Canon A80/G5/Kodak DX6490 and filter question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Phil C, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. Phil C

    Phil C Guest

    Hi all,

    I think I am getting nearer to a decision on the above cameras now but
    somebody has thrown a new question into my decision process.

    As there is currently no way to put a filter on the 6490 I wondered if
    it is possible to create the same effect as a polarising filter with
    post-processing?

    If it cannot be done well or as effectively then I think I need to
    look at a camera that can take filters. The reason is that I am going
    to Thailand in April and no doubt will be taking many shots of, or
    over water. And whilst I havent used a polarising filter (or any
    filter) before because I am new to wanting to take photos with more
    than a point-and-shoot camera.

    I want to ensure I buy the camera that will get the best results from
    holiday - the G5 is a little more expensive than the A80 or 6490 and
    doesn't have the same zoom as the 6490.

    Sorry to sound so random and lost but I am having trouble with this
    one!

    Thanks for your help,

    Phil.
    Phil C, Feb 9, 2004

  2. "Phil C" <> wrote in message

    > I want to ensure I buy the camera that will get the best results from
    > holiday - the G5 is a little more expensive than the A80 or 6490 and
    > doesn't have the same zoom as the 6490.

    Forget about the longer zoom. Get one that can take filters.
    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 9, 2004

  3. Phil C

    SD Guest

    Steven M. Scharf wrote:

    > "Phil C" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>I want to ensure I buy the camera that will get the best results from
    >>holiday - the G5 is a little more expensive than the A80 or 6490 and
    >>doesn't have the same zoom as the 6490.

    > Forget about the longer zoom. Get one that can take filters.

    or get a long zoom that can take filters...
    SD, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Phil C

    Paige Miller Guest

    On Stardate 2/9/2004 11:11 AM, the following keys were mysteriously
    typed at SD's keyboard...

    > Steven M. Scharf wrote:
    >
    >> "Phil C" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> I want to ensure I buy the camera that will get the best results from
    >>> holiday - the G5 is a little more expensive than the A80 or 6490 and
    >>> doesn't have the same zoom as the 6490.

    >> Forget about the longer zoom. Get one that can take filters.
    >>

    > or get a long zoom that can take filters...

    The Kodak DX6490 lens barrel is threaded ... in other words, it can take
    filters and other attachments ... however, as far as I know there are no
    such filters or other attachments available on the market. (Sigh, maybe
    in the future there will be)

    --
    Paige Miller
    pmiller5 at rochester dot rr dot com

    It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
    If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
    I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack
    Paige Miller, Feb 9, 2004
  5. Phil C

    SD Guest

    Paige Miller wrote:

    > On Stardate 2/9/2004 11:11 AM, the following keys were mysteriously
    > typed at SD's keyboard...
    >
    >> Steven M. Scharf wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Phil C" <> wrote in message

    >>> Forget about the longer zoom. Get one that can take filters.
    >>>

    >> or get a long zoom that can take filters...
    >>

    > The Kodak DX6490 lens barrel is threaded ... in other words, it can take
    > filters and other attachments ... however, as far as I know there are no
    > such filters or other attachments available on the market. (Sigh, maybe
    > in the future there will be)

    well there are other long zooms that can, e.g. toshiba pdr m700 (canon
    lens), minolta dimage z1, panasonic lumix dmc fz10, olympus c7xx
    I know the OP posted only 3 cameras in his list but each one was in a
    different category..
    SD, Feb 10, 2004
  6. Phil C wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I think I am getting nearer to a decision on the above cameras now but
    > somebody has thrown a new question into my decision process.
    >
    > As there is currently no way to put a filter on the 6490 I wondered if
    > it is possible to create the same effect as a polarising filter with
    > post-processing?
    >
    > If it cannot be done well or as effectively then I think I need to
    > look at a camera that can take filters. The reason is that I am going
    > to Thailand in April and no doubt will be taking many shots of, or
    > over water. And whilst I havent used a polarising filter (or any
    > filter) before because I am new to wanting to take photos with more
    > than a point-and-shoot camera.
    >
    > I want to ensure I buy the camera that will get the best results from
    > holiday - the G5 is a little more expensive than the A80 or 6490 and
    > doesn't have the same zoom as the 6490.
    >
    > Sorry to sound so random and lost but I am having trouble with this
    > one!
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    >
    > Phil.

    I believe you can get an adapter that attaches to the tripod mount and allows
    you to sit a filter in front of the lense. I'm afraid I don't remember where I
    saw it, but I'm sure the URL was posted in this newsgroup at some point, so try
    groups.google.com.

    Ben Thomas
    Melbourne, Australia
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Feb 11, 2004