    tips?

    Thanks,

    James
    James, Jan 15, 2004

  2. James

    Roarmeister Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:07:40 -0500, James <>
    wrote:

    >I'm going to Mt. Washington in a few days and I want to take some
    >pictures. I want to know what I should do to make sure I don't break my

    The only thing to really break would be the lens focus/angle
    mechanism.

    >camera. Acording to their web site the current temp tonight (10:49pm) is
    >-25.7°F with a wind chill of -68F. The A70 is rated at 32F. So it would
    >appear that I need to do something to keep it warmer.

    >I'm going keep it close to my body whenever I'm not taking pictures. At
    >night it will be in the sleeping bag with me. Under these conditions
    >should I use rechargable NiMH or one-use Alkaline batteries? Any other
    >tips?

    Lithiums do better in cold weather than either the above.
    Roarmeister, Jan 15, 2004

  3. James

    Marty S. Guest

    I would say that you are better off asking the Canon people this question.
    Find out why it was rated to 32degrees and why not lower. Perhaps at colder
    weather the camera seams constrict causing moisture to get in. Or perhaps
    below freezing the mechanical parts (focus, etc) won't work. Or, at below
    32degrees, the plastic camera body, lenses, circuit boards, and other
    plastic parts get brittle and are subject to cracking and breaking (that
    would be my best guess).

    But I would certainly ask Canon if you have issues.

    --
    Marty S.
    Baltimore, MD USA

    Marty S., Jan 15, 2004
  4. The only camera I've gotten to work reliably in those kind of temps was my
    old Leica SM rangefinder.

    Paul Riemerman

    Paul Riemerman, Jan 15, 2004
  5. James

    Jim Townsend Guest

    James wrote:

    > I'm going to Mt. Washington in a few days and I want to take some
    > pictures. I want to know what I should do to make sure I don't break my
    > camera. Acording to their web site the current temp tonight (10:49pm) is
    > -25.7°F with a wind chill of -68F. The A70 is rated at 32F. So it would
    > appear that I need to do something to keep it warmer.

    If you keep the camera warm (in your jacket until needed), it should work.
    The A70 isn't that big.. It will fit in a large pocket. If you don't have
    a pocket large enough, make up some sort of carrier that allows you to
    keep it next to your body under your coat.

    If you leave the camera out long enough, it will die.. The batteries
    for one just won't take it.

    I recently had my 10D out at -27°F (-33°C) on a tripod for 1/2 an hour. I
    was taking snow landscape shots at night lit by the full moon.

    The camera got so cold it caused pain when my cheek pressed against it.
    After about 30 minutes, the lens started having trouble focusing. That's
    when I gave up.

    So yes, your camera should work unprotected.. But only to a point. If
    you don't keep it warm, it will definitely give up after a certain time..
    It all depends on the camera.

    I can't comment on what battery to use, but it wouldn't hurt to have a few
    extra sets that you keep warm.. Cold will suck the power out of batteries,
    but they generally come back to life when you warm them up again.

    Finally... Over the years, I've seen lots of discussion on using digicams in
    the cold. (Next month will be the third year I've followed this group). I've
    never seen anyone complain of their camera being damaged by the cold. Despite
    that.. You should be aware you're operating the camera well outside the
    recommended parameters.
    Jim Townsend, Jan 15, 2004
  6. James

    Penny S Guest

    Jim Townsend scribbled on a scrap of paper:
    > James wrote:
    >
    >> I'm going to Mt. Washington in a few days and I want to take some
    >> pictures. I want to know what I should do to make sure I don't
    >> break my camera. Acording to their web site the current temp
    >> tonight (10:49pm) is
    >> -25.7°F with a wind chill of -68F. The A70 is rated at 32F. So it
    >> would appear that I need to do something to keep it warmer.

    > If you keep the camera warm (in your jacket until needed), it should
    > work. The A70 isn't that big.. It will fit in a large pocket. If you
    > don't have a pocket large enough, make up some sort of carrier that
    > allows you to keep it next to your body under your coat.

    good canon discussion board:
    http://forums.powershot-a.com/index.php
    Penny S, Jan 15, 2004
  7. James

    Kin Lau Guest

    James wrote:
    > I'm going to Mt. Washington in a few days and I want to take some
    > pictures. I want to know what I should do to make sure I don't break
    > my camera. Acording to their web site the current temp tonight
    > (10:49pm) is -25.7°F with a wind chill of -68F. The A70 is rated at
    > 32F. So it would appear that I need to do something to keep it warmer.
    >
    > I'm going keep it close to my body whenever I'm not taking pictures.
    > At night it will be in the sleeping bag with me. Under these
    > conditions should I use rechargable NiMH or one-use Alkaline
    > batteries? Any other tips?

    I've had my A70 outside in -15°C for about 1/2 hr to 45min's, and it was
    fine... I was using nimh's.
    Kin Lau, Jan 16, 2004