Canon a70 telephoto lens question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by CJEBS, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. CJEBS

    CJEBS Guest

    I'm thinking about buying a telephoto lense for my Canon a70. I stopped
    into a camera shop to see if they carried them in stock and the salesperson
    told me not to bother. He said that if I should use a film camera if I
    don't like the maximum opticle zoom on my digital. Well, I won't argue that
    film cameras might be better for the seasoned photographer who knows how to
    maximize performance of his equipment, but I'm just a family pix,vacation
    pix, and kid sports newbie. I found his "help" to be less than helpful.
    Frankly, after using a less than 1 megapixel camera for 5 years, I'm
    ecstatic with the improvement 3.2 mp makes in output.

    Question: Should I bother with the telephoto lens?

    I want to take decent pictures of my 5 year old son as he learns to play
    roller hockey, t-ball, and soccer. I also want to take decent vacation
    photos when we go camping or site seeing.

    Question 2: I've seen telephoto lenses on e-bay that are 2.5x and 3x. Has
    anybody had any experience with particular brands on the A70, good or bad?

    Question 3: Do I need the wideangle lens too? Instead?

    CJEBS, Feb 27, 2004

  2. CJEBS

    Irwell Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:42:51 -0500, "CJEBS" <> wrote:

    >I'm thinking about buying a telephoto lense for my Canon a70. I stopped
    >into a camera shop to see if they carried them in stock and the salesperson
    >told me not to bother. He said that if I should use a film camera if I
    >don't like the maximum opticle zoom on my digital. Well, I won't argue that
    >film cameras might be better for the seasoned photographer who knows how to
    >maximize performance of his equipment, but I'm just a family pix,vacation
    >pix, and kid sports newbie. I found his "help" to be less than helpful.
    >Frankly, after using a less than 1 megapixel camera for 5 years, I'm
    >ecstatic with the improvement 3.2 mp makes in output.
    >
    >Question: Should I bother with the telephoto lens?
    >
    >I want to take decent pictures of my 5 year old son as he learns to play
    >roller hockey, t-ball, and soccer. I also want to take decent vacation
    >photos when we go camping or site seeing.
    >
    >Question 2: I've seen telephoto lenses on e-bay that are 2.5x and 3x. Has
    >anybody had any experience with particular brands on the A70, good or bad?
    >
    >Question 3: Do I need the wideangle lens too? Instead?

    Go to www.lensesmateonline.com they have a list and good
    information on adapters and add on lenses for the Cannon A series.
    They show pictures of what an addon can do.

    Irwell, Feb 27, 2004

  3. CJEBS

    CJEBS Guest

    I tried the address you sent me, but couldn't find the site. Tried a
    variation www.lensmateonline.com and found the site. Thanks.

    CJEBS, Feb 27, 2004
  4. On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:42:51 -0500, CJEBS wrote:

    > Question: Should I bother with the telephoto lens?
    >
    > I want to take decent pictures of my 5 year old son as he learns to play
    > roller hockey, t-ball, and soccer. I also want to take decent vacation
    > photos when we go camping or site seeing.
    >
    > Question 2: I've seen telephoto lenses on e-bay that are 2.5x and 3x. Has
    > anybody had any experience with particular brands on the A70, good or bad?
    >
    > Question 3: Do I need the wideangle lens too? Instead?

    My only advice is if your going to buy a telephoto for the A70 is to get
    the Canon one. Its a quality lens while most others including the ones on
    Ebay tend not to be very good and lead to soft edges. This site has a least
    a few examples so you can see how much a 2x magnifies.
    http://www.ckcpower.com/lenscompare.htm
    btw if your looking for a site to hang out with other Canon Powershot
    owners you can go here. http://forums.powershot-a.com/index.php? Its a nice
    bunch of people and much more enjoyable than most other sites who just
    happen to Canon forum among a dozen others.

    Regards

    Mike

    Michael Burns, Feb 27, 2004
  5. CJEBS

    Brian Guest

    Hey C,

    My experience with a Canon 2.5X telephoto lens on my A40 is:

    Good quality photos. It does really help you reach out and grab those
    distant shots. BUT!

    the lens blocks at least the bottom 1/3rd of the viewfinder, making framing
    photos (especially action shots) difficult. Also, the lensfinder is not
    magnified like the lens is, further adding to the difficulty. To accuratly
    frame shot you will have to use the LCD, but direct sunlight makes that very
    tough sometimes.

    So, your picture quality will be very good. Getting action shots will be
    difficult. Still photos will be easy, because you can take your time to
    frame the photo, and/or shade the LCD.

    Oh yea, you have to be about 75% zoomed in while using the lens, or the lens
    housing is visable in the frame. In other words, you can't go under about
    5x with the tele-lens installed.

    Here are some pics I took with the Canon tele lens. Not great, but not bad
    either. I missed a lot due to poor framing.

    Here are some pics with and without the tele-lens. First two are without,
    the rest are with.
    http://www.pbase.com/brianmoore/surfing

    Hope this helps, B.

    Brian, Feb 28, 2004