Canon A70 questions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan, Apr 13, 2004.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Looking for comments on the Canon A70

    1/ I find that the viewfinder is not at all representative of what
    is on the LCD, in particular related to the height of the image.
    This means that I have to pull my head away from the viewfinder
    to look at the LCD to see what I am really shooting -
    particularly frustrating on closeups - has
    anyone else seen this, and is there a work around? They talk about
    it as being a parralax issue in the manual, but I've never
    experienced this with any other camera.

    2/ Can someone explain the finer points of the tradeoffs between
    image size L/M1/M2/S and compression superfine/fine/normal?
    For instance, with a 256M card, a L/Fine setting would provide
    about 276 pictures, and a M/Superfine would provide 246 pictures -
    which would be 'better' pictures?

    If you take smaller size pictures with lower compression, is there
    really any significant difference than larger pictures with higher
    compression?

    3/ I find that night time pictures with flash are very drowned out -
    how much have others had to step down the flash?

    4/ The web site indicates the viewfinder will have set the picture focus in
    between
    [ ]
    However, in my camera, its more like

    - -

    Any one else seen this and does it matter?

    5/ What is the maximum flash card people have tested?
    The manual and their support indicate 256 is the maximum
    supported - has anyone used it consistently and successfully with
    512 or 1024M?

    Thanks

    Alan

    Alan, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Alan

    Gord Stephan Guest

    On point number 2, the only perceptable difference you will see will be
    noticeable when making an enlarged pint. Generally teh larger the file size
    and the less the compression, the higher the quality of print.

    I own an A70 and for the most part I am very happy with it. I have noticed
    that shots taken in VIVID effect have noticeably less contrast and therefore
    require more manipulation in photoshop than regular prints. Canon has no
    explanation for this.

    Gord

    Gord Stephan, Apr 13, 2004

  3. The A70 is not an SLR camera. The optical viewfinder is pretty much what to
    expect from cameras of this type. If you wish an accurate optical
    viewfinder, you will not be finding it with the A70. In a previous life, I
    owned a few range-finder film cameras. One did have an optical viewfinder
    that tried to adjust the view depending on the subject's distance. It worked
    somewhat, which is why I ended up with an SLR.

    When I am doing a macro shot, I always use the LCD because it's 100%
    accurate. For most everything else, I learned what the limitations of the
    optical viewfinder were and compensate. And when I need speed and accuracy,
    I reach for my Olympus E-10 SLR.

    Like the other fellow said, just stick with the default JPG compression,
    there's virtually no practical differences. All those options are mostly to
    say they have a lot of options.

    I thought the A70 had a menu setting for flash power level and the default
    is 50%.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Apr 13, 2004
  4. Alan

    MarkH Guest

    (Alan) wrote in

    > Looking for comments on the Canon A70
    >
    > 1/ I find that the viewfinder is not at all representative of what
    > is on the LCD, in particular related to the height of the image.
    > This means that I have to pull my head away from the viewfinder
    > to look at the LCD to see what I am really shooting -
    > particularly frustrating on closeups - has
    > anyone else seen this, and is there a work around? They talk about
    > it as being a parralax issue in the manual, but I've never
    > experienced this with any other camera.

    This is simple physics! You have a lens beside the viewfinder, at a
    distance the two show roughly the same scene, close up the viewfinder is
    noticeably to the left of the lens. Simple solution: Use the LCD to
    compose for very close work.

    Film cameras fall behind in this respect, they have the same problem with
    parallax, but no LCD screen to use. Also with film you may not realise
    that you missed the shot till after you get the film developed.

    Expensive solution: D-SLR or a digicam with electronic viewfinder.

    > 4/ The web site indicates the viewfinder will have set the picture
    > focus in between
    > [ ]
    > However, in my camera, its more like
    > |
    > - -

    Is this for close subjects? If so then this is still the parallax issue.

    > Any one else seen this and does it matter?
    >
    > 5/ What is the maximum flash card people have tested?
    > The manual and their support indicate 256 is the maximum
    > supported - has anyone used it consistently and successfully with
    > 512 or 1024M?

    The manual says it won’t work with cards bigger than 256MB? This sounds
    completely wrong! I can’t think of a good reason why it shouldn’t work
    with a 2GB card (Type I only). If anyone has any experience on using
    bigger cards, let us all know.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Alan

    Mark B. Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > Looking for comments on the Canon A70
    >
    > 1/ I find that the viewfinder is not at all representative of what
    > is on the LCD, in particular related to the height of the image.

    Of course not, the viewfinder doesn't give you a view through the lens like
    the LCD does. Look where the finder is.

    > This means that I have to pull my head away from the viewfinder
    > to look at the LCD to see what I am really shooting -
    > particularly frustrating on closeups - has
    > anyone else seen this, and is there a work around?

    Yes - use the LCD.

    They talk about
    > it as being a parralax issue in the manual, but I've never
    > experienced this with any other camera.
    >
    > 2/ Can someone explain the finer points of the tradeoffs between
    > image size L/M1/M2/S and compression superfine/fine/normal?
    > For instance, with a 256M card, a L/Fine setting would provide
    > about 276 pictures, and a M/Superfine would provide 246 pictures -
    > which would be 'better' pictures?

    Of the two, large/fine is better because the jpgs are less compressed.
    Large/superfine would be the least compressed and yield the highest quality
    picture.

    > If you take smaller size pictures with lower compression, is there
    > really any significant difference than larger pictures with higher
    > compression?

    Yes - you have more cropping room if you use larger pics to begin with.

    > 3/ I find that night time pictures with flash are very drowned out -
    > how much have others had to step down the flash?

    It's not really a great cam to do night pictures with. Read the manual, it
    tells you how the flash behaves in various modes.

    > 4/ The web site indicates the viewfinder will have set the picture focus

    in
    > between
    > [ ]
    > However, in my camera, its more like
    > |
    > - -
    > |

    > Any one else seen this and does it matter?

    Never seen it, I don't think it matters.

    > 5/ What is the maximum flash card people have tested?
    > The manual and their support indicate 256 is the maximum
    > supported - has anyone used it consistently and successfully with
    > 512 or 1024M?

    512 works fine, 1024 should also.

    Mark

    Mark B., Apr 13, 2004
  6. Alan

    Chris Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > Looking for comments on the Canon A70
    >
    > 1/ I find that the viewfinder is not at all representative of what
    > is on the LCD, in particular related to the height of the image.
    > This means that I have to pull my head away from the viewfinder
    > to look at the LCD to see what I am really shooting -
    > particularly frustrating on closeups - has
    > anyone else seen this, and is there a work around? They talk about
    > it as being a parralax issue in the manual, but I've never
    > experienced this with any other camera.

    The easiest work-around for this concern, is practice. Either compose your
    shot with the LCD, or keep the aim differential in your memory as you look
    through the VF, or both. It's not really a flaw, as it's mostly commonplace
    in all P&S cameras.

    > 2/ Can someone explain the finer points of the tradeoffs between
    > image size L/M1/M2/S and compression superfine/fine/normal?
    > For instance, with a 256M card, a L/Fine setting would provide
    > about 276 pictures, and a M/Superfine would provide 246 pictures -
    > which would be 'better' pictures?

    You shouldn't need our help determining which is "better". Take a shot in
    one, then the other, and compare them. If you don't see a difference, why
    should it matter?

    > If you take smaller size pictures with lower compression, is there
    > really any significant difference than larger pictures with higher
    > compression?

    Well, the more compression involved, the more chance of something adverse
    happening when you go to transfer them to accurate proportions. I try to
    avoid compression whenever possible.

    > 3/ I find that night time pictures with flash are very drowned out -
    > how much have others had to step down the flash?

    I haven't really noticed this on night shots, and with the excellent
    long-exposure shutter, you shouldn't have too much trouble even with no
    flash.

    > 4/ The web site indicates the viewfinder will have set the picture focus

    in
    > between
    > [ ]
    > However, in my camera, its more like
    > |
    > - -
    > |

    > Any one else seen this and does it matter?

    No comment on that. Haven't noticed.

    > 5/ What is the maximum flash card people have tested?
    > The manual and their support indicate 256 is the maximum
    > supported - has anyone used it consistently and successfully with
    > 512 or 1024M?

    My budget keeps me generally in the under-100mb range, so I wouldn't know.
    But, who really needs a 1024? ;-)

    Chris, Apr 13, 2004
  7. Alan

    amh Guest

    (Alan) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Looking for comments on the Canon A70
    >
    > 1/ I find that the viewfinder is not at all representative of what
    > is on the LCD, in particular related to the height of the image.
    > This means that I have to pull my head away from the viewfinder
    > to look at the LCD to see what I am really shooting -
    > particularly frustrating on closeups - has
    > anyone else seen this, and is there a work around? They talk about
    > it as being a parralax issue in the manual, but I've never
    > experienced this with any other camera.

    I use the viewfinder more often than the LCD. It took me a little
    while to figure out that the viewfinder shows a smaller field of view.
    I just compensate for that in my mind. When I look through the
    viewfinder I make a mental note that I'll get more of the image in the
    LCD. It allows me to zoom in closer with the viewfinder. I always
    check out the image to be safe I've got it the way I want.

    However now that I've gotten a filter set I use the LCD and viewfinder
    equally.

    > 2/ Can someone explain the finer points of the tradeoffs between
    > image size L/M1/M2/S and compression superfine/fine/normal?
    > For instance, with a 256M card, a L/Fine setting would provide
    > about 276 pictures, and a M/Superfine would provide 246 pictures -
    > which would be 'better' pictures?

    I can't really see much of a difference between L and superfine and
    have gotten excellent elargements up to 8x10 using the L setting. I
    only use S setting for pictures I want to e-mail in large batches. But
    if I want pictures for my own pleasure I'll use L. The S setting takes
    a picture that would be a 200 or 300 kb while a L picture could be 1
    meg. Smaller is better for e-mailing snapshots but Larger is better
    for printing.

    > If you take smaller size pictures with lower compression, is there
    > really any significant difference than larger pictures with higher
    > compression?
    >
    > 3/ I find that night time pictures with flash are very drowned out -
    > how much have others had to step down the flash?

    Haven't noticed this maybe because I don't take many nighttime
    pictures.

    > 4/ The web site indicates the viewfinder will have set the picture focus in
    > between
    > [ ]
    > However, in my camera, its more like
    > |
    > - -
    > |

    > Any one else seen this and does it matter?

    When I'm taking pictures where focus is important (usually on close up
    shots) I look through the LCD. I don't know why but I do.

    > 5/ What is the maximum flash card people have tested?
    > The manual and their support indicate 256 is the maximum
    > supported - has anyone used it consistently and successfully with
    > 512 or 1024M?

    I use 3 256 cards without any problems. I just found good deals on
    those cards. My gf and I couldn't fill 2 256 cards in 2 weeks of
    touring around France snapping lots of pictures and a couple of
    videos.

    Andy

    amh, Apr 13, 2004
  8. Alan

    Gerapa Guest

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 01:36:57 GMT, "David Sommers" <>
    wrote:

    >I thought the A70 had a menu setting for flash power level and the default
    >is 50%.

    Hi David,

    It has, but only in manual mode.

    Gerapa.