    underwater/waterproof case when I go canoeing this summer.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    Brian C. Baird, Mar 8, 2005

  2. Brian C. Baird

    DHB Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 02:46:33 GMT, Brian C. Baird <>
    wrote:

    >Ok, after putzing around for a few days with the camera (I was delayed
    >waiting for my NiMHs to arrive) I've got a few shots for those of you
    >who wanted to see some samples from the A95. I included a few postcard
    >sized images with the date stamp on them because someone asked for
    >those.
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/a95
    >
    >Now, most of my "arty" shots were ruined by my lack of experience with
    >the camera, but what sharp, properly exposed photos I got out of the
    >camera (that aren't too ugly, like a picture of my shoe, or half of
    >someone's head) I've posted. I'm just now getting to the point where I
    >feel comfortable trusting the autofocus and manual flash exposure.
    >
    >It's a fun little camera. I'll probably use it with the
    >underwater/waterproof case when I go canoeing this summer.

    Brian C. Baird,
    thanks for sharing some of your pictures taken
    with your new A95 & I was the 1 who requested the postcard mode with
    the date stamp on because I did not see any in the reviews & wondered
    about the text color, size & placement.

    I also now have an A95 but have had very little opportunity to
    use it due to being too busy with higher priorities. So far I have
    only taken about 20 pictures but I am thus far pleased with it, it's a
    nice step-up from my A70 & most of the controls/menus are basically
    the same other than a few more features.

    Looking forward to using the "C" Custom mode to set a manual
    focus, WB, zoom & etc. which I will use for pre-focused candid
    pictures. Your correct, the AiAF feature is more problematic than
    helpful so I have it turned off on my other Axx cameras & have also
    set the focus point to center.

    Interesting to see that the default ISO is now ISO 50, when
    it's not in full auto which they probably did to keep noise down
    because they are using the same physical sensor size (1-1/8") that's
    used in my 4MP G2 but it now has 5MP in the same space.

    Here is a very nice informational write-up about the A80 but
    much of it will also apply to the A95, especially item #7:

    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/onlinesharing/A80/review/

    Thanks again for remembering my request & for leaving the EXIF
    data in your posted pictures. This helps me to see what worked for
    others & why, which in turn hopefully helps make me a bit better.

    Again thanks & best wishes to you with your A95, it won't
    compare with your 10D but considering the price & sensor size
    difference, it still a great "little" camera when you want to travel
    light. 1 last observation, they seem to have lowered the color
    saturation levels in "Vivid" mode from that of previous Axx models.
    On most of my other Axx cameras, if I left it in "Vivid" mode people's
    faces seemed to come out way too pink or even red. Maybe they just
    lowered the red channel down a bit but with flash it actually looks
    better in "Vivid" mode. As I use it more, if this turns out to be so
    & I don't want to bother with post editing, I may just leave it in
    "Vivid" mode for most pictures.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Mar 8, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > thanks for sharing some of your pictures taken
    > with your new A95 & I was the 1 who requested the postcard mode with
    > the date stamp on because I did not see any in the reviews & wondered
    > about the text color, size & placement.

    One thing that happens but you can't see in the photos I took is that
    the date stamp is automatically rotated with the camera orientation. So
    on portrait shots, the date stamp will still be in the lower right
    corner.

    > I also now have an A95 but have had very little opportunity to
    > use it due to being too busy with higher priorities. So far I have
    > only taken about 20 pictures but I am thus far pleased with it, it's a
    > nice step-up from my A70 & most of the controls/menus are basically
    > the same other than a few more features.

    I understand. I've been busy lately, but have had some time in between
    projects to "decompress" by chasing the dog around the house with the
    new camera.

    > Looking forward to using the "C" Custom mode to set a manual
    > focus, WB, zoom & etc. which I will use for pre-focused candid
    > pictures. Your correct, the AiAF feature is more problematic than
    > helpful so I have it turned off on my other Axx cameras & have also
    > set the focus point to center.

    I don't know what specifically about AiAF causes it to focus on the
    background so much. It SOUNDS like a good idea, but in practice I end
    up cursing every time the stuff BEHIND the subject is in focus.

    > Interesting to see that the default ISO is now ISO 50, when
    > it's not in full auto which they probably did to keep noise down
    > because they are using the same physical sensor size (1-1/8") that's
    > used in my 4MP G2 but it now has 5MP in the same space.

    Yeah, the sensor has quite a bit of noise compared to a DSLR, even at
    ISO 200. At ISO 400, it's pushing the definition of usability.

    > Thanks again for remembering my request & for leaving the EXIF
    > data in your posted pictures. This helps me to see what worked for
    > others & why, which in turn hopefully helps make me a bit better.

    No problem. I'm glad to be of help... for once!

    > Again thanks & best wishes to you with your A95, it won't
    > compare with your 10D but considering the price & sensor size
    > difference, it still a great "little" camera when you want to travel
    > light. 1 last observation, they seem to have lowered the color
    > saturation levels in "Vivid" mode from that of previous Axx models.
    > On most of my other Axx cameras, if I left it in "Vivid" mode people's
    > faces seemed to come out way too pink or even red. Maybe they just
    > lowered the red channel down a bit but with flash it actually looks
    > better in "Vivid" mode. As I use it more, if this turns out to be so
    > & I don't want to bother with post editing, I may just leave it in
    > "Vivid" mode for most pictures.

    I forwent the "vivid" mode for the "low-sharpening" special effect,
    which I used for the push-pin shots. While the other photos are
    sharpened about as much as they can be in-camera, the low-sharpening
    effect lets me balance the amount of sharpening I want without boosting
    artifacts or noise too much.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    Brian C. Baird, Mar 8, 2005
  4. Brian C. Baird

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Yeah, the sensor has quite a bit of noise compared to a DSLR, even at
    > ISO 200. At ISO 400, it's pushing the definition of usability.
    >
    > > Thanks again for remembering my request & for leaving the EXIF
    > > data in your posted pictures. This helps me to see what worked for
    > > others & why, which in turn hopefully helps make me a bit better.

    > No problem. I'm glad to be of help... for once!
    >
    > > Again thanks & best wishes to you with your A95, it won't
    > > compare with your 10D but considering the price & sensor size
    > > difference, it still a great "little" camera when you want to travel
    > > light. 1 last observation, they seem to have lowered the color
    > > saturation levels in "Vivid" mode from that of previous Axx models.
    > > On most of my other Axx cameras, if I left it in "Vivid" mode people's
    > > faces seemed to come out way too pink or even red. Maybe they just
    > > lowered the red channel down a bit but with flash it actually looks
    > > better in "Vivid" mode. As I use it more, if this turns out to be so
    > > & I don't want to bother with post editing, I may just leave it in
    > > "Vivid" mode for most pictures.

    > I forwent the "vivid" mode for the "low-sharpening" special effect,
    > which I used for the push-pin shots. While the other photos are
    > sharpened about as much as they can be in-camera, the low-sharpening
    > effect lets me balance the amount of sharpening I want without boosting
    > artifacts or noise too much.
    > --
    > http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    From the kind of photos you posted its obvious you "shoot around the house"
    like I do when other things dont crop up and gather my attention.

    I have found the higher ISOs to be nearly "beyond the realm of usability" (is
    that a word?) myself for every point & shoot & "ZLR" type camera I have used.
    (currently Fuji S5000, Fuji S7000, Sony F-717, Sony F828, Kodak 6490). I had
    a Sony V-1 which I sold (and I wish I hadn't) because of its terribly short
    battery life. It was very much a handy camera for these kind of photos. The
    V-3 looks attractive BUT its not a "pocket" camera, as they shaped it just
    enough like the F-828 (without the rotating body) that it doesnt REALLY fit
    any "pocket" I might have available.

    I know you only posted those pictures as examples, but having looked at them,
    I can tell the A95 is a camera I would gladly add to my arsenal if the
    oportunity arises.

    I feel your photos prove what I have long held as a philosophy towards
    photography:

    Dont dwell on what the camera CANNOT do, use it for what it does WELL and get
    the most you can from it.

    This philosophy has served me well, and kept me satisfied and happy with what
    Im using, instead of lusting after more advanced gear.

    Thats why I have so many shooters around the house. Each of them does
    something well.

    The Kodak does a nice job of shooting stuff for family photos to be printed
    at 4x6 around the holidays ect. (to much compression in the jpgs for anything
    larger) It was bought for the lens, but it isnt suitable for the nature shots
    I intended it for because of the jpg artifacting.

    Both of the Fuji cameras do a nice job on landscapes in the Autumn and
    produce files that can look really nice at 5x7 and 8x10. The "Chrome" setting
    on both Fujis does nice stuff with Autumn colors. The "10x" lens ont the
    S5000 makes it suitable for wildlife shots whenever I NEED IT.

    The Sony 717 is probably the finest all around 5mp camera I have EVER used.
    Its downfall is its lack of a "raw" capability.

    The 828 was purchased because I loved the 717 so much (not a brand loyalty,
    more a "style" loyalty) The 828 does really nice portraiture if everything
    is lit properly, and I just avoid setting it up for failure. It also performs
    well in the horse show ring when there isnt enough light to use the Fuji
    S7000. The shutter lag is short and it focuses quickly. In low light I use
    it in manual with a Sunpack 383 flash at f4 shutter at 160 shooting from 20
    to 30 feet distance. The laser doesnt seem to affect the horses at all, and
    I think they may not see it, unlike cats and dogs, horses dont react to it at
    all.

    I dont like, and dont use the very expensive (199 (US)) Sony auto flash in
    the show ring. For some reason it tends to result in over-exposed shots
    regardless of which "auto" mode its using. Its suitable for some thing, but
    it doesnt work well where the subject is dark (like about half the horses
    tend to be) Im sure it the metering in the camera, but if I go manual I like
    the Sunpak better.

    I have spent afternoons shooting 'round the yard, and gotten 200 photos, and
    I have spent whole afternoons trying to get just ONE good shot of a flower
    bud in natural light.

    Right now the most likely camera for me to use around the house is a Sony
    F828, which usually sits connected to a charger, so its ready to go at any
    time I see something I want to get a shot of.

    The Sony 717 usually is also ready to go, but since I've gotten used to the
    real manual zoom/focus on the 828 its hard to "go back" to the 717 unless I
    practice (or use the "auto" modes which negates the practice).

    I am currently building a web page where I will be able to post some of my
    shots.. I will be sure to put a link to some of my stuff when its ready.

    If anyone is offended by my long winded rambling, I apologize, but this
    morning I had the time. Im off work, its raining, and neither the cats, nor
    the dog are doing anything other than sleeping.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Mar 8, 2005
  5. Brian C. Baird

    DHB Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 12:11:00 GMT, Brian C. Baird <>
    wrote:

    >One thing that happens but you can't see in the photos I took is that
    >the date stamp is automatically rotated with the camera orientation. So
    >on portrait shots, the date stamp will still be in the lower right
    >corner.

    Wow that's a simple but impressive little feature that I was
    unaware of as I still have not tried that yet due either to time or
    weather constraints, it's raining now but it's expected to change to
    snow as the temperature drops here in Western MA, USA

    >I don't know what specifically about AiAF causes it to focus on the
    >background so much. It SOUNDS like a good idea, but in practice I end
    >up cursing every time the stuff BEHIND the subject is in focus.

    The strange thing is that is exactly what the AiAF is designed
    to prevent when somebody takes a picture of a couple & forgets or does
    not know to pre-focus on 1 person & then re-frame the shot, people get
    a lot of clearly focused background at the expense of their intended
    subjects. Canon & others probably need to work on this at bit more.
    The main reason I turned off this feature on all of my digital cameras
    is because it just seems to add to the needed focus time & will
    actually focus on the wrong thing mainly because I pre-focus as
    described above as a "good" habit.

    >Yeah, the sensor has quite a bit of noise compared to a DSLR, even at
    >ISO 200. At ISO 400, it's pushing the definition of usability.

    All of my P&S class digital cameras are set to their lowest
    ISO, 50 in most cases & I almost never see any need to move it up. On
    rare occasions where I do, I use Neat Image which does an impressive
    job reducing the image noise. If I know in advance that I will be
    shooting in low light then I usually take my DSLR (Digital Rebel/300D)
    & yes I do long for some of the missing features, but have learned to
    work around most of them & it was within my budget at the time. The
    biggest thing I miss & can't do much about, is the lack of a good
    screen for manual focus. Seems they addressed that in the new version
    but I intend to sit out this 1 & possibly the next generation before
    upgrading to a better DSLR.

    >I forwent the "vivid" mode for the "low-sharpening" special effect,
    >which I used for the push-pin shots. While the other photos are
    >sharpened about as much as they can be in-camera, the low-sharpening
    >effect lets me balance the amount of sharpening I want without boosting
    >artifacts or noise too much.

    A good point but I tend to take a lot of candid people
    pictures & night shots with existing light only. A tripod & the
    camera's built-in "dark frame subtraction" works wonders for that &
    the huge DOF that a P&S with a small senor/lens provides is a
    blessing. Granted, I am talking of exposures longer than 1 second,
    usually from 5-15 seconds long.

    As "Larry Lynch of Mystic, Ct. wrote:

    >"Dont dwell on what the camera CANNOT do, use it for what it does WELL and get
    >the most you can from it.

    >This philosophy has served me well, and kept me satisfied and happy with what
    >Im using, instead of lusting after more advanced gear.

    >Thats why I have so many shooters around the house. Each of them does
    >something well."

    Thanks Larry,
    I feel the same way but things are advancing &
    usually improving so fast that's I sometimes give in & buy another
    like I did with the A95. However, like you I still use the older
    cameras that I still have & like you, they each have their own use to
    which they continue to fill nicely. Also, I sometimes give an older
    camera to a family member or friend to help get them started in
    digital photography. That also helps me "justify" <LOL> a new
    toy/camera!

    And you thought you were long winded? <LOL>

    1 last point, I have spent some of my time building or
    converting various electronic motion/proximity detectors for use with
    some of my older digital cameras because I am lazy/want to save time &
    want them to replace me behind the camera for capturing things like
    birds or other critters. This way I can do what I have already done
    with video, let the sensors watch for a subject to get in front of the
    camera & have it trigger & end a recording.

    A picture taken of a bird at the bird feeder with a 2 or 3MP
    P&S only 2 or 3 feet away can be as good as 1 taken with my DSLR with
    a long telephoto lens from much further away & best of all I don't
    need to be there to get the picture. Works great with nocturnal
    critters on video with a Near Infrared sensitive camcorder or video
    camera & I can get it all while fast asleep! Lazy or efficient?
    Probably both! <LOL>

    Thank you both for your input.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Mar 8, 2005
  6. Brian C. Baird

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > 1 last point, I have spent some of my time building or
    > converting various electronic motion/proximity detectors for use with
    > some of my older digital cameras because I am lazy/want to save time &
    > want them to replace me behind the camera for capturing things like
    > birds or other critters. This way I can do what I have already done
    > with video, let the sensors watch for a subject to get in front of the
    > camera & have it trigger & end a recording.
    >
    > A picture taken of a bird at the bird feeder with a 2 or 3MP
    > P&S only 2 or 3 feet away can be as good as 1 taken with my DSLR with
    > a long telephoto lens from much further away & best of all I don't
    > need to be there to get the picture. Works great with nocturnal
    > critters on video with a Near Infrared sensitive camcorder or video
    > camera & I can get it all while fast asleep! Lazy or efficient?
    > Probably both! <LOL>
    >
    > Thank you both for your input.
    >
    > Respectfully, DHB

    I solved my "bird" problems 25 years ago by moving where I live!

    The birds here are either very trusting or very hungry.

    Most of the normally skittish breeds (Titmice & Nuthatches) cna be hand fed
    here with very little effort, and the normally not so skittish (sparrows,
    chickadees) can be an outright PAIN! (They wont get out of your face if there
    is food around.

    I havent done much birding with a camera around the house since I went
    digital because about the same time I went digital my wife aquired a VERY
    large yellow Tomcat, who kills for the fun of it!

    I havent filled the bird feeder since the first "MASSACREE!"!

    Now he rules the roost, more or less, since he has killed a few adult
    squirrels and an adult Screech Owl! (damn cat)

    He is getting older now, and only goes out once in a while. When he gets
    housebound, Im going back to the birds.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Mar 8, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    says...
    > If anyone is offended by my long winded rambling, I apologize, but this
    > morning I had the time. Im off work, its raining, and neither the cats, nor
    > the dog are doing anything other than sleeping.

    Sounds like you need to chase them with your camera!
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    Brian C. Baird, Mar 8, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    says...
    > Now he rules the roost, more or less, since he has killed a few adult
    > squirrels and an adult Screech Owl! (damn cat)

    Yoinks! That's one hell of a badass cat - must have an attitude like
    the one that beats up on my dog.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    Brian C. Baird, Mar 8, 2005
  9. Brian C. Baird

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Yoinks! That's one hell of a badass cat - must have an attitude like
    > the one that beats up on my dog.
    > --
    > http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    If you remember Morris the 9 Lives cat, you got the picture of what he looks
    like, then add about 25 or 30 % for SIZE (he is a BIG SOB) then add a
    "Garfield" attitude when inside the house (he will sit and watch a mouse go
    by, then yawn).

    Outdoors (where he used to go every day) he tends toward the old Warner Bros.
    Tasmanian Devil personna.

    I leave him alone and respect him, because he didn't leave my wifes side for
    two months except to use the cat box (I even had to bring him his food)
    during a long illnes.

    Suffice to say, he has his good points.

    About beating up dogs... He can knock my 35 pound Beagle smack over with one
    swipe of his paw (which he does at LEAST once a day). The beagle doesn't
    mind, he thinks the cat owns the house.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.