Canon A80 -- how bad/good is it really?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Michael Koch, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. Michael Koch

    Michael Koch Guest

    Calling on Canon A80 users.

    I've read the review of the camera on www.dcresource.com. The reviewer
    points out dissatisfaction with chromatic aberrations/purple fringing. Those
    of you who've used this camera, how bad is it really? Anything else I should
    be aware of that is reason for concern (apart from what dcresource points
    out)?

    Basically, I'm looking for a compact digital camera, preferably 4 MP, with
    decent features that takes great pictures. I've also looked at the Canon
    S400, but I'm concerned that the lack of manual controls might spoil some of
    the fun in the long run for me. I don't care too much for the S50 and S45,
    because of the flimsy lens cover. I looked at the camera in several stores,
    and everywhere I looked at it the lens cover had shown serious signs of wear
    and tear. I'm somewhat hesitant to step up to the G3 largely because of its
    size--at least the A80 fits neatly into a coat pocket.

    Finally, I'd like to know if anyone has had experience--good or
    bad--ordering a camera through Amazon.com. I know they probably serve as a
    channel for other companies, but they do appear to offer good deals at
    times.

    Thanks in advance for your responses.

    Michael
    Michael Koch, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Michael Koch

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Michael Koch wrote:

    > Calling on Canon A80 users.
    >
    > I've read the review of the camera on www.dcresource.com. The reviewer
    > points out dissatisfaction with chromatic aberrations/purple fringing. Those
    > of you who've used this camera, how bad is it really? Anything else I should
    > be aware of that is reason for concern (apart from what dcresource points
    > out)?

    I don't own one, but.. A picture is worth a thousand words.

    Go to the link below to see actual photos taken by A80 owners. Click on the
    photo itself to see a larger version.. Click on full sized to get it as big
    as you can. Check areas like tree branches with the sky showing through..

    Every time you click your browser's refresh button you'll get a whole new batch
    to look at.

    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_a80
    Jim Townsend, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Michael Koch

    Doc Guest

    "Michael Koch" <> wrote in message

    > I don't care too much for the S50 and S45,
    > because of the flimsy lens cover. I looked at the camera in several

    stores,
    > and everywhere I looked at it the lens cover had shown serious signs of

    wear
    > and tear.

    > Michael

    I'd be cautious drawing any conclusions about how sturdy the S50's lens
    cover is from how it stands up to the ham handed abuse it gets tethered to
    the display rack in the WallyWorld camera department.

    If that's what you do to your cameras, stay away from the S50. It's a
    precision piece of machinery- treat it like one and it will last you a long
    time. Beat the snot out of it and it will fall apart. But then that's
    probably true for any serious camera.

    Doc
    Doc, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Doc wrote:

    > "Michael Koch" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > I don't care too much for the S50 and S45,
    > > because of the flimsy lens cover. I looked at the camera in several

    > stores,
    > > and everywhere I looked at it the lens cover had shown serious signs of

    > wear
    > > and tear.

    > > Michael

    > I'd be cautious drawing any conclusions about how sturdy the S50's lens
    > cover is from how it stands up to the ham handed abuse it gets tethered to
    > the display rack in the WallyWorld camera department.
    >
    > If that's what you do to your cameras, stay away from the S50. It's a
    > precision piece of machinery- treat it like one and it will last you a long
    > time. Beat the snot out of it and it will fall apart. But then that's
    > probably true for any serious camera.
    >
    > Doc

    I must second Doc's comments about the way the clueless, unwashed masses handle
    cameras in a display rack.
    I saw some fool trying toPRY open the sliding lens cover of an S45. I gasped
    at how anyone could be so mechanically disadvantaged. I've have had the S45 for
    over a year and carry it unprotected in my shirt pocket whenever I go out
    shooting.
    The cover is still rock solid and the S45 is a real gem.
    Bob Williams
    Robert E. Williams, Dec 15, 2003
  5. Michael Koch

    Michael Koch Guest

    On 12/14/03 4:39 PM, in article
    Go7Db.21$, "Doc"
    <> wrote:

    > I'd be cautious drawing any conclusions about how sturdy the S50's lens
    > cover is from how it stands up to the ham handed abuse it gets tethered to
    > the display rack in the WallyWorld camera department.
    >
    > If that's what you do to your cameras, stay away from the S50. It's a
    > precision piece of machinery- treat it like one and it will last you a long
    > time. Beat the snot out of it and it will fall apart. But then that's
    > probably true for any serious camera.
    >
    > Doc

    Thanks, Doc. Guess I was too easily impressed by what I saw. I checked out
    the review of the S50 on dcresource and it looks like it's actually quite
    good, better, it seems than the A80 in photo quality. Got some thinking to
    do now... :)

    Michael
    Michael Koch, Dec 16, 2003
  6. Michael Koch

    Casey J. Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:55:20 GMT, Michael Koch <>
    wrote:

    >Calling on Canon A80 users.
    >
    >I've read the review of the camera on www.dcresource.com. The reviewer
    >points out dissatisfaction with chromatic aberrations/purple fringing. Those
    >of you who've used this camera, how bad is it really? Anything else I should
    >be aware of that is reason for concern (apart from what dcresource points
    >out)?
    >
    >Basically, I'm looking for a compact digital camera, preferably 4 MP, with
    >decent features that takes great pictures. I've also looked at the Canon
    >S400, but I'm concerned that the lack of manual controls might spoil some of
    >the fun in the long run for me. I don't care too much for the S50 and S45,
    >because of the flimsy lens cover. I looked at the camera in several stores,
    >and everywhere I looked at it the lens cover had shown serious signs of wear
    >and tear. I'm somewhat hesitant to step up to the G3 largely because of its
    >size--at least the A80 fits neatly into a coat pocket.
    >
    >Finally, I'd like to know if anyone has had experience--good or
    >bad--ordering a camera through Amazon.com. I know they probably serve as a
    >channel for other companies, but they do appear to offer good deals at
    >times.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for your responses.
    >
    >Michael

    Okay, I actually own an A80, so here's an opinionated reply based on
    hands-on use:

    I haven't found an example of noticeable purple fringing yet, but I've
    had the camera for only a month and used it mostly indoors so far, so
    maybe it may show up in future outdoor pics. I personally do not
    think this is a major concern, and it's outweighed by the overall
    excellence of the camera.

    I'm very pleased with the images I've taken, both indoors and
    outdoors. In basic point-and-shoot mode, the images come out crisp
    and true colored.

    The display is a bit small (1.5"), so that may be one thing that may
    sway you to the 1.8" screen on the S45/50. However, I love the swivel
    out feature of the display on the A80 - much more useful than you
    would think!

    So, although I may sound like the typical "my camera is a great
    camera" owner, I really think this is a very good choice.

    I bought mine from an online retailer (with good ratings) for under
    $350 total, and had no problems in that regard. I wou;d suggest that
    you consider this route unless eBay offers a significantly lower
    price. (The price may have crept up a bit among the reputable
    retailers since the time I bought it - apparently high demand is
    tightening the supply).

    Hope this helped.

    Casey
    Casey J., Dec 16, 2003
  7. On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:55:20 GMT, Michael Koch <> wrote:

    >I've read the review of the camera on www.dcresource.com. The reviewer
    >points out dissatisfaction with chromatic aberrations/purple fringing. Those
    >of you who've used this camera, how bad is it really? Anything else I should
    >be aware of that is reason for concern (apart from what dcresource points
    >out)?

    I have not noticed it on any of the pictures that I have taken, but then again,
    I have not looked at them with a lens to find out. To the naked eye, the
    pictures look great. I am happy with the camera.

    -----
    Kerry Sanders
    http://photos.pshack.com/
    Kerry Sanders, Dec 19, 2003
  8. " AT" <> writes:
    >i am trying a second a80, and i will return it tomorrow just because
    >the blue fringing.

    >it is all around the tablecloth on a photo i shot at a restaurant.

    >really weird. and a real shame . otherwise a very good camera.

    >is there anyother camera in that price range$348 at bestbuy, that will
    >not have this problem and still give as good results otherwise?

    Take a look at dpreview.com. One of the standard tests they do is
    of a very high-contrast white rectangle on a black background, designed
    to show just this effect. I don't think they have an A80 review to
    compare against, but you can look at the A70 plus some of the other
    cameras you may be considering.

    However, it seems that all zoom-lens P&S digicams do this to some
    extent. You may not find a camera that is better.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Michael Koch

    AT Guest

    AT, Dec 20, 2003
  10. Michael Koch

    AT Guest

    hi dave: i also had the 70, and thought that it was better in this
    respect.
    i mean, the blue band is big.

    thanks for the answer
    regards
    AT

    AT, Dec 20, 2003
  11. " AT" <> writes:
    >hi dave: i also had the 70, and thought that it was better in this
    >respect.
    >i mean, the blue band is big.

    I don't have a 70 to compare against. But the only time I've noticed
    the blue halo effect is when part of the image was grossly overexposed.
    For example, I have one image that was shot indoors by available light,
    so the exposure was relatively long (maybe 1/10 second). There is a
    skylight in the roof and the sky was visible in the shot through the
    skylight, but of course several stops overexposed. This bright skylight
    spreads beyond its true boundaries noticeably.

    But for ordinary shots without overexposed areas, I seldom notice the
    effect.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Dec 20, 2003
  12. Dave Martindale wrote:

    >" AT" <> writes:
    >
    >>hi dave: i also had the 70, and thought that it was better in this
    >>respect.
    >>i mean, the blue band is big.
    >>

    >I don't have a 70 to compare against. But the only time I've noticed
    >the blue halo effect is when part of the image was grossly overexposed.
    >For example, I have one image that was shot indoors by available light,
    >so the exposure was relatively long (maybe 1/10 second). There is a
    >skylight in the roof and the sky was visible in the shot through the
    >skylight, but of course several stops overexposed. This bright skylight
    >spreads beyond its true boundaries noticeably.
    >
    >But for ordinary shots without overexposed areas, I seldom notice the
    >effect.
    >
    > Dave

    Sample images from reviews discussing this problem seem to involve
    buildings, trees etc. backlit by an ordinary sky. Not as extreme as
    your example, but of the same ilk, though definitely in the "ordinary"
    class of things you're likely to run into on a holiday stroll.
    Anthony Buckland, Dec 20, 2003
  13. Michael Koch

    AT Guest

    i guess you are right. i love the camera and the lens is superb.
    frankly i think that it renders better thatn the one on the g3 that i
    just returned. it just bothers me that the blue appears when you
    least expect it.

    i do not want to go back to the g3 because it is a bit bigger, and
    because of the battery. i like the way the 2as behave. and i have
    eight of those and the charger.

    well; i still have a couple days to return it.
    i really like it otherwise.

    merry xmas
    @

    AT, Dec 20, 2003
  14. >i am trying a second a80, and i will return it tomorrow just because
    >the blue fringing.
    >
    >it is all around the tablecloth on a photo i shot at a restaurant.
    >
    >really weird. and a real shame . otherwise a very good camera.

    I looked at a couple of shots a little more closely after replying to the
    thread. I noticed a little purple fringing around abrupt changes from dark to
    light items, but nothing to really cause me to take the camera back.

    For what I am doing with the camera, the A80 is a great point and shoot camera.
    When I get better at my photo hobby, I want to get a more expensive outfit like
    the Canon DSLR.

    -----
    Kerry Sanders
    http://photos.pshack.com/
    Kerry Sanders, Dec 22, 2003
  15. Michael Koch

    AT Guest

    further experiment with it showed some doughnuts around small light
    sources. like mirror teles. weird.

    now i am back to searching.

    regards
    @