imagers, the exploding laptop batteries, and the
    > rootkit viruses they planted on their audio CDs, I won't knowingly
    > be buying Sony products again.

    Sony does like to mess things up...too many CEOs trying to show off
    perhaps?

    :)
    Bill, Nov 13, 2006