    difficult to check the focus of a picture. Has anybody found this to
    be a problem? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

    Ken

    kjk, Dec 27, 2003

  2. kjk

    Ronald Hands Guest

    kjk wrote:

    > I notice that the Canon A70/A80 has a lower resolution LCD (78K/67K)
    > than many of its competitors in that price range. The only
    > significant downside that I can see to this is that it may be
    > difficult to check the focus of a picture. Has anybody found this to
    > be a problem? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

    If they work the same way as my Canon A40, then the best guide to
    achieving sharp focus is to watch which focus square on the LCD turns
    green. That seems to indicate that it has found focus, and also tells
    you what it's focusing on. As I understand it, the camera focuses on
    contrasting edges and you can usually see in the LCD, within the green
    square, just what it has selected.

    -- Ron

    Ronald Hands, Dec 27, 2003

  3. kjk

    bluestringer Guest

    "kjk" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I notice that the Canon A70/A80 has a lower resolution LCD (78K/67K)
    > than many of its competitors in that price range. The only
    > significant downside that I can see to this is that it may be
    > difficult to check the focus of a picture. Has anybody found this to
    > be a problem? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Ken

    Turn off AiAF, and the single focus square will remain in the center of the
    LCD. Press the button half way and when the square turns green you have
    focus. You can acheive a better focus point without AiAF.

    bluestringer

    bluestringer, Dec 27, 2003
  4. kjk <> writes:

    >I notice that the Canon A70/A80 has a lower resolution LCD (78K/67K)
    >than many of its competitors in that price range. The only
    >significant downside that I can see to this is that it may be
    >difficult to check the focus of a picture. Has anybody found this to
    >be a problem? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

    None of the built-in LCDs on any of these cameras is very useful for
    critical manual focusing. Whether the LCD has 70 kpixels or 100
    kpixels or 200 kpixels, it isn't going to show you whether a 4
    megapixel image is as sharp as it can be. If you view the LCD with
    unaided eyes, it's going to occupy a tiny fraction of the field of view
    of an eventual print. If you use something like a magnifying loupe to
    enlarge the LCD to a reasonable field of view, you'll see every pixel
    in the LCD, and be very aware that it's low resolution. It just isn't
    a substitute for a SLR viewfinder. However, all the cameras in this
    price range use small sensors so they have a great depth of field, so
    critical focus isn't as important as it would be with a larger sensor
    (SLR) camera.

    However, you'll use autofocus most of the time with these cameras, and
    you can easily tell when the camera thinks it has focused correctly,
    and what it has chosen to focus on (if you leave the multi-area
    autofocus enabled). If you do use manual focus, you'll get a distance
    scale to use, and the centre portion of the image is enlarged somewhat
    to help focusing.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Dec 27, 2003
  5. kjk

    The man Guest

    I just bought an A70 for X-mas and love it. I have taken over 400 pictures
    since. The hardest part is determining which program to use to take
    photo's given your lighting condition and effect you are after. I am still
    experimenting with the various programs.

    One really great feature is the ability to zoom into the photo you just took
    and view the image. Don't worry about the red eyes as they can be removed
    with post editing. The movie feature on the A70 (640*480) is COOL.

    John

    The man, Dec 27, 2003
  6. "The man" <> writes:

    >One really great feature is the ability to zoom into the photo you just took
    >and view the image. Don't worry about the red eyes as they can be removed
    >with post editing. The movie feature on the A70 (640*480) is COOL.

    The A80 is limited to 320x240 movies at 15 FPS. That must be a
    limitation of the larger CCD. (The A80 uses a so-called 1/1.8" CCD,
    the same as the G2/G3 and S400, which is physically larger than the
    CCD used in the A60 and A70.)

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Dec 28, 2003