Canon A95 Successor?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DHB, Apr 20, 2005.

  1. DHB

    DHB Guest

    Does anybody know if Canon intends to continue the Axx line
    beyond the A95? Almost 2 months ago I purchased an A95 & have been so
    pleased with it that I am considering ordering a 2nd but for
    specialized use with a lens adapter, filters & a reverse mounted 50mm
    lens to act as a super Macro adapter.

    The question is, should I wait to see what replaces the A95 or
    just order another soon? Hate to order the same thing only to soon
    after have something better replace it for about the same cost. 5MP
    with the 1/1.8" CCD seems to be as far as I think they should push
    this size sensor up the MP race ladder.

    My concern is that since Canon seems to be converting most of
    their P&S digital cameras over to SD memory, I am hoping that they
    will continue to use CF memory cards with the A95's replacement so
    that I can use my investment in large capacity CF cards from my DSLR &
    other cameras with it.

    So, any thoughts as to what Canon may be planning or when they
    night announce an upgrade to the A95 would be nice.

    Features I would like to see in the A95's replacement:

    1> CF memory card usage.
    2> Quick & secure mounting of external filters, lenses & etc.
    3> 5MP or more but only if the noise level is equal or less.
    4> Swivel LCD Display.
    5> "C" Custom mode that even remembers manual focus & zoom position.
    6> "AA" NiMH use is a plus too but not a deal break without it.
    7> An interval timer like that on the S60/S70 would be nice too.

    All constructive information/opinions are welcome & I thank
    all in advance.

    Respectfully, DHB
    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    DHB, Apr 20, 2005

  2. DHB

    Alf92 Guest

    DHB a dit ça :

    > Features I would like to see in the A95's replacement:

    Canon A520

    > 1> CF memory card usage.

    no, SD

    > 2> Quick & secure mounting of external filters, lenses & etc.

    yes

    > 3> 5MP or more but only if the noise level is equal or less.

    4Mp

    > 4> Swivel LCD Display.

    no

    > 5> "C" Custom mode that even remembers manual focus & zoom position.

    yes

    > 6> "AA" NiMH use is a plus too but not a deal break without it.

    yes (2, and not 4 as on the A95)

    --
    Cordialement,
    Alf92
    Alf92, Apr 20, 2005

  3. DHB

    DHB Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:29:08 +0200, "Alf92"
    <alf92[NO-SPAM]@freesurf.fr> wrote:

    >DHB a dit ça :
    >
    >> Features I would like to see in the A95's replacement:

    >Canon A520
    >
    >> 1> CF memory card usage.

    >no, SD
    >
    >> 2> Quick & secure mounting of external filters, lenses & etc.

    >yes
    >
    >> 3> 5MP or more but only if the noise level is equal or less.

    >4Mp
    >
    >> 4> Swivel LCD Display.

    >no
    >
    >> 5> "C" Custom mode that even remembers manual focus & zoom position.

    >yes
    >
    >> 6> "AA" NiMH use is a plus too but not a deal break without it.

    >yes (2, and not 4 as on the A95)
    >
    >> 7> An interval timer like that on the S60/S70 would be nice too.

    >no

    Alf92,
    hopefully the A510, A520 & future A530, A540, etc..... will
    not replace the (A95) Axx series. SD flash memory is fine for smaller
    P&S cameras but I hope Canon does not continue this with the Axx & Sxx
    P&S camera line.

    Maybe selfish on my part because I have a considerable
    investment in CF cards & would like to use them with both my DSLR &
    P&S digital cameras. Yes I do want my cake & eat it too, but it's
    only human nature to wish for such, reality may however be completely
    incompatible with what "I" want.

    Thanks for your input & in advance to anybody else.

    Respectfully, DHB
    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    DHB, Apr 20, 2005
  4. DHB

    BucketButt Guest

    DHB wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:29:08 +0200, "Alf92"
    > <alf92[NO-SPAM]@freesurf.fr> wrote:
    >

    >>DHB a dit ça :
    >>

    >>>Features I would like to see in the A95's replacement:

    >>Canon A520
    >>

    >>>1> CF memory card usage.

    >>no, SD
    >>

    >>>2> Quick & secure mounting of external filters, lenses & etc.

    >>yes
    >>

    >>>3> 5MP or more but only if the noise level is equal or less.

    >>4Mp
    >>

    >>>4> Swivel LCD Display.

    >>no
    >>

    >>>5> "C" Custom mode that even remembers manual focus & zoom position.

    >>yes
    >>

    >>>6> "AA" NiMH use is a plus too but not a deal break without it.

    >>yes (2, and not 4 as on the A95)
    >>

    >>>7> An interval timer like that on the S60/S70 would be nice too.

    >>no

    > Alf92,
    > hopefully the A510, A520 & future A530, A540, etc..... will
    > not replace the (A95) Axx series. SD flash memory is fine for smaller
    > P&S cameras but I hope Canon does not continue this with the Axx & Sxx
    > P&S camera line.
    >
    > Maybe selfish on my part because I have a considerable
    > investment in CF cards & would like to use them with both my DSLR &
    > P&S digital cameras. Yes I do want my cake & eat it too, but it's
    > only human nature to wish for such, reality may however be completely
    > incompatible with what "I" want.
    >
    > Thanks for your input & in advance to anybody else.
    >
    > Respectfully, DHB

    I agree with you on the matter of Compact Flash cards. Other flash
    memory formats may work just as well, but CF cards generally cost less
    and offer a wider range of capacities than the others. And if I run out
    of storage while traveling, CF cards are nearly as readily available as
    alkaline AAs (essential when my NiMHs are exhausted).

    I might give up AA compatibility on my ext camera, provided battery
    capacity is sufficient to let me get by with only one spare battery; but
    the ability to use CF cards is much more important to me. Seen in that
    light, the A520 isn't really a successor to the A95, but rather an
    alternative to it for those who like SD cards. Okay, I'll admit I'd
    accept SD compatibility if I didn't already have a camera and other
    devices that use CF; but I prefer to use the most readily available
    supplies whenever possible, and high-capacity SD cards just aren't as
    common around here as high-capacity CF cards.

    --
    Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
    Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer
    BucketButt, Apr 20, 2005
  5. DHB

    Cathy Guest

    "Alf92" <alf92[NO-SPAM]@freesurf.fr> wrote in message
    > DHB a dit ça :
    >
    > > Features I would like to see in the A95's replacement:

    > Canon A520

    The Canon A520 replaced the Canon A85. The A510 replaced the Canon A75.
    The A95 replacement has not come out yet so hard to say what it will be
    like.

    Cthy
    Cathy, Apr 20, 2005
  6. DHB

    Jack Dotson Guest

    The 520 looks like a really good camera, but for just a bit more wouldn't
    most of you go with the Sony DSC-W5? 5 MP, 2 1/2" LCD, 2 rechargeable AA
    batteries include with charger, etc.

    Jack Dotson, Apr 21, 2005
  7. DHB

    Guest

    I was thinking of getting an A85 or 95 sometimes in the future (toward
    2006). I have already seen the A75 replaced by the A510. I don't care
    for SD as well, it's more expensive and not with most compatable with
    DSLR's (which use CF).
    The 510 touts a 4X zoom and uses 2 AA batteries, but from what I've
    seen of it in there store I do not care for it. Looks cheaper than the
    A75. I have a Canon A75 that is on the fritz and under warranty (lens
    stuck) and will be sent back for repair. Other than the lens problem
    (which happened out of the blue) I have been very pleased with the
    camera. I have an extended plan also, so if the camera fails again
    after warranty, the store will actually give me a gift card for a
    replacement. If God forbid that time came, I'd sure hope the A85 or 95
    would still be around.
    I guess Canon wants to cheapen their cameras and make those who want
    more professional compact cameras pay more. I refuse to use anything
    that uses SD. CF and AA battery is a must.
    , Apr 21, 2005
  8. DHB

    DHB Guest

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 02:12:35 GMT, "Jack Dotson" <>
    wrote:

    >The 520 looks like a really good camera, but for just a bit more wouldn't
    >most of you go with the Sony DSC-W5? 5 MP, 2 1/2" LCD, 2 rechargeable AA
    >batteries include with charger, etc.

    Snip.......

    Jack Dotson,
    from what I know of the Sony DSC-W5, it's a fine
    camera but I would like A camera that U can use my CF cards from my
    other cameras. For somebody starting off in digital photography this
    camera might be a very good choice but because I have a DSLR & other
    digital cameras, all of which use CF memory, my investment in this
    area is considerable & I don't want to have to buy a different type of
    memory.

    This for me is just being practical. The A95 is a very good
    camera & as stated I am considering buying another for sole use with
    optical accessories, making the other my everyday camera when I want
    to travel light but still have a good camera with me.

    B&H just dropped the price to about $270.00 US which makes it
    even more attractive but it also makes me wonder if they did so to
    clear out inventory of something else, like it's replacement?

    May come down to flipping a coin as to if I want to wait & see
    if a replacement is announced & risk the possibility that the A95
    cameras might sell out before that.

    Today I will likely decide. Input always welcome.

    Thanks in advance.

    Respectfully, DHB

    ..
    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    DHB, Apr 21, 2005
  9. wrote:
    > I refuse to use anything that uses SD.

    Why?
    David J Taylor, Apr 21, 2005
  10. DHB

    Cathy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I was thinking of getting an A85 or 95 sometimes in the future (toward
    > 2006). I have already seen the A75 replaced by the A510. I don't care
    > for SD as well, it's more expensive and not with most compatable with
    > DSLR's (which use CF).

    If you are thinking of getting an A85 or A95, you should get them soon.
    The A75 and A85
    have already been replaced with the A510 and A520.The A95 is expected to
    be replaced as well,but hasn't happened yet. I am in Toronto, Canada and
    most camera stores lowered the prices of A75 and A85 in the last couple
    of months and the salesmen in camera stores say the A75 and A85 will be
    discontinued.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Apr 22, 2005
  11. DHB

    Guest

    Because I have spent alot of money on CF cards and readers. Plus CF
    cards are easier to find and are cheaper in general.
    , Apr 22, 2005
  12. DHB

    Guest

    It's a damn shame. Canon seems to be narrowing their Point and Shoot
    models to SD units only. I guess they feel they'd rather have smaller
    units. The A75 seems pretty easy to carry to me, I don't think I'd want
    anything smaller. The 4X zoom is a nice feature in the new models
    though, but I heard the lens is more prone to the barrel effect.
    The A75 and it's 3.2MP is really fine enough for me, I don't really see
    that much of a difference between 3mp and 5mp. Well if the clearance
    prices are low enough I just may get an A85 or 95 before they're gone.
    It just seems these companies love to narrow their selection of
    products, at least in North America. :-(
    , Apr 22, 2005
  13. DHB

    cyclops Guest

    Alf92 wrote:
    > DHB a dit ça :
    >

    >>Features I would like to see in the A95's replacement:

    > Canon A520

    A520 replaces the A85

    cyclops, Apr 22, 2005
  14. DHB

    Mark² Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Because I have spent alot of money on CF cards and readers. Plus CF
    > cards are easier to find and are cheaper in general.

    Personally, I like the SD form factor, though like you, I am heavily
    invested in CF for my DSLR stuff. I have been resistant as you are, but I'm
    seeing more and more that SD is catching up quickly in terms of capacity and
    price.

    1GB SD and CF cards are basically identically priced anymore... CF is still
    significantly cheaper at 2GB and up, but that will change. In my view, SD
    will take over CF before long--even in SLRs. Look no further than the Canon
    professional series of DSLRs for examples of the move toward SD (they accept
    BOTH SD and CF).

    The ability to cram huge capacity is increasingly becoming less
    size-dependant. Before long, it won't be an issue of the form factor in
    terms of capacity...rather simply what is the smallest form factor that can
    be handled easily. For me, this means no smaller than SD.
    Mark², Apr 22, 2005
  15. DHB

    DHB Guest

    On 21 Apr 2005 17:14:32 -0700, wrote:

    >It's a damn shame. Canon seems to be narrowing their Point and Shoot
    >models to SD units only. I guess they feel they'd rather have smaller
    >units. The A75 seems pretty easy to carry to me, I don't think I'd want
    >anything smaller. The 4X zoom is a nice feature in the new models
    >though, but I heard the lens is more prone to the barrel effect.
    >The A75 and it's 3.2MP is really fine enough for me, I don't really see
    >that much of a difference between 3mp and 5mp. Well if the clearance
    >prices are low enough I just may get an A85 or 95 before they're gone.
    >It just seems these companies love to narrow their selection of
    >products, at least in North America. :-(

    Thanks for all of the advice/input/suggestions, I have just ordered a
    2nd A95 from B&H before they become a thing of the past.
    Unfortunately B&H is closed until 05/01/05 but I'm in no hurry, just
    want to get the order in just in case the sell out.

    Yes Canon could surprise me & come out with a successor to the
    A95 that still uses CF & "AA" but I fear that is unlikely due to their
    trend to convert almost their entire line over to SD flash memory. SD
    is OK but I would rather retain CF compatibility with my other
    cameras, including my DSLR. If virtually everything switches over to
    SD memory than I will need to do so eventually, but not now while I
    still have a choice.

    Also there won't be a learning curve on the A95 since I
    already have 1 & this will hold me over for @ least 2 years (I hope)
    before even considering anything new.

    Thanks again to all who responded.

    Respectfully, DHB

    PS Have been out taking a few "existing light only" pictures
    with my trusty A60, they are nothing special but it does show that MP
    is not everything. Also I was with my nephew today & he also has an
    A95 which I was showing him how to use under these conditions & boy
    did I ever regret not taking my A95 with me. The flip out LCD makes
    actuate framing possible in some very unusual camera positions. Here
    is the link to a very small collection of indoor pictures from my A60
    (2MP) if anybody is interested:

    www.pbase.com/dhb_2005

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    DHB, Apr 22, 2005