Canon A80's chromatic aberration problems

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Devin, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. Devin

    Devin Guest

    I'm considering buying a amateur-level digital camera. I currently own
    a very, very old Olympus Brio D-100 camera, which cost me a little
    under $120 three years ago. It doesn't even appear to have ever
    existed, according to Olympus's "discontinued models" list. Thus,
    anything would be an improvement.

    I want a digital camera which allow me to take high-quality pictures,
    obviously, but I also would like to get a few years worth of use out
    of it.

    I've been looking seriously at the Canon A80 and A75 cameras. On
    dcresource.com, the reviewer noted that both cameras have significant
    purple fringing in high-contrast areas. Since many of the pictures I
    intend to take are outdoor pictures in high-contrast areas (trees
    against sky, for instance), I would like your opinion on whether the
    purple fringing is a large problem.

    Also, is the 3 MP to 4 MP upgrade worth the extra $50? Also also,
    does the A80's larger imaging sensor size make a difference in image
    sharpness? Is THAT worth the extra $50?

    Are either of these cameras small enough to fit in a pocket to take
    to, say, a party?

    My budget is around $400, including whatever CF cards I may require
    for the new camera. If you could recommend a different brand camera at
    reasonably similar quality, I'd appreciate that as well.

    Thanks a lot,

    Devin
    Devin, Apr 19, 2004

  2. (Devin) writes:

    >I've been looking seriously at the Canon A80 and A75 cameras. On
    >dcresource.com, the reviewer noted that both cameras have significant
    >purple fringing in high-contrast areas. Since many of the pictures I
    >intend to take are outdoor pictures in high-contrast areas (trees
    >against sky, for instance), I would like your opinion on whether the
    >purple fringing is a large problem.

    I have an A80. The only images I've shot so far that show enough purple
    fringing to be visible at normal image size is a couple I shot inside a
    building with skylights. The photos were exposed for the indoor scene,
    which was lit by a mixture of window light and incandescents, but the
    scene contained a skylight showing bright clouds in the sky above, many
    stops overexposed compared to the interior. Otherwise, it's hardly been
    noticeable.

    >Also, is the 3 MP to 4 MP upgrade worth the extra $50? Also also,
    >does the A80's larger imaging sensor size make a difference in image
    >sharpness? Is THAT worth the extra $50?

    The difference between 3 and 4 MP at any given print size is fairly
    minor. However, the larger size of the 4 MP sensor means that each
    pixel actually has more area, despite there being more of them, than the
    3 MP sensor. Thus, the 4 MP images should be less noisy. The flip-out
    LCD display is also very useful in some circumstances. In my opinion,
    these two things make the A80 rather like a miniature G2, and not really
    in the same class as the A70.

    >Are either of these cameras small enough to fit in a pocket to take
    >to, say, a party?

    Better have a bit pocket. Cameras like the S500 and SD110 are better
    suited to that use (but then they lack manual exposure control and some
    other features the A80 has).

    I think the A80 is an excellent camera if its combination of features
    and size meets your needs.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Devin

    Devin Guest

    Thanks for your opinion, Dave.

    Would you recommend I use an online retailer, such as the cheap ones
    that are linked from bizrate.com, or an actual camera shop? I don't
    have that much money to spend, but I've heard that the construction of
    the various cameras can be drastically different. I guess I don't
    really want the hassle of shipping the camera back and forth in the
    event that it's defective. That might turn out more expensive in the
    long run.

    However, I did find a nice deal on a highly-reviewed online retailer,
    where I can get the A80, a 128 mb CF card, a camera case, and a lens
    cleaning kit for just under $370...

    Devin, Apr 19, 2004
  4. (Devin) writes:

    >Would you recommend I use an online retailer, such as the cheap ones
    >that are linked from bizrate.com, or an actual camera shop?

    Check out reputations carefully before buying from a company you've
    never dealt with before. Of the New York area camera stores, people
    generally think that B&H and Adorama are honest, but for anyone else
    you should check independent rating sites.

    Actual camera shops are likely to be more expensive, but offer the
    chance to handle the camera before buying, and often the opportunity to
    return it for refund within a short period if you don't like it.

    Only you can decide whether higher cost is worth better service.

    Personally, I don't mind buying electronics and books online, but I want
    to feel a camera in my hands before buying it.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Apr 20, 2004