    family photos. Or would I be better off just buying the 3 megapixel
    Canon A70 and save $100.

    Thanks

    Sam, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Sam

    DHB Guest

    Sam,
    the 3 cameras all seen to be a good value for the money. I
    understand by your post that your looking for opinions to which there is no
    shortage of here however you may wish to balance that with a side-by-side
    feature review of all 3 cameras @ dpreview's site below:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

    Having said that, the A70 & A80 have more manual or user selectable
    features than the Sony. For your intended purpose this my be of little
    importance to you if your mainly going to use it in "full-auto" (P&S) mode.
    If however you later wish to explore much beyond P&S I would suggest the A70
    or A80.

    My advice/opinion would be this: Go with the A70 from a local retailer
    (preferably on sale) local retailers around here rarely drop the price but
    they do offer a 64 or 128M CF with it, or you can buy from a mail order
    supplier with a solid reputation such as B&H in NY:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ which last I checked was selling it for about
    $270.

    This seems to me to be the best value for the money & you can put the
    savings toward 2 sets of rechargeable NiMH "AA" batteries, a quality smart
    charger, Canon's little camera case & lastly a 2nd larger CF card.

    CF card prices are still cheaper than MS flash cards even though they
    have dropped in price considerably. Just purchased two 512M Lexar 12x CF
    cards from Amazon.com for $100 each, no rebates & free shipping. You may
    not need a card this large for the A70 however it does illustrate the
    potential price difference between the CF cards & the MS flash memory.

    Lastly, yes I do own an A70 & am very pleased with it. Down the road if
    you find that you have outgrown the A70 & want to upgrade, you can always
    hand the camera down to a family member or keep it as an everyday camera.
    My A40 (2MP) has over 3,300 pictures on it, it's still going strong & it
    still gets a lot of use too.

    Best of luck, hope something I have offered is helpful to you.

    Respectfully, DHB

    DHB, Nov 20, 2003

  3. Sam

    mark herring Guest

    Family photos---Don't waste your money on anything over 3Mp. I am getting
    really good stuff at 2Mp (See my post: "A nice picture")
    Get a good lens---no slower that f/2.8, and at least 3X zoom
    I have the Canon A40, and would buy an A70 without even looking at one
    first.

    --
    Mark Herring

    *