Canon A70, horizontal lines and autofocus noise.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Roger W, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Roger W

    Roger W Guest

    I recently purchased a Canon A70 to replace a stolen A60.
    There are issues that exist with the A70 that did NOT exist with the
    A60.

    1 - Horizontal Lines when zooming. I did not get this on my A60 and
    never noticed this on my cousins A70.

    2 - There is a "grinding" when focusing that did not exist on my A60,
    my cousins A70, or the store demo. This could have something to do
    with #4 below. This noise is also audible when powering down the
    camera. it sounds like a gear is misaligned.

    3 - The "feature" sticker that came on the front/top of the A60 was
    non existant on my A70. It didn't look used out of the box, but could
    this have been a return?

    4 - The pictures don't look as sharp as the A70. I'm basing this on
    the amount of noise when the picture is displayed at actual size.
    Even when both are taken at a 2mp resolution, the A70 shows noticably
    more noise than my old A60. I need to play with the ISO setting which
    for came locked at iso50, but I adjusted to auto, which I have since
    locked back at 60 after grainy pictures.

    I'm thinking of returning this item. I'm very frustrated. The A60 I
    owned was a wonderful camera with none of the faults listed above.
    Has the QA gone down on these camera's?
    Roger W, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Roger W

    Zol. Guest

    There has been a few reports of noisy lens & LCD noise - it may well be
    quality control, I would take it back and try others out in the store until
    you are happy with a replacement ... Zol.

    Zol., Sep 30, 2003

  3. Roger W

    C. T. K. Guest

    "Zol." <Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote in message news:<Qnkeb.173532$B%>...
    > There has been a few reports of noisy lens & LCD noise - it may well be
    > quality control, I would take it back and try others out in the store until
    > you are happy with a replacement ... Zol.
    >
    > "Roger W" <> wrote in message
    > > I recently purchased a Canon A70 to replace a stolen A60.
    > > There are issues that exist with the A70 that did NOT exist with the
    > > A60.

    [lines omitted]

    > > 4 - The pictures don't look as sharp as the A70. I'm basing this on
    > > the amount of noise when the picture is displayed at actual size.
    > > Even when both are taken at a 2mp resolution, the A70 shows noticably
    > > more noise than my old A60. I need to play with the ISO setting which
    > > for came locked at iso50, but I adjusted to auto, which I have since
    > > locked back at 60 after grainy pictures.
    > >
    > > I'm thinking of returning this item. I'm very frustrated. The A60 I
    > > owned was a wonderful camera with none of the faults listed above.
    > > Has the QA gone down on these camera's?

    I had a quality problem with my Canon A70 (that "Zol." was kind enough to help
    me with) and I ended up returning it. With my first A70, portions of the image
    were out of focus. Since replacing it with another A70, though, I've not had
    any problems.
    C. T. K., Sep 30, 2003
  4. Roger W

    chibitul Guest

    In article <>,
    (Roger W) wrote:

    > 3 - The "feature" sticker that came on the front/top of the A60 was
    > non existant on my A70. It didn't look used out of the box, but could
    > this have been a return?

    Same thing happened with my gf's A70. We were a bit concerned about it,
    but then we saw the picture on the box also without sticker. everything
    else was sealed, and the box looked unopened (but powershot boxes are
    not sealed, at least for A10 and A70).

    Camera was fine, none of the problems you mention (except the sticker,
    of course). And she would have removed the sticker anyway, so no big
    deal.

    could other A70 owners specify if their cameras came with or without
    sticker? Thanks
    chibitul, Oct 1, 2003
  5. Roger W

    Quaoar Guest

    chibitul wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > (Roger W) wrote:
    >>
    >> 3 - The "feature" sticker that came on the front/top of the A60 was
    >> non existant on my A70. It didn't look used out of the box, but
    >> could this have been a return?

    > Same thing happened with my gf's A70. We were a bit concerned about
    > it, but then we saw the picture on the box also without sticker.
    > everything else was sealed, and the box looked unopened (but
    > powershot boxes are not sealed, at least for A10 and A70).
    >
    > Camera was fine, none of the problems you mention (except the sticker,
    > of course). And she would have removed the sticker anyway, so no big
    > deal.
    >
    > could other A70 owners specify if their cameras came with or without
    > sticker? Thanks

    My G3 came both sealed in the box and with a complete set of stickers
    covering the entire front of the camera. Additionally, Canon has been
    assembling the contents with a yellow sheet of paper on the top of the
    contents, the first thing seen when opening the box: "Do not connect the
    camera with the USB cable until all software and drivers have been
    installed", or something similar. For XP's screwed up hardware
    installation wizard. [my experience with two G3's, one personal, one my
    son purchased - two is not a statistic, I realize!] Some of the big box
    stores seem to have a practice of opening their boxes for some strange
    reason.

    Quaoar, Oct 1, 2003
  6. "Roger W" <> wrote in message
    > 1 - Horizontal Lines when zooming. I did not get this on my A60 and
    > never noticed this on my cousins A70.

    My A70 does that too, and others have said the same here in the past. It
    only affects the lcd display while zooming, not the taken image, so I ignore
    it. But like you, I do wish it didn't do that.

    > 2 - There is a "grinding" when focusing that did not exist on my A60,
    > my cousins A70, or the store demo. This could have something to do
    > with #4 below. This noise is also audible when powering down the
    > camera. it sounds like a gear is misaligned.

    Not with mine.

    Bruce.
    Bruce Chastain, Oct 1, 2003
  7. Roger W

    C. T. K. Guest

    chibitul <> wrote in message news:<>...

    [lines omitted]

    > could other A70 owners specify if their cameras came with or without
    > sticker? Thanks

    Both A70s that I got, along with one I tried at the store, had the "features"
    stickers on the camera bodies. There were stickers on the front near the lens,
    and on the top, next to the settings dial.
    C. T. K., Oct 2, 2003
  8. Roger W

    Gary Fritz Guest

    (C. T. K.) wrote:
    >> could other A70 owners specify if their cameras came with or without
    >> sticker? Thanks

    > Both A70s that I got, along with one I tried at the store, had the
    > "features" stickers on the camera bodies.

    I just got an A70 from OfficeMax. (Back ordered for 2 weeks.) It had no
    "features" stickers on it, but it was pretty clearly an unopened box.

    Gary
    Gary Fritz, Oct 8, 2003