    been satisfied with the sharpness and a certain mottling in the skin
    tones.

    Ray

    Ray Clayton, Jul 20, 2003

  2. The A70 is a definate improvement over the A40 in terms of photo quality
    overall, and it offers the new 640x480 movie clip mode, too. The Nikon
    takes good images, but to me it was too small to get a really good grip on.

    Greg

    DigitalCameraBasics, Jul 20, 2003

  3. Ray Clayton

    Dave Weller Guest

    A70 all the way !

    Dave Weller, Jul 20, 2003
  4. Ray Clayton

    Gerapa Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 01:56:13 GMT, Ray Clayton
    <> wrote:

    >Trying to decide between these two cameras. Has anyone had any personal
    >experience with both these models? I own the Canon A40, but have never
    >been satisfied with the sharpness and a certain mottling in the skin
    >tones.

    Hello Ray,

    Don't know about the Nikon, but i have been very impressed by the
    natural of the colors and appearance of skins with the A70. It's for
    me one of its qualities.

    Gerapa.

    --
    Enlever "pasde" pour me répondre.
    Remove "pasde" to reply.

    Gerapa, Jul 20, 2003
  5. Ray Clayton

    BTTeiro Guest

    I had the same trouble to decide...

    A70 has some good features:

    4 AA batery
    Sound
    switchable lens

    I read lots of posts and reviews and found lots of technical problems...

    I decided for the coolpix 3100 4 weeks ago and im very happy with it:

    Excelent pics
    great macro
    compact but good grip
    excelent software

    www.dpreviews.com see owner opinions

    BTTeiro, Jul 21, 2003
  6. Ray Clayton

    Steve Guest

    Ray Clayton wrote:
    > Trying to decide between these two cameras. Has anyone had any
    > personal experience with both these models? I own the Canon A40, but
    > have never been satisfied with the sharpness and a certain mottling
    > in the skin tones.
    >
    > Ray

    Ray:

    I replaced a defective Canon with a Nikon CP3100. The Canon had a bad CCD
    and a misaligned viewfinder. If you read various user forums, you will see
    that there have been LOTS of defective A70's reported with bad CCD's,
    misaligned viewfinders, LCD scratches and lines, lens mechanical problems,
    and power supply problems just to mention a FEW.

    Not to mention the Canon A series soft image problem, where you have to use
    unsharp masking in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or similar software in order to
    recover detail that is lost. You are already aware of this problem with the
    A40, so why make the same mistake again.

    I am real pleased with my CP3100. It may not have all of the features of
    the A70, but then it has NONE of the problems. The CP3100 also as a far
    superior macro capability than the Canon.

    Good luck,

    Steve

    Steve, Jul 21, 2003
  7. Ray Clayton

    Alan Brennan Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:28:05 GMT
    Steve ( )
    Wrote

    > Ray Clayton wrote:
    > > Trying to decide between these two cameras. Has anyone had any
    > > personal experience with both these models? I own the Canon A40, but
    > > have never been satisfied with the sharpness and a certain mottling
    > > in the skin tones.
    > >
    > > Ray

    > Ray:
    >
    > I replaced a defective Canon with a Nikon CP3100. The Canon had a bad CCD
    > and a misaligned viewfinder. If you read various user forums, you will see
    > that there have been LOTS of defective A70's reported with bad CCD's,
    > misaligned viewfinders, LCD scratches and lines, lens mechanical problems,
    > and power supply problems just to mention a FEW.

    The A-70 doesn't have a power supply so how can it have power supply
    problems? I recognise that you got a lemon, but I have had none of these
    problems. A check of reviews at places like epinions.com shows that they
    are not widespread.

    > Not to mention the Canon A series soft image problem, where you have to use
    > unsharp masking in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or similar software in order to
    > recover detail that is lost. You are already aware of this problem with the
    > A40, so why make the same mistake again.

    There is more to image quality than sharpness. The Canon has excellent
    exposure and colours are very natural. There is little problem with
    noise. Contrast is great. The softness problem is not all it is made out
    to be anyway, as a glance at
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A70/A70A.HTM
    will show you.

    You might like to look at
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP3100/CP31A.HTM
    to compare the Nikon.

    > I am real pleased with my CP3100. It may not have all of the features of
    > the A70, but then it has NONE of the problems. The CP3100 also as a far
    > superior macro capability than the Canon.

    I am very pleased with the A-70. It has none of the problems encountered
    by Steve, and a great range of features.

    Alan Brennan, Jul 21, 2003
  8. Ray Clayton

    Zol. Guest

    "Alan Brennan" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:28:05 GMT
    > Steve ( )
    > Wrote
    >
    > > Ray Clayton wrote:
    > > > Trying to decide between these two cameras. Has anyone had any
    > > > personal experience with both these models? I own the Canon A40, but
    > > > have never been satisfied with the sharpness and a certain mottling
    > > > in the skin tones.
    > > >
    > > > Ray

    > > Ray:
    > >
    > > I replaced a defective Canon with a Nikon CP3100. The Canon had a bad

    CCD
    > > and a misaligned viewfinder. If you read various user forums, you will

    see
    > > that there have been LOTS of defective A70's reported with bad CCD's,
    > > misaligned viewfinders, LCD scratches and lines, lens mechanical

    problems,
    > > and power supply problems just to mention a FEW.

    > The A-70 doesn't have a power supply so how can it have power supply
    > problems? I recognise that you got a lemon, but I have had none of these
    > problems. A check of reviews at places like epinions.com shows that they
    > are not widespread.
    > >
    > > Not to mention the Canon A series soft image problem, where you have to

    use
    > > unsharp masking in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or similar software in

    order to
    > > recover detail that is lost. You are already aware of this problem with

    the
    > > A40, so why make the same mistake again.

    > There is more to image quality than sharpness. The Canon has excellent
    > exposure and colours are very natural. There is little problem with
    > noise. Contrast is great. The softness problem is not all it is made out
    > to be anyway, as a glance at
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A70/A70A.HTM
    > will show you.
    >
    > You might like to look at
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP3100/CP31A.HTM
    > to compare the Nikon.
    > >
    > > I am real pleased with my CP3100. It may not have all of the features

    of
    > > the A70, but then it has NONE of the problems. The CP3100 also as a far
    > > superior macro capability than the Canon.

    > I am very pleased with the A-70. It has none of the problems encountered
    > by Steve, and a great range of features.

    I quite agree with the comments on the Canon - it has produced some very
    good pictures but does need to be held extreamly still for the best
    results - If there was so many problems with this model surely we would hear
    a lot more from different users on this group?

    Zol.

    Zol., Jul 21, 2003
  9. Ray Clayton

    Ray Clayton Guest

    Made my decision today! And I chose the A70. The 3100 is a little sharper,
    but the handling and ergonomics REALLY suck. I shoot street/documentary
    stuff so I need to be able to react quickly.

    And since I spend half my life in Photoshop-world…

    Anyway that's my story and I'm stickin' with it.

    Ray

    Ray Clayton, Jul 24, 2003