    one would you buy?

    Thanks for any input.

    Dave
    CaptainKrunch, Jan 24, 2004

  2. mmmmhhh, approximately every two weeks this question appears...

    The size of both is approximately the same (A80 more high, S50 more width),
    although I preferred (and still do) the S50. The S50 supports RAW format
    which the A80 doesn't. The S50 has the higher resolution, but the A80 has a
    flippable and turnable display. The S50 uses Li-Ion and the A80 NiMH but can
    also go with default AA batteries which might be important for you.

    It depends on your priorities:

    For a better comparison look at:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

    "CaptainKrunch" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Ok so I am looking at these two cameras. If they were the same price

    which

    Martin Wildam, Jan 25, 2004

  3. On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:53:34 -0800, CaptainKrunch <>
    wrote:

    > Ok so I am looking at these two cameras. If they were the same price
    > which one would you buy?

    Well, they are about the same price in the UK, and I have just made
    exactly that decision (S50 v. A80 vs. Coolpix 4500). I chose the A80
    (still waiting for it to arrive, though). Multiple reviews seem to
    suggest that Canon's 5MP cameras have optics that only suit 4MP sensors,
    so you get greater resolution but a worse picture. I was interested in
    the S45, but it happens that the best UK price for the S50 is
    significantly less than the best price for the S45. So I thought the A80
    may have a better lens-to-megapixel balance. It also has the flip out LCD
    like the G3/G5. On the downside, the A80 seems more to have more plastic
    in its construction than the S50 does. The A80 uses AA batteries, which
    might sometimes be an advantage. To compare price with the S50, though,
    remember that you need to add rechargeable AAs (NiMH are best) and a
    charger. Canon sells this, but you can get others a bit cheaper.

    I'll find out in a few days if I made a decent choice or not.

    Cheers,
    Tony.

    Anthony B. Coates, Jan 25, 2004