Canon accessory annex: any problems with "losing" returned items?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Faughnan, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. Canon sells (overpriced) accessories for their cameras through the
    "Canon Accessory Annex": http://www.canoncompanystore.com/.

    I bought a G2 power adaptor from them (it's a long and not relevant
    story) in August. It cost $140! with tax and shipping.

    Within hours of the ill-fated order I fixed the problem with my
    original G2 charger. As soon as my $140 box arrived I sent it back
    unopened.

    Alas, I sent it US priority mail from the MSP Airport Post Office. I
    had a $1 proof of mailing certificate, but nothing else,and no
    insurance. It turns out that the USPS "Certificate of Mailing" is a
    scam. It means absolutely nothing.

    Canon claims they never received the package. The USPS will do "an
    investigation" but I've been told that this is essentially a trivial
    formality. So, I'm out $140.

    I'm posting to pass on two lessons (which most people probably don't
    need), and ask one question:

    1. In case you're ever tempted to send anything worth more than $10 by
    USPS, don't. Do use UPS and get a tracking number.

    2. Never bother with a "proof of mailing" certificate. Instead donate
    that $1 to charity.

    3. Has anyone else noticed a tendency of Canon's company store to
    "lose" things? Please email me below if you have. It will strengthen
    my case with Canon and may give me grounds for a complaint to a
    consumer protection agency.

    Personally, I suspect that the USPS delivered the package and Canon
    misplaced it. So far, Canon has not been terribly sympathetic.

    john

    meta: 030926, Canon, digital camera, peripheral, accessory,
    attachment, returns, customer service, shipping, USPS.

    John Faughnan, Sep 26, 2003

  2. John Faughnan

    Quaoar Guest

    John Faughnan wrote:
    > Canon sells (overpriced) accessories for their cameras through the
    > "Canon Accessory Annex": http://www.canoncompanystore.com/.
    >
    > I bought a G2 power adaptor from them (it's a long and not relevant
    > story) in August. It cost $140! with tax and shipping.
    >
    > Within hours of the ill-fated order I fixed the problem with my
    > original G2 charger. As soon as my $140 box arrived I sent it back
    > unopened.
    >
    > Alas, I sent it US priority mail from the MSP Airport Post Office. I
    > had a $1 proof of mailing certificate, but nothing else,and no
    > insurance. It turns out that the USPS "Certificate of Mailing" is a
    > scam. It means absolutely nothing.
    >
    > Canon claims they never received the package. The USPS will do "an
    > investigation" but I've been told that this is essentially a trivial
    > formality. So, I'm out $140.
    >
    > I'm posting to pass on two lessons (which most people probably don't
    > need), and ask one question:
    >
    > 1. In case you're ever tempted to send anything worth more than $10 by
    > USPS, don't. Do use UPS and get a tracking number.
    >
    > 2. Never bother with a "proof of mailing" certificate. Instead donate
    > that $1 to charity.
    >
    > 3. Has anyone else noticed a tendency of Canon's company store to
    > "lose" things? Please email me below if you have. It will strengthen
    > my case with Canon and may give me grounds for a complaint to a
    > consumer protection agency.
    >
    > Personally, I suspect that the USPS delivered the package and Canon
    > misplaced it. So far, Canon has not been terribly sympathetic.
    >
    > john
    >

    > meta: 030926, Canon, digital camera, peripheral, accessory,
    > attachment, returns, customer service, shipping, USPS.

    It might yet turn up. The "proper" way to do a return is to call the
    company, get an RMA (returned merchandise authorization) code, and put
    that code on the returned package. That immediately connects to a
    transaction at the company on receipt, and the "mail room" knows where
    to send it. Otherwise, the package has to be opened and then tracked
    to the transaction, which can take eons, if in fact little Johny in the
    mail room doesn't put it on eBay.

    Quaoar, Sep 26, 2003

  3. "Quaoar" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > John Faughnan wrote:
    > > Alas, I sent it US priority mail from the MSP Airport Post Office. I
    > > had a $1 proof of mailing certificate, but nothing else,and no
    > > insurance. It turns out that the USPS "Certificate of Mailing" is a
    > > scam. It means absolutely nothing.
    > >
    > > Canon claims they never received the package. The USPS will do "an
    > > investigation" but I've been told that this is essentially a trivial
    > > formality. So, I'm out $140.

    > > 3. Has anyone else noticed a tendency of Canon's company store to
    > > "lose" things? Please email me below if you have. It will strengthen
    > > my case with Canon and may give me grounds for a complaint to a
    > > consumer protection agency.
    > >
    > > Personally, I suspect that the USPS delivered the package and Canon
    > > misplaced it. So far, Canon has not been terribly sympathetic.

    > It might yet turn up. The "proper" way to do a return is to call the
    > company, get an RMA (returned merchandise authorization) code, and put
    > that code on the returned package. That immediately connects to a
    > transaction at the company on receipt, and the "mail room" knows where
    > to send it. Otherwise, the package has to be opened and then tracked
    > to the transaction, which can take eons, if in fact little Johny in the
    > mail room doesn't put it on eBay.

    I omitted that the package had an RMA on the front label and in an
    enclosed letter. Thanks for thinking of that though.

    The lesson here, one needs a tracking number and an ability to say
    who's at fault -- the delivery service or the receiving service
    (Canon). In my case I have no way to show who's to blame -- it could
    be either the USPS or Canon.

    Personally I've had good experiences to date with the USPS. I think
    Canon screwed up, but I can't prove it -- so I'm out $140. I will
    probably lodge a complaint with the Illinois Better Business Bureau.
    My complaint by itself won't mean anything unless there's a pattern of
    problems.

    John Faughnan, Sep 27, 2003
  4. I'd returned a $140 camera power adaptor to Canon Accessory Annex by
    US Post a few weeks ago. As noted in an earlier post (see below),
    Canon claimed they never received it. My USPS "proof of mailing"
    receipt turned out to be of little interest to either Canon or the
    USPS. I did ask the USPS to start an investigation. I mailed and
    phoned Canon, basically asking them to look again. Without proof of
    delivery (tracking number!) I couldn't do anything else.

    I'm happy to report Canon found the charger. I was unable to learn
    whether the fault was Canon's or the USPS.

    Morals of the story:

    1. Be at least a little careful with ordering through the Canon
    Accessory Annex.
    2. Never return anything of value without a tracking number.

    (John Faughnan) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Canon sells (overpriced) accessories for their cameras through the
    > "Canon Accessory Annex": http://www.canoncompanystore.com/.
    >
    > I bought a G2 power adaptor from them (it's a long and not relevant
    > story) in August. It cost $140! with tax and shipping.
    >
    > Within hours of the ill-fated order I fixed the problem with my
    > original G2 charger. As soon as my $140 box arrived I sent it back
    > unopened.
    >
    > Alas, I sent it US priority mail from the MSP Airport Post Office. I
    > had a $1 proof of mailing certificate, but nothing else,and no
    > insurance. It turns out that the USPS "Certificate of Mailing" is a
    > scam. It means absolutely nothing.
    >
    > Canon claims they never received the package. The USPS will do "an
    > investigation" but I've been told that this is essentially a trivial
    > formality. So, I'm out $140...

    john

    meta: 030926, Canon, digital camera, peripheral, accessory, jfaughnan,
    jgfaughnan, postal service, returns, customer service, shipping, USPS.

    John Faughnan, Oct 4, 2003