Canon Camcorder Repair Experiences

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jahardi, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. Jahardi

    Jahardi Guest

    You may want to seriously consider checking into the service
    experiences of others before buying a Canon product.

    A relative gave me a Canon Elura2MC digital camcorder and it started
    requiring tapes to be ejected and reinserted once in a while after
    owning it 6 months. The action progressively got worse and by one
    year the camcorder was essentially non-functional it was occuring so
    often. Only covered for a one year warranty, my mistake was waiting
    the 13th month to send it to their Jamesburg, NJ repair facility.

    They refused to repair it under warranty and made a quote of $157.
    When we balked, they offered 20% off. I have seen others comment they
    received this discount too when they complained so I get the idea they
    mark repair up 20% expecting to reduce it back down again.

    When the camera was returned, it started doing it again after 3
    months. It would beep and print out "REMOVE TAPE". Again, this
    progressively got worse and so I just sent it in again for re-repair 8
    months after the first repair.

    I just called again and found out they want to charge $157 again for
    this repair. They offered the 20% discount until I complained. I feel
    they should repair it for free. In my mind I wonder if I keep the
    product if I'll have to continue to pay every year for this repair as
    I did nothing to cause it. Camcorders have fallen in value and I may
    research other brands and just buy a new one. I can assure you I will
    not consider Canon. I asked for a manager and they would only take a
    message. I know this manager, Mr. Louis Collazo, from my first repair
    and do not expect him to do anything just like before.

    Also, they do not seem customer friendly because they take long times
    to give estimates and make repairs. For example, my camcorder sat for
    one week before they even logged it in and today it has been 10 days
    and I still have no amount for the estimate, just that one was made
    andwas mailed. I guess I can't expect to get them to repair it gratis
    just because this problem continues to happen. You will also
    experience long hold times when you call and sometimes after someone
    answers, they hang up and you are disconnected. In short, it is
    obvious their repair is not at the top of their priorities.

    I have already written the President twice in Chesapeake, VA and he
    offered no consolation or assistance whatsoever.

    I shall continue to work through my ownership of this product, but I
    will not buy another Canon product based on these experiences. I have
    not had these problems with my other camera electronics products made
    by Sony or Minolta for reference.

    Jahardi

    Jahardi, Jan 20, 2004

  2. Jahardi

    Steve Guest

    Jahardi:

    I have had absolutely terrible customer service from Canon U.S.A. who failed
    to repair a defective A series digicam 3 times. It has now become a legal
    matter! Other people in this NG and other internet forums have also written
    about bad customer service and failed repairs from from Canon U.S.A. I
    eventually wrote to Mr. Kinya Uchiuda, President of Canon U.S.A. and this is
    what happened:

    In my letter to Canon, I wrote:

    Dear Mr. Uchiuda:

    I am writing this letter to express my dissatisfaction with Canon U.S.A.
    after waiting over 3 months and 2 failed repairs for Canon to resolve the
    problem with my defective PowerShot A40 digital camera.

    <SNIP>

    When I attempted to shoot some test pictures, I immediately observed that
    the viewfinder was blurry. Cleaning the lens with Kodak lens cleaner and
    cleaning tissue did not help.

    <SNIP>
    <END OF MY LETTER TO CANON>

    In my reply from Canon, they wrote:

    Dear Mr. Haymes:

    Your recent letter to Mr. Kinya Uchiuda has been forwarded to my attention.
    Please allow me to respond on his behalf.

    <SNIP>

    The problem has been isolated to using the camera with the ISO set to 50.
    This causing the programming to select a slow shutter speed and in turn
    creating camera shake. Only by using your settings with a tri-pod could you
    eliminate the shake.

    <SNIP>
    <END OF CANON REPLY>

    After over 30 years of experience in photography, I am certainly happy that
    the best that the President and CEO of Canon, U.S.A. could do is have a
    representative tell me that a low ISO setting caused the camera's program to
    select a low shutter speed creating camera shake. Unless there is something
    that I am missing after over 30 years of photography how does a slow shutter
    speed result in a blurry viewfinder? It results in a blurry picture but NOT
    a blurry viewfinder!

    Either Canon U.S.A. is very incompetent or the are very dishonest!

    I am glad that I did not bring my car to Canon with a "loose steering wheel"
    as they might have worked on my windshield wipers instead.

    I too will never buy a Canon product again. You will find little support
    from this NG as it is very biased in favor of Canon. If you want more info
    on the legal process to better deal with Canon, you can de-munge my email
    address and email me directly.

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 21, 2004

  3. Jahardi

    Jahardi Guest

    Steve,

    The fellow you wrote to at Canon, Mr. Kinya Uchiea, was the same guy I
    wrote to for my Elura2 problems. I got a similar letter in which my
    repair complaint was farmed off to some representative which stated
    they were complying with their policies and like the cost and
    conditions of the repair or skip it and have it returned. As I again
    am having problems with my Canon Elura2 "REMOVE TAPE" and Canon
    repair, I am about to write again and find someone else is now the
    President. I'm not going to waste my time writing him as this
    position I find is only the President of Canon repair. Maybe some
    results will come from wrting Canon USA in Lake Success. That is
    where THE HEAD president is I am presuming.

    -Jahardi

    Jahardi, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Jahardi

    Steve Guest

    Jahardi:

    Unless there has been a change, Mr. Kinya Uchiuda, is President of Canon
    U.S.A in Lake Success, N.Y.

    Kinya Uchida
    President and CEO
    Canon U.S.A., Inc.
    One Canon Plaza
    Lake Success , NY , 11042

    General Phone: 516-328-5000
    Website : http://www.usa.canon.com

    Do not expect to get much help from the head of Canon repair. That is why I
    wrote the head of Canon U.S.A. At least they replied. When I wrote to the
    head of Canon in Japan, nobody replied. As I said, I will never buy a Canon
    product again.

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Jahardi

    Steve, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Jahardi

    Jahardi Guest

    Re: Canon Camcorder Repair Experiences-Follow Up

    A follow up: The manager at the repair facility called and agreed to
    fic the camcorder for no charge. I got it to his attention that it
    was being repaired for the same problem it was previously repaired for
    8 months ago. This made me feel better.

    Jahardi, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Jahardi

    Neil Bailey Guest

    On 27 Jan 2004 17:35:23 -0800, (Jahardi) wrote:

    >A follow up: The manager at the repair facility called and agreed to
    >fic the camcorder for no charge. I got it to his attention that it
    >was being repaired for the same problem it was previously repaired for
    >8 months ago. This made me feel better.
    >
    >> Jahardi

    Hi

    Canon Uk are no better. I have a Canon Powershot S30 Digicam that is
    in Canon's repair centre for the third time during its warranty
    period. Each time it is there for weeks, each time i enclose a letter
    asking for a response, but just get the camera back repaired with no
    response.

    Has anyone in the group got an address or contact in Canon Uk that i
    can try to get a response out of please?

    TIA

    Neil

    Neil Bailey, Jan 28, 2004
  8. Jahardi

    mudtel

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I have a Optura 200MC camcorder which I suspect is having CCD problem. The image on LCD and viewer is distorted with a bright wide white line on the left and some noise scattered around the line. Captured image or video has the same distortion.

    Previously recorded good video and images play without the distortion.

    Bought it somewhere in 2003 ..having this problem since 2004 or 2005 and hardly use the camcorder. Canon products do not last and this could be the CCD issue that is recalled worldwide but no one in Canon is willing to repair mine for free.

    Since this experience, I have boycotted all canon products!!! Once bitten twice shy!!!

    mudtel, Aug 7, 2006
  9. Jahardi

    QuadMom

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    I know this is well later than your original post, so I hope you are still monitoring the thread.

    I have the same exact issue wiht a Canon GL2. Eject Tape while recording or playing.

    Where did you eventually get it fixed satisfactorily, and how long did it take? This is company equipment and I need it for an upcoming event rather soon. Yes, it's been dead for quite some time and I've put this off too long, but I'm still hoping....

    QuadMom, Mar 27, 2008