    This Old Man Guest

    Have you seen these batteries at Best Buy, Fry's, or anywhere else, for the
    10D or the 300D Rebel?
    This Old Man, Oct 24, 2003

  2. This Old Man

    Robertwgross Guest

    This Old Man wrote:
    >Have you seen these batteries at Best Buy, Fry's, or anywhere else, for the
    >10D or the 300D Rebel?

    The battery is the Canon BP-511. The Fry's Electronics store nearest to me
    stocks the Lenmar replacement for the price of $50. I found the Lenmar battery
    to have slightly more capacity than the original Canon. However, now that my
    original and my replacement are each one year old, they are beginning to show
    signs of age, so I ordered another replacement from GreenBatteries for about
    $35.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, Oct 24, 2003

  3. This Old Man

    James Hart Guest

    This Old Man wrote:
    > Have you seen these batteries at Best Buy, Fry's, or anywhere else,
    > for the 10D or the 300D Rebel?

    I bought mine from 7dayshop in Jersey for £15 each. Dirt cheap if you ask me
    and the same rated capacity as the one that came with the camera.

    --
    James...
    http://www.jameshart.co.uk/
    James Hart, Oct 24, 2003
  4. This Old Man

    Pedro Guest

    Like wise, dayhop, fab battery, made by Fameart in Germany.
    When my G5 shows that the battery is discharged I further discharge it on
    occasions with home made bulb discharger, and I believe that lithium ion
    batteries do have a bit of a memory hence I discharge. Don't shoot me down
    saying that they don't have a memory, because I believe they do. I had a
    defective Panasonic Lithium ion battery which I discharged till it was
    empty, stuck it into a freezer, recharged it and discharged it 3 times and
    its still working. The moral of the story do not leave your battery in you
    camera if you are not going to use it for a long time.
    Pedro

    Pedro, Oct 24, 2003
  5. This Old Man

    Tom Guest

    "This Old Man" <> wrote in message
    > Have you seen these batteries at Best Buy, Fry's, or anywhere else, for

    the
    > 10D or the 300D Rebel?

    I got my two sets of spares, four batteries total, on eBay.

    Paid $9.50 per brand new battery and they are higher capacity than original
    Canon batteries. Work fine and absolutly no problems through, oh, 15
    weddings now with the new sets.

    By the way, I have no affiliation with the eBay sellers, just a happy
    purchaser.

    Tom
    Tom, Oct 24, 2003
  6. According to Pedro <>:
    > Like wise, dayhop, fab battery, made by Fameart in Germany.
    > When my G5 shows that the battery is discharged I further discharge
    > it on occasions with home made bulb discharger, and I believe that
    > lithium ion batteries do have a bit of a memory hence I discharge.
    > Don't shoot me down saying that they don't have a memory, because I
    > believe they do. I had a defective Panasonic Lithium ion battery
    > which I discharged till it was empty, stuck it into a freezer,
    > recharged it and discharged it 3 times and its still working. The
    > moral of the story do not leave your battery in you camera if you are
    > not going to use it for a long time. Pedro

    I thought the life of LiIon batteries was _hurt_ by full discharges, the
    opposite of NiCd ... can anyone say for _sure_? I've noticed that my laptop
    drains its first battery down to about 15% before switching to the other
    battery, leading me to believe it's not good to drain them completely (it's
    LiIon).

    --
    eth'nT
    http://www.hydrous.net
    Ethan Trewhitt, Oct 24, 2003
  7. This Old Man

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > This Old Man wrote:
    > >Have you seen these batteries at Best Buy, Fry's, or anywhere else, for the
    > >10D or the 300D Rebel?

    > The battery is the Canon BP-511. The Fry's Electronics store nearest to me
    > stocks the Lenmar replacement for the price of $50. I found the Lenmar battery
    > to have slightly more capacity than the original Canon. However, now that my
    > original and my replacement are each one year old, they are beginning to show
    > signs of age, so I ordered another replacement from GreenBatteries for about
    > $35.
    >
    > ---Bob Gross---

    I got one at Wal-Mart for $25. Works great. I think it's a Digipower
    brand.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Oct 25, 2003
  8. This Old Man

    Robertwgross Guest

    Todd wrote:
    >I got one at Wal-Mart for $25. Works great. I think it's a Digipower
    >brand.

    We should each mark the spot on the ground where we are standing now and vow to
    return in exactly twelve months to compare how the different brands really hold
    up.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, Oct 25, 2003
  9. This Old Man

    Pedro Guest

    you admit your battery is deteriating so when it gets bad have go what have
    you got to loss, dont forget the freezer bit, and it has to thaw out atleast
    a day.
    Pedro

    Pedro, Oct 25, 2003
  10. "Ethan Trewhitt" <> writes:

    >I thought the life of LiIon batteries was _hurt_ by full discharges, the
    >opposite of NiCd ... can anyone say for _sure_? I've noticed that my laptop
    >drains its first battery down to about 15% before switching to the other
    >battery, leading me to believe it's not good to drain them completely (it's
    >LiIon).

    One problem with LiIon cells is that they are *permanently* damaged by
    discharge below a certain voltage. If that voltage is defined as the 0%
    charge point, and your laptop discharges it down to that point, you need
    to recharge the battery right away to avoid damage. While if the laptop
    stops somewhat before that point, you now have some time to recharge
    before damage occurs.

    Keep in mind that a battery discharges just sitting there, both due to
    internal chemical processes and because the monitoring electronics
    consumes a bit of power. So if you let the battery sit for a week
    before recharging it, the state of charge will be lower than when you
    stopped using it. The recommended charge level for long-term storage is
    40%, which allows for a long storage period before reaching 0%.

    As for your original question, my understanding is that it's best to
    recharge LiIon whenever convenient, without waiting for full discharge.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Oct 27, 2003