    need to by a "real" Canon battery? Can someone recommend an equivalent
    generic battery that costs significantly less and the source?

    Thank you in advance

    Compulady, May 11, 2006

  2. Compulady

    Good Day Guest

    Good Day, May 11, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    Compulady <> wrote:

    > I am purchasing the Canon SD600 and will need a spare battery. Do I
    > need to by a "real" Canon battery? Can someone recommend an equivalent
    > generic battery that costs significantly less and the source?
    >
    > Thank you in advance

    The majority will likely disagree with me, but I believe you're better
    off with the original battery - or at least a name-brand replacement,
    like the one Duracell offers for this camera.

    With "generic" replacements, there's some slight risk that their
    characteristics may throw off charge indicators and charging circuits;
    or possibly even damage the camera.

    Plus, if anything goes wrong under warranty, and you're using
    non-authorized parts - guess who the manufacturer will blame? (Right or
    wrong).

    Scott Schuckert, May 11, 2006
  4. Compulady

    Pat Guest

    I use generics, but I don't know what brand they are -- they are
    generic. Order from someplace reputable like b&h and you'll be fine.

    Don't worry about the "unauthorized battery" if something goes wrong.
    When you send your dead camera in for repair, you remove the battery
    before you send it.

    I have never had any trouble. I think I have 2 manu batteries and
    about 4 generics. Yeah, that's a lot of batteries, but sometimes I
    have a lot of shooting before I can get to a charger.

    BTW, for flashes and other things that use disposable batteries, I
    always use brand name batteries. They have a much longer life. Many
    people are happy with rechargeable and that's a fine option, but as I
    said, when I shoot I don't always have the ability to get to a charge
    and I sometimes carry a couple of dozen AA batteries.

    Pat, May 11, 2006
  5. Compulady

    ASAAR Guest

    On 11 May 2006 11:08:18 -0700, Pat wrote:

    > I use generics, but I don't know what brand they are -- they are
    > generic. Order from someplace reputable like b&h and you'll be fine.

    B&H is an excellent source for cameras and related equipment, but
    their battery prices are usually quite a bit higher than what you
    might find at Adorama or J&R, which are also reputable dealers.

    ASAAR, May 11, 2006