    if I keep trying.

    Anyone know anything about this malady? Thanks in advance,

    , Sep 16, 2006

  2. ASAAR Guest

    On 16 Sep 2006 10:38:36 -0700, wrote:

    > My A80 is mimicking the behavior of burning through batteries quickly,
    > but it's actually intermintently giving me the "replace battery pack"
    > alert when the batteries are still good. Eventually jostling the
    > compartment door and/or removing the batteries several times gets it
    > back running, but not always, and it's annoying that it doesn't start
    > up after working reinserting them and working the door the first few
    > times, so I can't be sure it's the door contacts not happening. It
    > could be something more internal that rights itself after the camera
    > has been flipped around a few times, but I can't pinpoint it. I've
    > cleaned out the battery compartment and lightly fudged the door so that
    > it would seemingly make better contact, but I'm afraid it'll snap off
    > if I keep trying.
    >
    > Anyone know anything about this malady? Thanks in advance,

    Not specifically. But I've seen similar problems with NiCad and
    NiMH batteries in radios. Most batteries cause no problems, but
    I've had a problem with a small percentage that seem to have a
    problem where their base (negative terminal) makes poor electrical
    contact and has to be cleaned. I can't say that the base appears to
    be oxidized, but when the problem appears, it's a bit duller than
    the more shiny appearance it has after being cleaned. And with
    these "problem" batteries, the problem eventually returns and
    requires additional cleaning. I'd suggest trying a different brand
    of NiMH batteries. Before spending money on more rechargeable
    batteries though, it might be worth seeing if using a pair of fresh
    alkaline AA batteries cause the problem goes away, at least while
    they're still relatively fresh. Because of their much steeper
    voltage curve than rechargeables (as well as their ability to have
    the voltage "bounce back" after a short rest), alkalines can also
    cause the camera to interminttently display battery warning messages
    after they've been used awhile, especially after the flash is used.
    ASAAR, Sep 16, 2006

  3. Ken Weitzel Guest

    wrote:
    > My A80 is mimicking the behavior of burning through batteries quickly,
    > but it's actually intermintently giving me the "replace battery pack"
    > alert when the batteries are still good. Eventually jostling the
    > compartment door and/or removing the batteries several times gets it
    > back running, but not always, and it's annoying that it doesn't start
    > up after working reinserting them and working the door the first few
    > times, so I can't be sure it's the door contacts not happening. It
    > could be something more internal that rights itself after the camera
    > has been flipped around a few times, but I can't pinpoint it. I've
    > cleaned out the battery compartment and lightly fudged the door so that
    > it would seemingly make better contact, but I'm afraid it'll snap off
    > if I keep trying.
    >
    > Anyone know anything about this malady? Thanks in advance,

    Hi V...

    Don't have or know your camera, but I'd strongly urge you
    to gently clean the contacts.

    Take the batteries out, get yourself a new pencil (or a pencil
    with a yet unused eraser on it) and gently "erase" the contact
    ends of the batteries.

    Then do the same to the contacts in the camera, being careful
    to not press hard enough to bend the springy parts.

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Sep 16, 2006
  4. Guest

    Thanks, Ken & ASAAR, for the replies. I had cleaned the camera
    contacts but not the batteries. So I was cleaning all the batteries
    earmarked for our cameras when my daughter emerged and said "My
    camera's eating batteries"! So the notion of a grubby battery or two
    as the culprit didn't seem as unlikely as I had thought. Even though
    I'm very aware of treating equipment well, it's occured to me that the
    teenage hands that share the battery drawer don't think much about
    washing hands before grabbing them, or not handling the contacts with
    their greasy fingers. So even though the batteries all looked OK, I'm
    going with that as the reason, even though I had cleaned and rebent the
    A80 contacts again, due to the Second Camera Theory conspiracy.

    Thanks for the tip!!!

    , Sep 20, 2006