Canon A70 settings for "family snaps" on 7x5 prints

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I have just bought a Canon A70 and I was wondering what
    resolution/quality settings other people are using for eventual
    printing in 7x5 photographs.

    The sort of photographs I’ll be taking the most of are general
    family snaps etc., and it is a setting for this type of photograph
    that I am interested in. I’m quite happy to photograph in the
    highest quality mode for photographs that I am more particular about.

    I intend to take some sample photos using various combinations of

    (L)arge - 2048x1536
    (M1)edium – 1600x1200
    (M2)edium – 1024x768
    (S)mall – 640x480

    for the available quality settings of

    Superfine
    Fine
    Normal

    And then have them “developed” to 7x5 photographs so that
    I can choose an “optimal” setting (ie. don’t want to
    have to be storing files sizes that are larger than necessary on my
    computer “photo album” as I will be accumulating lots of
    family snaps over the years).

    So, if any other A70 owners would like to share their chosen settings
    for general, large volume family snap type photos that come out well
    on 7x5 prints, then I would interested to hear from you.

    Regards,

    Paul.

    Paul, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Paul

    FOR7b Guest

    >I have just bought a Canon A70 and I was wondering what
    >resolution/quality settings other people are using for eventual
    >printing in 7x5 photographs.
    >
    >The sort of photographs Ill be taking the most of are general
    >family snaps etc., and it is a setting for this type of photograph
    >that I am interested in. Im quite happy to photograph in the
    >highest quality mode for photographs that I am more particular about.
    >
    >I intend to take some sample photos using various combinations of
    >
    >(L)arge - 2048x1536
    >(M1)edium  1600x1200
    >(M2)edium  1024x768
    >(S)mall  640x480
    >
    >for the available quality settings of
    >
    >Superfine
    >Fine
    >Normal
    >
    >And then have them developed to 7x5 photographs so that
    >I can choose an optimal setting (ie. dont want to
    >have to be storing files sizes that are larger than necessary on my
    >computer photo album as I will be accumulating lots of
    >family snaps over the years).
    >
    >So, if any other A70 owners would like to share their chosen settings
    >for general, large volume family snap type photos that come out well
    >on 7x5 prints, then I would interested to hear from you.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Paul.

    Paul use the highest settings Superfine and large. Why not take advantage of
    the higher quality you can get with the particular camera you have?

    FOR7b, Sep 11, 2003

  3. I second that. CF memory is very inexpensive. Just got a Simple Tech 256
    CF for 35.99 after rebate from buy.com Shoot at the highest settings your
    camera can take. Always treat the un-edited images out of your camera as
    negatives. You can store them on a large HD and back them up on CD-R. You
    will really appreciate the difference more when you print htan when you view
    on the screen.

    Bought a Smart Mod Technologies 256MB at Buy.com for 44.05 after rebate last
    month.

    --

    regards,
    Michael Abbaticchio

    Michael A. Abbaticchio, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Paul

    crw Guest

    I agree with the previous poster. If you have the memory available on
    the camera, shoot at the highest possible reolution. You never know
    when you may need to make up a print at a bigger size or when one of
    your scoops maight be wanted by a newspaper. You can always make
    smaller copies on your computer afterwards, but you can never put back
    something that wasn't there in the first place.

    crw, Sep 12, 2003
  5. Paul

    Alan Brennan Guest

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 01:08:49 +1000,
    Graham ( ) wrote

    > Paul wrote:
    > > I have just bought a Canon A70 and I was wondering what
    > > resolution/quality settings other people are using for eventual
    > > printing in 7x5 photographs.

    > > I intend to take some sample photos using various combinations of
    > > (L)arge - 2048x1536
    > > (M1)edium – 1600x1200
    > > (M2)edium – 1024x768
    > > (S)mall – 640x480
    > > for the available quality settings of
    > > Superfine
    > > Fine
    > > Normal

    > > And then have them “developed” ...

    > (what is all that junk in your text???)
    >
    > > ...to 7x5 photographs so that I can choose an optimal setting (ie.
    > > don't want to have to be storing files sizes that are larger than
    > > necessary on my computer photo album as I will be accumulating lots
    > > of family snaps over the years).

    > > So, if any other A70 owners would like to share their chosen
    > > settings for general, large volume family snap type photos that
    > > come out well on 7x5 prints, then I would interested to hear from
    > > you.

    > I use only the highest resolution and quality in my A70. If I want to
    > use the resultant images to email or display on screen, I then adjust
    > them down to size to suit. For printing you may as well have all the
    > quality you've paid for by buying an A70 and not an A60 or a second hand
    > 1.3Mp camera. Storage really isn't that big an issue - surely you've got
    > a CD burner? They're only, what, US$30? and CDs are trivially cheap.
    >
    > The original 16Mb card which comes with the A70 is a wee bit limiting
    > but Au$90 (US$60) for a 256Mb CF card soon fixed that.

    I agree with all the above, but I prefer smaller cards in my A70. 64MB
    allows about 35 shots at highest resolution, and I like to carry about
    2-3 with me (I've never ever needed more than 2 in one session, but
    better safe than sorry) Using a larger card means a lot of hassles
    downloading and sorting through the shots once I'm back home. And 64MB
    cards are very very cheap.

    Alan Brennan, Sep 12, 2003