    only get it to work on USB I could load the update...

    Any help would be appreciated, (other than "dude get a real PC/G5/OS etc")

    Ted M.

    Ted Michelini, Nov 27, 2004

  2. Ted Michelini

    stacks Guest

    Buy a card reader, $20 well spent.

    stacks, Nov 27, 2004

  3. Ted Michelini <> writes:

    >Having just purchased a Canon A75 for $160, I am very happy with the picture
    >quality, but on plugging it into my old G3 mac with an aftermarket USB card
    >I get a message "The software needed to install the device "Canon digital
    >camera" cannot be found..."

    >Granted its old OS 8.6, but every other USB device works fine, inluding my
    >Nikon Coolpix and any number of PC USB devices. Whats up? Has anyone got
    >their older mac to see the A75?

    Many digital cameras pretend to be a removable hard disk via their USB
    interface. These will work with any operating system that supports USB
    disks. Canon cameras do not. To talk to them, you have to install the
    Canon drivers. Or just use a CF card reader, which is faster and better
    anyway.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Nov 27, 2004
  4. Ted Michelini

    SgtRich Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:17:37 -0800, Ted Michelini <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Having just purchased a Canon A75 for $160, I am very happy with the picture
    >quality, but on plugging it into my old G3 mac with an aftermarket USB card
    >I get a message "The software needed to install the device "Canon digital
    >camera" cannot be found..."
    >
    >Granted its old OS 8.6, but every other USB device works fine, inluding my
    >Nikon Coolpix and any number of PC USB devices. Whats up? Has anyone got
    >their older mac to see the A75?
    >
    >There is a cryptic mention on the Canon WEB site that their camera requires
    >"Models with Apple genuine USB interface only" (?!) If it has a crippler on
    >the device to only run on Apple native USB, I and many other people will be
    >totally pissed. MAybe the A75 firmware upgrade fixes this, now if I could
    >only get it to work on USB I could load the update...

    Nope, no firmware upgrade is going to help.

    Per the Canon Software Starter Guide, page 9:

    Macintosh OS Requirements: Mac OS 9.0 - 9.2, Mac OS X (v. 10.1/v. 10.2)

    Obviously, OS 8.6 won't cut it.

    My advice: buy a card reader. I paid about $20 for mine and it works great.
    Even easier than connecting the camera to the computer.
    --
    <<<SgtRich>>>
    Chicago, Illinois, USA

    SgtRich, Nov 27, 2004
  5. Ted Michelini

    Chuck Reti Guest

    In article <co94mc$n2o$>,
    (Dave Martindale) wrote:

    > Ted Michelini <> writes:
    >
    > >Having just purchased a Canon A75 for $160, I am very happy with the picture
    > >quality, but on plugging it into my old G3 mac with an aftermarket USB card
    > >I get a message "The software needed to install the device "Canon digital
    > >camera" cannot be found..."

    > >Granted its old OS 8.6, but every other USB device works fine, inluding my
    > >Nikon Coolpix and any number of PC USB devices. Whats up? Has anyone got
    > >their older mac to see the A75?

    > Many digital cameras pretend to be a removable hard disk via their USB
    > interface. These will work with any operating system that supports USB
    > disks. Canon cameras do not. To talk to them, you have to install the
    > Canon drivers. Or just use a CF card reader, which is faster and better
    > anyway.
    >
    > Dave

    A couple of years ago from Canon site I downloaded "Canon Digital Camera
    USB Mounter v1.1" which does mount the camera/card on the desktop as a
    disk (OS 9.x and up). Found it pretty much useless and no faster than
    Canon's Image Browser (which IIRC could not be used if you were using
    USB Mounter). As said by others, a Card Reader is the easiest and best.
    --
    Chuck Reti
    Detroit MI

    Chuck Reti, Nov 27, 2004
  6. Dave Martindale wrote:

    > Many digital cameras pretend to be a removable hard disk via their USB
    > interface. These will work with any operating system that supports USB
    > disks. Canon cameras do not. To talk to them, you have to install the
    > Canon drivers. Or just use a CF card reader, which is faster and better
    > anyway.

    CF card readers are more versatile and faster, but not always better!

    IAE, the above is not true for Mac osX, at least the Jaguar and Panther
    versions.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 28, 2004