    Any opinions? (I would call myself an advanced novice or a lower-end
    intermediate digital photographer).

    TIA!
    Lori, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Lori

    Mark Johnson Guest

    Lori <> wrote:

    >I'm upgrading from 2 Megs (Finepix) and have narrowed it down to these
    >two cameras after a lot of research.

    >Any opinions? (I would call myself an advanced novice or a lower-end
    >intermediate digital photographer).
    >TIA!

    I was impressed with a discontinued C-5050 I just got, to try out. Got
    it on ebay for about $400, with the remote. If you go that way, you'd
    need the Kenko? (or old Tiffen) tube adapter and a skylight filter to
    protect the lens. The chome Kenko? is 52mm. So a basic screw in 2x or
    3x telephoto would fit right there. So would a 10x closeup/'macro'
    lens. Add a Fl-20 flash, and you be set. It wouldn't fit in your
    pocket. But we're talking a huge camera bag, either - just a wide
    pocket case from Longs, or something. And I would guess a good 4.5+MP
    digicam, with the capabilities of this one, might beat a Finepix.
    Again, maybe - maybe not.
    Mark Johnson, Dec 3, 2003

  3. I'm very satisfied with my A80 so far.

    Image quality is great, the overall shooting cycle speed is ok (I would have
    liked it to be faster in Auto), the camera is sturdy, it is very easy to use
    for my wife (who only wants to take quick pictures) and it provides many
    options for me to tinker with.

    I like the variable angle LCD. I use it a lot. It is a bit small but it does
    the job.

    So I have no problem recommending you the A80

    World

    World Traveler, Dec 3, 2003
  4. On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 03:49:43 -0800, Lori <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm upgrading from 2 Megs (Finepix) and have narrowed it down to these
    >two cameras after a lot of research.
    >
    >Any opinions? (I would call myself an advanced novice or a lower-end
    >intermediate digital photographer).
    >
    >TIA!

    look into the olympus C-750...or u can just buy my C-4000 off me so I
    can get the C-750 :)
    ThermosBoy (TM), Dec 3, 2003
  5. "Lori" <> wrote in message
    > I'm upgrading from 2 Megs (Finepix) and have narrowed it down to these
    > two cameras after a lot of research.
    >
    > Any opinions? (I would call myself an advanced novice or a lower-end
    > intermediate digital photographer).

    There's still another model you might want to consider: the Minolta DiMAGE
    G400 (four megapixel sensor). If this camera lives up to its promises it
    could be just what you want. :)

    --
    Raymond Chuang
    Sacramento, CA USA
    Raymond Chuang, Dec 3, 2003
  6. Lori

    zbzbzb Guest

    >>TIA!
    >
    >I was impressed with a discontinued C-5050 I just got, to try out. Got
    >it on ebay for about $400, with the remote. If you go that way, you'd
    >need the Kenko? (or old Tiffen) tube adapter and a skylight filter to
    >protect the lens. The chome Kenko? is 52mm. So a basic screw in 2x or
    >3x telephoto would fit right there. So would a 10x closeup/'macro'
    >lens. Add a Fl-20 flash, and you be set. It wouldn't fit in your
    >pocket. But we're talking a huge camera bag, either - just a wide
    >pocket case from Longs, or something. And I would guess a good 4.5+MP
    >digicam, with the capabilities of this one, might beat a Finepix.
    >Again, maybe - maybe not.

    Nice advantage for the Canon A80 is the compactness over the C-5050. The A80
    will fit in a jacket pocket easily and in typical slack pair of pants, but not
    jeans.
    zbzbzb, Dec 3, 2003
  7. Lori

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Lori" <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm upgrading from 2 Megs (Finepix) and have narrowed it down to these
    > two cameras after a lot of research.

    A Canon A80 arrived at work today. I had a 30 minute play with it and
    compared with the A40 it is fast and has plenty of sensible manual
    settings - picture quality (on screen) was very good. I don't know about the
    other one but you won't go far wrong with the Canon - which can be bought in
    the UK for £280 or so. I shall probably still pursue my A70 in the January
    sales because I can put the £55 saved towards a replacement for my EOS600. I
    figure that digital cameras are currently at the stage of 386 or 486 and
    will be nibbling around the PII stage in 12 months or so. I can then buy
    something that will replace the EOS and wait another 2 years for something
    astonishing.

    John
    Eatmorepies, Dec 3, 2003