Canon A80 LCD Seems Dark

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Shannon, Aug 28, 2004.

  1. Shannon

    Shannon Guest

    I have a new Canon A80 and I'm just getting used to it. I have noticed
    that the LCD seems a little dark when I'm in outdoor shade, or low light
    indoors. For instance, I was at a low lighted train museum taking
    indoor pictures, and in some instances I couldn't see the object in the
    LCD, and in another instance, I was in the outdoor 5 pm shade taking a
    picture of a nearby object, and I could barely see the object. In both
    cases, the pictures turned out brighter than they appeared in the LCD.

    A friend has a Sony DSCP-71, and he tried taking the same pictures at
    the same time, and they showed up normal brightness in his LCD and
    brighter when taken.

    We both used all auto settings. His camera has an adjustment for LCD
    brightness, and he has it set to normal.

    I did a google and did find others asking about the A80 and dark LCD,
    but no one replied. Is this normal? Is there a setting to adjust the
    brightness?

    Thank you,
    Shannon
    Shannon, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Shannon

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Shannon wrote:
    > I have a new Canon A80 and I'm just getting used to it. I have noticed
    > that the LCD seems a little dark when I'm in outdoor shade, or low light
    > indoors. For instance, I was at a low lighted train museum taking
    > indoor pictures, and in some instances I couldn't see the object in the
    > LCD, and in another instance, I was in the outdoor 5 pm shade taking a
    > picture of a nearby object, and I could barely see the object. In both
    > cases, the pictures turned out brighter than they appeared in the LCD.
    >
    > A friend has a Sony DSCP-71, and he tried taking the same pictures at
    > the same time, and they showed up normal brightness in his LCD and
    > brighter when taken.
    >
    > We both used all auto settings. His camera has an adjustment for LCD
    > brightness, and he has it set to normal.
    >
    > I did a google and did find others asking about the A80 and dark LCD,
    > but no one replied. Is this normal? Is there a setting to adjust the
    > brightness?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Shannon

    The fact that you can see anything is an improvement over the A40. I
    don't use the lcd for shooting, but trying to set menu items in bright
    daylight is a challenge. I would like to see the menu items moved to a
    separate xtal display, some cameras have this but don't know what info
    is displayed. Still, the rest of the camera is great and A80 can only be
    better.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Sep 3, 2004

  3. Shannon

    Shannon Guest

    Dave Cohen <> wrote in

    > Shannon wrote:
    >> I have a new Canon A80 and I'm just getting used to it. I have
    >> noticed that the LCD seems a little dark when I'm in outdoor shade,
    >> or low light indoors. For instance, I was at a low lighted train
    >> museum taking indoor pictures, and in some instances I couldn't see
    >> the object in the LCD, and in another instance, I was in the outdoor
    >> 5 pm shade taking a picture of a nearby object, and I could barely
    >> see the object. In both cases, the pictures turned out brighter than
    >> they appeared in the LCD.
    >>
    >> A friend has a Sony DSCP-71, and he tried taking the same pictures at
    >> the same time, and they showed up normal brightness in his LCD and
    >> brighter when taken.
    >>
    >> We both used all auto settings. His camera has an adjustment for LCD
    >> brightness, and he has it set to normal.
    >>
    >> I did a google and did find others asking about the A80 and dark LCD,
    >> but no one replied. Is this normal? Is there a setting to adjust
    >> the brightness?
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >> Shannon
    >>

    > The fact that you can see anything is an improvement over the A40. I
    > don't use the lcd for shooting, but trying to set menu items in bright
    > daylight is a challenge. I would like to see the menu items moved to a
    > separate xtal display, some cameras have this but don't know what info
    > is displayed. Still, the rest of the camera is great and A80 can only
    > be better.
    > Dave Cohen

    I have adjusted myself to the A80, and I really like it a lot. I still
    use the lcd for shooting, since it shows more than the viewfinder, but
    there are times when I have to use the viewfinder, esp. in darker
    situations.

    I'm really having fun with the macro mode, too.

    Shannon
    Shannon, Sep 5, 2004