  1. Harvey

    Harvey Guest

    Which is best for a newbie, Canon A70 or Nikon Coolpix 3100?
    Harvey, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Harvey

    R2D2 Guest

    "Harvey" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Which is best for a newbie, Canon A70 or Nikon Coolpix 3100?

    This question has been asked here hundreds of times. In short, the A70 has
    more manual options and the 3100 is just a point and shoot. Also, the 3100
    does not have a focus assist lamp (important for indoor pics). See a
    comparison here:

    http://dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp3100/page12.asp
    R2D2, Dec 13, 2003

  3. Harvey

    Ronin 1 Guest

    On 13 Dec 2003 05:24:01 GMT, R2D2 <> wrote:

    >"Harvey" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Which is best for a newbie, Canon A70 or Nikon Coolpix 3100?
    >>

    >This question has been asked here hundreds of times. In short, the A70 has
    >more manual options and the 3100 is just a point and shoot. Also, the 3100
    >does not have a focus assist lamp (important for indoor pics). See a
    >comparison here:
    >
    >http://dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp3100/page12.asp

    Yeah, but a certain "R. C." of Sacramento will tell you that the 3100
    is the better camera no matter what convincing evidence you produce...

    And then he'll recommend that you look into the new Minolta something
    that's 4 Megapixels and just a little more but not a bad choice.
    Ronin 1, Dec 13, 2003
  4. Harvey

    Isteal Guest

    And let's not forget 'Steve' who loves to tell about his bad experience with
    Canon & his A40
    Isteal, Dec 13, 2003
  5. "Harvey" <> wrote in message
    > Which is best for a newbie, Canon A70 or Nikon Coolpix 3100?

    If you're a person mostly interested in just "point and shoot" pictures, the
    CoolPix 3100 is probably a better choice than the PowerShot A70. Reports of
    subpar build quality and focusing problems with the A70 mentioned on this
    newsgroup kind of make me wary of the Canon camera.

    Note that if you're interested in small size, the Canon PowerShot S230
    (Compact Flash memory card format) and the Canon PowerShot SD100 (SD memory
    card format) are good choices, too.

    The best place to do a decent comparison between various models would be
    www.dpreview.com and www.steves-digicams.com.

    --
    Raymond Chuang
    Sacramento, CA USA