Canon A80 time lag disappointing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joseph O'Brien, May 9, 2005.

  1. Well, after several years of faithful service, I dropped my FujiFilm
    Finepix 2800 one too many times, and it's off to digicam heaven. It
    was really a great camera, and I would love to buy another one just
    like it. However, it's only available refurbished (it was originally
    manufactured in 2001). At $195, it's also as expensive as some newer
    cameras ($195).

    So, I did extensive research, and found that the Canon A70, A80, A95,
    etc. got wonderful reviews. Everyone seemed to love the entire line.
    The A80 was enough for me, so I bought it on eBay for $175+shipping.

    I was very disappointed. The time lag between pushing the button and
    the camera actually taking the picture was unacceptable, in my opinion.
    I read online about pushing the button half-way to establish focus,
    but with My FinePix 2800, focus was practically instant. I can't get
    the Canon to focus in under a second, regardless of the mode.

    So, I'm thinking about returning it and getting a refurbished FinePix
    2800. However, before doing so, I was wondering if anyone had a
    recommendation for under $195. I have already looked at descendants of
    the 2800, but they do not fulfill my CompactFlash/ SmartMedia/ AAA
    battery requirements.

    Thanks,
    Joseph
    Joseph O'Brien, May 9, 2005

  2. Joseph O'Brien

    DHB Guest

    On 8 May 2005 19:31:05 -0700, "Joseph O'Brien"
    <> wrote:

    >Well, after several years of faithful service, I dropped my FujiFilm
    >Finepix 2800 one too many times, and it's off to digicam heaven. It
    >was really a great camera, and I would love to buy another one just
    >like it. However, it's only available refurbished (it was originally
    >manufactured in 2001). At $195, it's also as expensive as some newer
    >cameras ($195).
    >
    >So, I did extensive research, and found that the Canon A70, A80, A95,
    >etc. got wonderful reviews. Everyone seemed to love the entire line.
    >The A80 was enough for me, so I bought it on eBay for $175+shipping.
    >
    >I was very disappointed. The time lag between pushing the button and
    >the camera actually taking the picture was unacceptable, in my opinion.
    > I read online about pushing the button half-way to establish focus,
    >but with My FinePix 2800, focus was practically instant. I can't get
    >the Canon to focus in under a second, regardless of the mode.
    >
    >So, I'm thinking about returning it and getting a refurbished FinePix
    >2800. However, before doing so, I was wondering if anyone had a
    >recommendation for under $195. I have already looked at descendants of
    >the 2800, but they do not fulfill my CompactFlash/ SmartMedia/ AAA
    >battery requirements.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Joseph

    Here is something you may wish to try before giving up on a
    great camera, it works very well with my A95 as well:

    http://albert.achtung.com/cameras/A80/index7.html#SNAP

    Basically this shows you how to set the "C" Custom mode with a
    MF setting for a hyper focal pre-focused effect. This same concept
    can be done with many other cameras as well for quick action shots as
    long as the it has a manual focus MF function, however most cameras
    cancel MF when powered off. The A80 & A95 have a "C" mode where MF &
    other settings can be programmed in, thus a quick turn of the dial to
    "C" mode & it's in SNAP Mode of your choosing.

    Here is an outstanding sight to use to calculate the settings
    for your camera which will work best for your camera & your needs:

    http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

    Hope this helps. Also works great for very low lighting when
    most cameras have trouble focusing, especially if they don't have some
    type of focus assist illumination. Worked well for me to capture
    action shots of snow skiers but I used f 5.6 in my case & upped EV to
    about +1 for most shots. Hope this info. helps you & others.

    Respectfully, DHB

    ..
    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    DHB, May 9, 2005