Canon A80 - Buy now or wait for new models?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob Hayden, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. Bob Hayden

    Bob Hayden Guest

    Now that I have upgraded my 35mm camera, video camera and printer (all
    Canon) I am getting the itch to upgrade my trusty Oly D-490 and have been
    looking at the Canon A80. It is nearly exactly what I am looking for and the
    Canon compatiblity would be nice, as will the AA battery usage. However,
    better low light would be nice, a hot shoe for external flash would be nice,
    and of course, the biggest "gripe" about the A80, the LCD screen could be
    bigger. On the other hand, a $50 rebate is mine if I buy by the end of the
    month to go along with my i960 printer.

    Canon has stated that they hope to intro about 20 (!) new digital cameras
    this year. In general, they will be smaller, faster, lighter, cheaper...of
    course I don't know any specifics.

    So, is now a good time to go with the A80 or is it worth holding off a few
    months to see what comes out? I know it's an age-old question, but heck,
    it's MY question now!

    Bob
    Bob Hayden, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Bob Hayden

    HRosita Guest

    >Bob Hayden"

    >So, is now a good time to go with the A80 or is it worth holding off a few
    >months to see what comes out?

    Hi,

    The Cunsumer Electronic Show starts this week and PMA next month so you might
    be able to see if something better is comming out and if not, get the A80.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Bob Hayden

    Good Man Guest

    "Bob Hayden" <> wrote in

    > So, is now a good time to go with the A80 or is it worth holding off a
    > few months to see what comes out? I know it's an age-old question, but
    > heck, it's MY question now!

    keep in mind that whatever electronics you buy, next year's models are
    cheaper, more advanced, and immediately lower the resale price of what you
    just bought. so, using this logic, you can hold off a purchase forever, or
    you can just accept the facts and buy one today.

    the A80 is new and has much more manual control than any other camera in
    its price range. for hot-shoe flash stuff, you're really looking at a more
    'prosumer' camera (like the G series)... it just won't be available on a
    camera that costs $400US - you will need to step up to the next price
    bracket.

    regarding low light pictures, the A80-70-60's are fantastic, providing you
    set your ISO, aperture, and exposure time correctly. i've taken some
    incredible low-light shots with my A70.

    that being said, any models announced this week won't be available until
    late spring, and there is a chance that this week's announcements will
    lower the A80 cost immediately.

    the A80 is a winning camera, no doubts about it. this year's models won't
    change that fact.
    Good Man, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Bob Hayden

    Fred Guest

    Got one, happy with it, PC softwares suck (but I don't care).

    f dot jeanmougin at laposte dot net

    Fred, Jan 6, 2004
  5. Bob Hayden

    Freemale Guest

    I bought one for Xmas. Also have Oly 3030. The Canon is great.
    External flash can be set up easy by using Man, turning down the power of
    the inbuilt flash and using to set of slave units.
    Screen is the best I have used. The swival design encourages you to find and
    use new viwing angles. It is a great creative tool. As for buying or
    waiting. Well look at the discounts. it's very cheap so buy now. I have
    already taken 400 pctures with mine. If I had waited for a new model how
    many photos would I have taken. Ok on all digital cameras you are going to
    lose the equipment cash value, but you gain that with no prosesssing costs.

    Freemale, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Bob Hayden

    Paul L Guest

    my bro isn't happy with red-eye or the smallish lcd w/his a80.

    Paul L, Jan 7, 2004
  7. Bob Hayden

    John & Cici Guest

    2 of my relatives just bought A80s. All 3 of us were shooting
    digitally this past Christmas. The screen is a little small but you
    can zoom so who cares.
    The thing I noticed was it doesn't suffer from the major red-eye
    problem of my Olympus 5050.
    The specs are good on the A80. Seemed to have minimal shutter lag.

    Dumb dumb news:

    Bro-in-law number one asked his wife to pack the 4 day old A80. It
    was dark and rainy...Drove from North Calif down to So Cal. Rcvd a
    call from daughter that she had found their camera in the street.
    Wifey had set it down while loading the minivan. It was rained on all
    day but still worked. She ah...turned it on immediately to check it.
    Doh!

    Should I suggest the daughter place it in the oven to dry it out?
    John & Cici, Jan 7, 2004
  8. (John & Cici) writes:

    >Should I suggest the daughter place it in the oven to dry it out?

    First, take out the batteries. Water and energized electrical circuits
    mean corrosion.

    Putting it in a *warm* oven, not too hot to hold your hand on the rack,
    and leaving it for many hours will help dry out moisture. However, you
    can never be sure that water didn't creep into a crack by capillary
    action, and it will take a very long time to evaporate from there.
    If it works, great, but it might fail premuaturely sometime in the
    future.

    You could have Canon take it apart, clean, and look for damage, but that
    would cost money. However, if they give it a clean bill of health, it
    should have a long life.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Jan 7, 2004
  9. Bob Hayden

    John & Cici Guest

    Thx, I had meant to be funny but your suggestions are well taken.
    John & Cici, Jan 8, 2004