Canon "Black Screen"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Big John, Nov 30, 2006.

  1. Big John

    Big John Guest

    We have two Canon SD100's in the family, both about two years old, and
    within 30 days of each other both went suddenly "blank" - the LCD
    monitor, that is!! Nothing!! When you turn the camera on, you get the
    on-screen "Canon" display for about 5 seconds and then it goes
    completely blank. Through the viewfinder, everything looks great. You
    can go through all the menus and they all show and can be modified as if
    everything were normal but there is no image on the monitor. A try to
    take a picture using the viewfinder produces nothing!! It's simply dead!

    We have changed SD cards and batteries and nothing helps. We can view
    images already on the SD cards, but can't take any new ones. My daughter
    took hers to a camera store for repair and was told that she had the
    dreaded "Black Screen" and that repair was over $200!
    Needless to say for the "quoted" price of repair, this is more than a
    new camera of a different brand!!(She got a Vivatar of about the same
    capability for $149)

    Anybody else have this problem? Any recommendations?? (Other than head
    for Target for a new camera??

    Big John

    Big John, Nov 30, 2006

  2. Big John

    frederick Guest

    Big John wrote:
    > We have two Canon SD100's in the family, both about two years old, and
    > within 30 days of each other both went suddenly "blank" - the LCD
    > monitor, that is!! Nothing!! When you turn the camera on, you get the
    > on-screen "Canon" display for about 5 seconds and then it goes
    > completely blank. Through the viewfinder, everything looks great. You
    > can go through all the menus and they all show and can be modified as if
    > everything were normal but there is no image on the monitor. A try to
    > take a picture using the viewfinder produces nothing!! It's simply dead!
    >
    > We have changed SD cards and batteries and nothing helps. We can view
    > images already on the SD cards, but can't take any new ones. My daughter
    > took hers to a camera store for repair and was told that she had the
    > dreaded "Black Screen" and that repair was over $200!
    > Needless to say for the "quoted" price of repair, this is more than a
    > new camera of a different brand!!(She got a Vivatar of about the same
    > capability for $149)
    >
    > Anybody else have this problem? Any recommendations?? (Other than head
    > for Target for a new camera??
    >
    > Big John

    It's a fault with the CCD sensor.
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1128632808.html

    "Effective immediately, and regardless of warranty status, Canon will
    repair, free of charge, the products listed above exhibiting the
    above-mentioned malfunction if Canon determines that the malfunction is
    caused by the CCD image sensor. Canon will also cover the cost of
    shipping and handling in connection with this repair."

    frederick, Nov 30, 2006

  3. Big John

    Big John Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > Big John wrote:
    >
    >> We have two Canon SD100's in the family, both about two years old, and
    >> within 30 days of each other both went suddenly "blank" - the LCD
    >> monitor, that is!! Nothing!! When you turn the camera on, you get the
    >> on-screen "Canon" display for about 5 seconds and then it goes
    >> completely blank. Through the viewfinder, everything looks great. You
    >> can go through all the menus and they all show and can be modified as
    >> if everything were normal but there is no image on the monitor. A try
    >> to take a picture using the viewfinder produces nothing!! It's simply
    >> dead!
    >>
    >> We have changed SD cards and batteries and nothing helps. We can view
    >> images already on the SD cards, but can't take any new ones. My
    >> daughter took hers to a camera store for repair and was told that she
    >> had the dreaded "Black Screen" and that repair was over $200!
    >> Needless to say for the "quoted" price of repair, this is more than a
    >> new camera of a different brand!!(She got a Vivatar of about the same
    >> capability for $149)
    >>
    >> Anybody else have this problem? Any recommendations?? (Other than head
    >> for Target for a new camera??
    >>
    >> Big John

    > It's a fault with the CCD sensor.
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1128632808.html
    >

    > "Effective immediately, and regardless of warranty status, Canon will
    > repair, free of charge, the products listed above exhibiting the
    > above-mentioned malfunction if Canon determines that the malfunction is
    > caused by the CCD image sensor. Canon will also cover the cost of
    > shipping and handling in connection with this repair."

    Thanks a million!! I have already fired them a message, since their
    Service Center is closed (contrary to the times posted in their web page)

    Big John

    Big John, Nov 30, 2006
  4. Big John

    LuvLatins Guest

    Yikes TWO at the same time I would be pissed

    LuvLatins, Nov 30, 2006
  5. Big John

    frederick Guest

    LuvLatins wrote:
    > Yikes TWO at the same time I would be pissed

    Yes- but they are doing the right thing by the consumer - fixing them
    for free.

    frederick, Nov 30, 2006
  6. Big John

    LuvLatins Guest

    As they should but it still would piss me off.

    LuvLatins, Nov 30, 2006