Canon A80 problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jcombe@gmail.com, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have a Canon Poweshot A80 camera, which is just over two years old. A
    couple of months ago when I took a hundred or so shots, a few came out
    totally white. At first I assumed I had knocked the dial round to one
    of the other settings, with an incorrect exposure set, and not notice.
    However the problem gradually got worse. Now I find that although the
    LCD preview is fine, the shot is almost always virtually totally white
    when outside (but generally OK when inside). Sometimes however the LCD
    screen is totally black (although works, as the icons are there), the
    camera is unable to focus and fires the flash, regardless of how bright
    it is and the picture that comes out is totally black.

    For example I have put two photos on-line:-

    http://www.combe.plus.com/IMG_2587.JPG (almost totally white-out)
    http://www.combe.plus.com/IMG_2588.JPG (correctly exposed)

    The exposure for both of these is broadly the same, it was taken on
    auto mode (but the later is zoomed in), as you can see in the EXIF
    data, however one is totally overexposed.

    The fault sounds to me like a sticking shutter, where it either sticks
    open, taking a slightly longer exposure than intended, or sticks shut,
    creating a totally black picture. Shaking it sometimes seems to help
    clear the problem, but obviously is not a good thing to do!

    Is this likely to be the fault? Am I likely to be able to fix it by
    taking it apart, or is that likely to break it totally (I'm asuming a
    consumer camera of this level is unlikely to be economically
    repairable, now it is an old model)? The camera has taken approx 13,000
    shots, as the counter has gone back round to the start now, and I've
    never reset it. The problem started as intermittent, but got worse and
    now effects every single shot. Any help or suggestions appreciated! Is
    this the typical lifespan of a digital camera? I have an older Olympus
    C220, that is still working fine, but it probably hasn't taken as many
    pictures, despite being older.

    Thanks.
    Jon.
    , Apr 16, 2006