Canon and imitation Canon batteries from ukdigital.co.uk?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Adam Funk, Mar 22, 2007.

  1. Adam Funk

    Adam Funk Guest

    Last summer I bought a pair of Powerstorm Canon NB-4L equivalent
    batteries from ukdigital.co.uk, and the first one recently started
    giving poor performance although I think it's only been through 20 or
    30 power cycles.

    So I opened the second one to use as a backup and both sides are
    bulging so it won't fit in the charger or camera.

    I've e-mailed the company about returning them. They're supposed to
    have a 1-year RTB guarantee, so I don't expect to have any trouble
    returning them.

    But I do need a spare battery --- should I ask this company to
    exchange the pair of dodgy ones in part-payment for a (more expensive)
    genuine Canon NB-4L?

    Will a genuine Canon battery be significantly better in the long run?

    Is ukdigital.co.uk generally a good supplier?

    Thanks,
    Adam
    Adam Funk, Mar 22, 2007

  2. Adam Funk

    John Bean Guest

    On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:30:58 +0000, Adam Funk
    <> wrote:
    >Is ukdigital.co.uk generally a good supplier?

    They're good people, I've been to their shop and bought from
    them often. I have no opinion of their batteries but I doubt
    they'll give you any hassle. Give them a ring.

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Mar 22, 2007

  3. Adam Funk

    Adam Funk Guest

    On 2007-03-22, John Bean wrote:

    >>Is ukdigital.co.uk generally a good supplier?

    > They're good people, I've been to their shop and bought from
    > them often. I have no opinion of their batteries but I doubt
    > they'll give you any hassle. Give them a ring.

    I e-mailed them and they said I could send the batteries back for them
    to examine. I decided to upgrade to the genuine Canon, so I told them
    so by e-mail and asked them to e-mail me back when they'd examined the
    batteries (rather than just sending replacements), then I returned the
    batteries (with a print-out of the e-mails) and ordered (and paid for)
    the Canon battery.

    Unfortunately they ignored that and sent replacements! And they still
    haven't answered my e-mails of 23 April and yesterday asking about the
    matter.

    (So for the moment, I've paid for a Canon battery, which I'm using,
    and two imitations, which are still unwrapped and which I don't want.)
    Adam Funk, May 3, 2007
  4. Adam Funk

    Adam Funk Guest

    >>>Is ukdigital.co.uk generally a good supplier?
    >>
    >> They're good people, I've been to their shop and bought from
    >> them often. I have no opinion of their batteries but I doubt
    >> they'll give you any hassle. Give them a ring.

    Unfortunately I've got a very poor impression of their customer
    service. They told me I could send the batteries back for them to
    examine; I made it clear I wanted to "trade up" to a genuine Canon
    battery so I ordered one and asked them to e-mail me when they'd
    examined the batteries. They ignored this and sent replacements
    (imitations again) without telling me.

    Then it took several e-mails to get another reply, which included the
    cryptic comment "Please bear in mind that the batteries bought in kit
    form do not have the mormal implied value." (Is this an admission
    that the non-Canon batteries are supposed to be crap?)

    I sent the unwanted batteries back and waited almost a month, then
    e-mailed them. They claimed --- falsely --- that they had left me a
    message because my credit card had expired (true), then refunded only
    the original price, leaving me out £5.48 (postage in the original
    order plus my costs of returning the batteries twice by recorded
    delivery).

    I'm going to contact them one more time about this, then ask my card
    issuer to do a chargeback for that amount. Based on their bad
    attitude and communication, I wouldn't recommend this company to
    anyone else.
    Adam Funk, Jul 24, 2007
  5. Adam Funk

    Adam Funk Guest

    Adam Funk <> wrote:

    > >> They're good people, I've been to their shop and bought from
    > >> them often. I have no opinion of their batteries but I doubt
    > >> they'll give you any hassle. Give them a ring.

    > Unfortunately I've got a very poor impression of their customer
    > service. They told me I could send the batteries back for them to
    > examine; I made it clear I wanted to "trade up" to a genuine Canon
    > battery so I ordered one and asked them to e-mail me when they'd
    > examined the batteries. They ignored this and sent replacements
    > (imitations again) without telling me.
    >
    > Then it took several e-mails to get another reply, which included the
    > cryptic comment "Please bear in mind that the batteries bought in kit
    > form do not have the mormal implied value." (Is this an admission
    > that the non-Canon batteries are supposed to be crap?)
    >
    > I sent the unwanted batteries back and waited almost a month, then
    > e-mailed them. They claimed --- falsely --- that they had left me a
    > message because my credit card had expired (true), then refunded only
    > the original price, leaving me out £5.48 (postage in the original
    > order plus my costs of returning the batteries twice by recorded
    > delivery).
    >
    > I'm going to contact them one more time about this, then ask my card
    > issuer to do a chargeback for that amount. Based on their bad
    > attitude and communication, I wouldn't recommend this company to
    > anyone else.

    In the end, they refused to refund the postage costs and claimed the
    Sale of Goods Act was not relevant. Fortunately my credit card issuer
    was cooperative and did a chargeback for the postage costs.

    I recommend avoiding that company.
    Adam Funk, Nov 8, 2007