    what the camera is picking...but that seems like a gigantic pain...

    --

    Scott in Florida

    Scott in Florida, Aug 9, 2005

  2. Scott in Florida <> wrote:

    > If I leave my A95 in Auto for ISO is there anyplace that records the
    > actual ISO chosen?
    >
    > Would it be better to pick the ISO myself?
    >
    > I guess you could take along an external light meter and figure out
    > what the camera is picking...but that seems like a gigantic pain...

    Isn't it recorded in the EXIF data?

    Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
    If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

    Louise Bremner, Aug 9, 2005

  3. On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:13:48 GMT, (Louise
    Bremner) wrote:

    >Scott in Florida <> wrote:
    >
    >> If I leave my A95 in Auto for ISO is there anyplace that records the
    >> actual ISO chosen?
    >>
    >> Would it be better to pick the ISO myself?
    >>
    >> I guess you could take along an external light meter and figure out
    >> what the camera is picking...but that seems like a gigantic pain...

    >Isn't it recorded in the EXIF data?

    Comes out as Auto....

    If you select the ISO .... whatever you select is listed
    (50,100,200,400)

    --

    Scott in Florida

    Scott in Florida, Aug 9, 2005
  4. Scott in Florida <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:13:48 GMT, (Louise
    > Bremner) wrote:
    >
    > >Scott in Florida <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> If I leave my A95 in Auto for ISO is there anyplace that records the
    > >> actual ISO chosen?
    > >>
    > >> Would it be better to pick the ISO myself?
    > >>
    > >> I guess you could take along an external light meter and figure out
    > >> what the camera is picking...but that seems like a gigantic pain...

    > >Isn't it recorded in the EXIF data?

    > Comes out as Auto....

    Ak.... How annoying. (I've never used Auto on my cameras, so never
    thought to check.)

    Louise Bremner, Aug 10, 2005
  5. On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 01:23:41 GMT, (Louise
    Bremner) wrote:

    >Scott in Florida <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:13:48 GMT, (Louise
    >> Bremner) wrote:

    >> >Isn't it recorded in the EXIF data?

    >> Comes out as Auto....

    >Ak.... How annoying. (I've never used Auto on my cameras, so never
    >thought to check.)

    Funny how the aperture and shutter speed is encoded no matter what
    mode you are in. I wonder why they don't just insert whatever ISO
    they are using.

    Guess I'll start selecting the ISO on my own.

    Scott in Florida, Aug 10, 2005
  6. Scott in Florida

    Dave Cohen Guest

    It's worse than that. When not in full auto, looking back at older images,
    all I seem to see is 'manual mode selected', but doesn't say what manual
    mode, could be p or one of the scene modes etc..
    Another annoying feature I found out the hard way is iso auto always seem to
    be at 50, even in poor light in non full auto mode, so if you don't want 50,
    make sure you manually set. I don't know why the auto is shown in the iso
    menu if it's always 50!!
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Aug 10, 2005
  7. Scott in Florida

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 03:42:55 GMT, Dave Cohen wrote:

    > Another annoying feature I found out the hard way is iso auto always seem to
    > be at 50, even in poor light in non full auto mode, so if you don't want 50,
    > make sure you manually set. I don't know why the auto is shown in the iso
    > menu if it's always 50!!

    I found that on my camera (ISO 64 to ISO 400) that when in AUTO
    mode ISO 100 was always selected, whether in poor or relatively
    bright light. But when I widened the range to include *extremely*
    dark and bright objects, the camera grudgingly boosted the ISO to
    200 for the very brightest objects. It's probably best to never use
    AUTO ISO. In several reviews of the Fuji F10, it was noted that
    picture quality was considerably higher (lower noise) even when high
    ISOs were manually selected. I don't know whether that's true for
    other cameras, but it's something to be aware of.

    ASAAR, Aug 10, 2005
  8. On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 03:42:55 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <>
    wrote:

    >It's worse than that. When not in full auto, looking back at older images,
    >all I seem to see is 'manual mode selected', but doesn't say what manual
    >mode, could be p or one of the scene modes etc..
    >Another annoying feature I found out the hard way is iso auto always seem to
    >be at 50, even in poor light in non full auto mode, so if you don't want 50,
    >make sure you manually set. I don't know why the auto is shown in the iso
    >menu if it's always 50!!
    >Dave Cohen

    Dave....how could you tell it was 50 in P..Auto mode?

    The mystery deepens...LOL

    --

    Scott in Florida

    Scott in Florida, Aug 10, 2005
  9. Scott in Florida

    Celcius Guest

    Scott,
    I've had 3 Canons now. I've always read in articles, books and have been
    told _never to use the mode "Automatic", nor auto on anything you can set
    yourself_ (except of course, the f stop and speed, although one can bypass
    this). I tend to use P (program AE mode), set the ISO, the white balance and
    the metering mode. I also use Aperture value or Time value. I think my
    chances of messing up are lower than trusting "Automatic-everything". Of
    course, there's a price to pay if one doesn't have readily access to
    controls through poor design of the camera or poor knowledge of its
    workings. I try... but I'm not there yet.
    Marcel

    Celcius, Aug 10, 2005
  10. On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:57:23 -0400, "Celcius" <>
    wrote:

    >Scott,
    >I've had 3 Canons now. I've always read in articles, books and have been
    >told _never to use the mode "Automatic", nor auto on anything you can set
    >yourself_ (except of course, the f stop and speed, although one can bypass
    >this). I tend to use P (program AE mode), set the ISO, the white balance and
    >the metering mode. I also use Aperture value or Time value. I think my
    >chances of messing up are lower than trusting "Automatic-everything". Of
    >course, there's a price to pay if one doesn't have readily access to
    >controls through poor design of the camera or poor knowledge of its
    >workings. I try... but I'm not there yet.
    >Marcel

    I've been trying all the modes.

    Most of my shooting is in P mode...and now I will start forcing the
    ISO to a number instead of Auto.

    I sure wish the LCD were a bit more visible in direct sunlight....

    --

    Scott in Florida

    Scott in Florida, Aug 10, 2005
  11. Scott in Florida

    Dave Cohen Guest

    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 03:42:55 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It's worse than that. When not in full auto, looking back at older images,
    >>all I seem to see is 'manual mode selected', but doesn't say what manual
    >>mode, could be p or one of the scene modes etc..
    >>Another annoying feature I found out the hard way is iso auto always seem
    >>be at 50, even in poor light in non full auto mode, so if you don't want
    >>50,
    >>make sure you manually set. I don't know why the auto is shown in the iso
    >>menu if it's always 50!!
    >>Dave Cohen

    > Dave....how could you tell it was 50 in P..Auto mode?
    >
    > The mystery deepens...LOL

    By reviewing exif data. When main shooting mode is not full auto, actual iso
    speed is listed. Since I've nearly always forgotten to set iso manually even
    when I should have, I can confidently assume iso setting was full auto. I'll
    be more attentitive when required in future low light situtations.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Aug 10, 2005
  12. On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:26:05 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <>
    wrote:

    >"Scott in Florida" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 03:42:55 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>It's worse than that. When not in full auto, looking back at older images,
    >>>all I seem to see is 'manual mode selected', but doesn't say what manual
    >>>mode, could be p or one of the scene modes etc..
    >>>Another annoying feature I found out the hard way is iso auto always seem
    >>>be at 50, even in poor light in non full auto mode, so if you don't want
    >>>50,
    >>>make sure you manually set. I don't know why the auto is shown in the iso
    >>>menu if it's always 50!!
    >>>Dave Cohen

    >> Dave....how could you tell it was 50 in P..Auto mode?
    >>
    >> The mystery deepens...LOL

    >By reviewing exif data. When main shooting mode is not full auto, actual iso
    >speed is listed. Since I've nearly always forgotten to set iso manually even
    >when I should have, I can confidently assume iso setting was full auto. I'll
    >be more attentitive when required in future low light situtations.
    >Dave Cohen

    I've been reviewing a number of my shots on the A95 and if I leave ISO
    as Auto...that is the information in EXIF data.

    If I force an ISO, then that is reported as the actual ISO...

    I shall set the ISO myself from now on. I'm sure I'll screw up and
    leave it wrong a few times, but I'd rather know what it is set at than
    get an Auto answer...

    If you are not doing things....you aren't screwing up.....LOL

    --

    Scott in Florida

    Scott in Florida, Aug 11, 2005
  13. Scott in Florida

    DHB Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:58:58 GMT, Scott in Florida
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:26:05 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>"Scott in Florida" <> wrote in message

    >>> Dave....how could you tell it was 50 in P..Auto mode?
    >>>
    >>> The mystery deepens...LOL

    >>By reviewing exif data. When main shooting mode is not full auto, actual iso
    >>speed is listed. Since I've nearly always forgotten to set iso manually even
    >>when I should have, I can confidently assume iso setting was full auto. I'll
    >>be more attentitive when required in future low light situtations.
    >>Dave Cohen

    >I've been reviewing a number of my shots on the A95 and if I leave ISO
    >as Auto...that is the information in EXIF data.
    >
    >If I force an ISO, then that is reported as the actual ISO...
    >
    >I shall set the ISO myself from now on. I'm sure I'll screw up and
    >leave it wrong a few times, but I'd rather know what it is set at than
    >get an Auto answer...
    >
    >If you are not doing things....you aren't screwing up.....LOL
    >

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Scott in Florida

    Scott in Florida,
    you might be surprised @ what you can do with the
    A95 when you get used to using it manually set to ISO=50. Obviously
    noise in most situations will be lower "if" you are still able to get
    proper exposure @ that speed. That will depend on a lot of factors
    including how fast your subjects move, but for my needs with the A95
    it very rarely ever leave ISO=50

    ISO=50 also helps reduce the difference between indoor
    pictures with flash & daylight in the background. With higher ISO the
    background is often washed out, where as will ISO=50, it's closer to
    the same illuminations level as a flash illuminated subject. This is
    especially true for candid's of people @ fairs under the canopy of a
    tent.

    However, in a perfect world, it would be nice if the metadata
    showed as "AUTO/ISO=xxx", well I can dream/hope. lol

    Respectfully, DHB in MA

    ..
    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Aug 11, 2005
  14. On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 02:43:34 GMT, DHB <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:58:58 GMT, Scott in Florida
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:26:05 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Scott in Florida" <> wrote in message

    >>>By reviewing exif data. When main shooting mode is not full auto, actual iso
    >>>speed is listed. Since I've nearly always forgotten to set iso manually even
    >>>when I should have, I can confidently assume iso setting was full auto. I'll
    >>>be more attentitive when required in future low light situtations.
    >>>Dave Cohen

    >>I've been reviewing a number of my shots on the A95 and if I leave ISO
    >>as Auto...that is the information in EXIF data.
    >>
    >>If I force an ISO, then that is reported as the actual ISO...
    >>
    >>I shall set the ISO myself from now on. I'm sure I'll screw up and
    >>leave it wrong a few times, but I'd rather know what it is set at than
    >>get an Auto answer...
    >>
    >>If you are not doing things....you aren't screwing up.....LOL

    >Scott in Florida,
    > you might be surprised @ what you can do with the
    >A95 when you get used to using it manually set to ISO=50. Obviously
    >noise in most situations will be lower "if" you are still able to get
    >proper exposure @ that speed. That will depend on a lot of factors
    >including how fast your subjects move, but for my needs with the A95
    >it very rarely ever leave ISO=50

    I've set my A95 to 50 and am impressed with the pictures.

    I don't know why I didn't do that right out of the box....but it takes
    awhile to learn a new camera!

    ....now that we are dreaming.....I wish I could see the LCD in bright
    sunlight.

    > ISO=50 also helps reduce the difference between indoor
    >pictures with flash & daylight in the background. With higher ISO the
    >background is often washed out, where as will ISO=50, it's closer to
    >the same illuminations level as a flash illuminated subject. This is
    >especially true for candid's of people @ fairs under the canopy of a
    >tent.
    >
    > However, in a perfect world, it would be nice if the metadata
    >showed as "AUTO/ISO=xxx", well I can dream/hope. lol

    Knowing this isn't a perfect world....lol

    I suspect with a hand held meter, you could determine what the camera
    does under varies lighting conditions...but to be honest....now that
    I've taken on responsibility for ISO....I don't care....LOL

    --

    Scott in Florida

    Scott in Florida, Aug 11, 2005