    John F Guest

    OK i'm finding similar street prices for the Canon A80 and the Canon S410.
    Which shoots a better picture? And which do you people favor personally?
    John F, Oct 22, 2004

  2. John F

    John F Guest

    CANON A80 vs CANON S410 vs NIKON 4200

    > OK i'm finding similar street prices for the Canon A80 and the Canon S410.
    And i'd also like to add the Nikon 4200 in the same price range.
    John F, Oct 22, 2004

  3. "John F" <> writes:
    >OK i'm finding similar street prices for the Canon A80 and the Canon S410.
    >Which shoots a better picture? And which do you people favor personally?

    Depends on what you want to do with it. Both use the same sensor and
    processing electronics, their lenses are almost identical in aperture
    and zoom range, so the images are likely to be almost the same (and
    better than many other cameras in their class that use smaller sensors).

    The S410 is the better camera to carry when you don't expect to be
    taking pictures, or that isn't your primary reason for being there. It
    is small and relatively light and can easily be carried on your belt when
    you're not using it.

    The A80 is the better camera if you're seriously planning to take
    photos. If you're a knowledgeable photographer, it has full manual
    exposure control plus aperture priority and shutter priority. If you're
    a beginner, it has "scene modes" that help take portraits, landscapes,
    and several other standard types of images without knowing how cameras
    work. The S410 has only "A" and "M" modes, equivalent to "Auto" and "P"
    on the A80 - none of the others. (Both cameras also have
    panorama-assist and movie modes). The A80 also has a flip-out LCD which
    is very useful for shooting at odd angles, and it can take accessory
    filters and tele/wide adapters. Overall, it's a much more flexible
    camera - but at a cost in size and weight.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Oct 22, 2004
  4. John F

    John F Guest

    "Dave Martindale" <> wrote in message
    > "John F" <> writes:
    > >OK i'm finding similar street prices for the Canon A80 and the Canon

    S410.
    > >Which shoots a better picture? And which do you people favor personally?

    > Depends on what you want to do with it. Both use the same sensor and
    > processing electronics, their lenses are almost identical in aperture
    > and zoom range, so the images are likely to be almost the same (and
    > better than many other cameras in their class that use smaller sensors).
    >
    > The S410 is the better camera to carry when you don't expect to be
    > taking pictures, or that isn't your primary reason for being there. It
    > is small and relatively light and can easily be carried on your belt when
    > you're not using it.
    >
    > The A80 is the better camera if you're seriously planning to take
    > photos. If you're a knowledgeable photographer, it has full manual
    > exposure control plus aperture priority and shutter priority. If you're
    > a beginner, it has "scene modes" that help take portraits, landscapes,
    > and several other standard types of images without knowing how cameras
    > work. The S410 has only "A" and "M" modes, equivalent to "Auto" and "P"
    > on the A80 - none of the others. (Both cameras also have
    > panorama-assist and movie modes). The A80 also has a flip-out LCD which
    > is very useful for shooting at odd angles, and it can take accessory
    > filters and tele/wide adapters. Overall, it's a much more flexible
    > camera - but at a cost in size and weight.
    >
    > Dave

    You're very knowledgeable Dave. Know anything about how the Nikon Coolpix
    4200 compares?
    John F, Oct 22, 2004
  5. John F

    MoHo Guest

    You might want to check out this website:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

    --
    "Time.........is what keeps everything from happening all at once."

    MoHo, Oct 22, 2004
  6. "John F" <> writes:

    >You're very knowledgeable Dave. Know anything about how the Nikon Coolpix
    >4200 compares?

    Sorry, can't help with that. I've used the S410 and A80, but have zero
    experience with the Nikon.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Oct 23, 2004