    No dropped frames or filled buffer with a standard 256MB SanDisk.
    Thanks jplauril.

    http://nostromo.dynalias.org/canonhacking/

    tomcas, Jan 6, 2005

  2. tomcas

    Tom Guest

    Re: Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 with hacked firmware

    "tomcas" <> wrote in message news:nR1Dd.282$...
    > Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 after
    > applying this firmware hack. Without it you are limited to 30 seconds.
    > I just flashed the firmware on my A70 after tweaking the standard
    > factory firmware file per the instructions and it worked like a champ.
    > No dropped frames or filled buffer with a standard 256MB SanDisk.
    > Thanks jplauril.
    >
    > http://nostromo.dynalias.org/canonhacking/

    Fantastic! Now if only someone could hack the S1 to record videos
    over 1GB.....

    BTW I get a login prompt on this page. Am I missing anything by
    not logging in?

    Tom

    Tom, Jan 6, 2005

  3. tomcas

    tomcas Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > "tomcas" <> wrote in message news:nR1Dd.282$...
    >
    >>Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 after
    >>applying this firmware hack. Without it you are limited to 30 seconds.
    >>I just flashed the firmware on my A70 after tweaking the standard
    >>factory firmware file per the instructions and it worked like a champ.
    >>No dropped frames or filled buffer with a standard 256MB SanDisk.
    >>Thanks jplauril.
    >>
    >>http://nostromo.dynalias.org/canonhacking/

    > Fantastic! Now if only someone could hack the S1 to record videos
    > over 1GB.....
    >
    > BTW I get a login prompt on this page. Am I missing anything by
    > not logging in?

    Nope,You will not miss anything. I have the A70 already hacked firmware
    if anyone needs it.

    tomcas, Jan 6, 2005
  4. tomcas

    Edwin Bont Guest

    Re: Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 with hacked firmware

    Please upload a file. (that guy is so paranoid).

    Edwin Bont, Jan 6, 2005
  5. tomcas

    cambium Guest

    Re: Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 with hacked firmware

    What is the reason for limiting video? Someone said it was because some
    designs of sensors are not supposed to be exposed to light for too long a
    period - can this be true?

    cambium, Jan 6, 2005
  6. tomcas

    tomcas Guest

    cambium wrote:
    > What is the reason for limiting video? Someone said it was because some
    > designs of sensors are not supposed to be exposed to light for too long a
    > period - can this be true?

    Maybe, but I doubt it.
    1) These models can already record 3 minutes video from the factory
    albeit at lower resolution.
    2) Only the individual clips are time limited. As soon as the clip is
    stored, which is only a couple of seconds with a fast card, you can
    immediately begin recording again.
    3) Other models using the same sensor can record from 11 minutes at even
    higher frame rates to over an hour at lower resolutions at a clip.
    4) Taking a picture of say for instance the sun or a intensely bright
    light would be even much more damaging, yet it does not seem so.
    5) Movie cameras and high end web cams can operate continuously, yet
    utilize the same type sensors.
    6) Many of these cameras can function as web cams by design for
    unlimited durations.

    tomcas, Jan 7, 2005
  7. tomcas

    cambium Guest

    Re: Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 with hacked firmware

    All your points make good sense - I agree it can't be the reason I was
    told.

    So... why can the Canon S1 IS take unlimited (to card max) high quality
    video, while the Nikon 8080 is limited to one minute? I can see no obvious
    explanation.

    cambium, Jan 7, 2005
  8. tomcas

    "cambium" <> wrote in message news:8UqDd.732975$nl.244585@pd7tw3no...
    > All your points make good sense - I agree it can't be the reason I was
    > told.
    >
    > So... why can the Canon S1 IS take unlimited (to card max) high quality
    > video, while the Nikon 8080 is limited to one minute? I can see no obvious
    > explanation.

    The S1 is not unlimited. Max is either 1GB or 1 hour, whichever
    comes first. At full quality and frame rate it can take an 8-9 minute
    clip before it reaches 1GB and stops.

    Sure would like to find a way to increase that to 2GB.

    Tom, Jan 7, 2005
  9. tomcas

    cambium Guest

    Re: Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 with hacked firmware

    I have the Sony VX2000 which is an excellent DV camera with three sensors.
    Of course there are other DVs that are less quality but almost the same if
    you look at the resulting video.

    How about the S1 IS - how would you compare that (highest res) video to DV?
    I know it is only VGA and DV is a little bigger - but other than that.

    (I meant to address the group, Tom)

    cambium, Jan 7, 2005
  10. tomcas

    "cambium" <> wrote in message news:iiCDd.2274$8l.1883@pd7tw1no...
    > I have the Sony VX2000 which is an excellent DV camera with three sensors.
    > Of course there are other DVs that are less quality but almost the same if
    > you look at the resulting video.
    >
    > How about the S1 IS - how would you compare that (highest res) video to DV?
    > I know it is only VGA and DV is a little bigger - but other than that.

    The S1's bitrate is 1.87Mb/s, atrociously low compared to DV's
    15Mb/s, but the results are surprisingly good. There are some
    exceptions of course, such as very fast moving scenes where blur
    is apparent.

    Also, audio is recorded at 22kHz 16-bit mono instead of 44kHz
    16-bit stereo.

    Tom, Jan 7, 2005
  11. tomcas

    cambium Guest

    Re: Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 with hacked firmware

    Tom, DV is compressed much lower I think. In this link, which I think is
    accurate, it says 3.5 mb/second for DV.

    http://www.manifest-tech.com/media_pc/dv_format.htm

    So, 1.87 (or 2.1 if you extrapolate to the DV frame size) is not too bad,
    but not quite as good as DV.

    cambium, Jan 8, 2005
  12. tomcas

    "cambium" <> wrote in message news:IAFDd.5011$8l.2099@pd7tw1no...
    > Tom, DV is compressed much lower I think. In this link, which I think is
    > accurate, it says 3.5 mb/second for DV.
    >
    > http://www.manifest-tech.com/media_pc/dv_format.htm
    >
    > So, 1.87 (or 2.1 if you extrapolate to the DV frame size) is not too bad,
    > but not quite as good as DV.

    No, the difference is megaBYTES as opposed to megaBITS.
    The S1's bitrate is 1.87 megaBITS/s. DV is 3.5 megaBYTES/s.
    DV is almost 16x the bitrate of the S1.

    Tom, Jan 8, 2005
  13. tomcas

    "Tom" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "cambium" <> wrote in message news:IAFDd.5011$8l.2099@pd7tw1no...
    > > Tom, DV is compressed much lower I think. In this link, which I think is
    > > accurate, it says 3.5 mb/second for DV.
    > >
    > > http://www.manifest-tech.com/media_pc/dv_format.htm
    > >
    > > So, 1.87 (or 2.1 if you extrapolate to the DV frame size) is not too bad,
    > > but not quite as good as DV.

    > No, the difference is megaBYTES as opposed to megaBITS.
    > The S1's bitrate is 1.87 megaBITS/s. DV is 3.5 megaBYTES/s.
    > DV is almost 16x the bitrate of the S1.

    Cambium, gosh I'm embarassed.. You're absolutely
    correct. I checked properties on my S1's AVI files and
    took Kb to mean kilobits. But it is actually kilobytes.

    You're 100% correct. Sorry.

    Tom, Jan 8, 2005
  14. tomcas

    cambium Guest

    Re: Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 with hacked firmware

    You had me convinced in the last post but one, so I'm glad you double
    checked it and set us both straight.

    So then, when you play the Canon S1 video on your TV, how is the experience?
    Is it noticeably inferior, or fairly close to DV?

    Video cameras and digital still cameras are converging on this point. At
    some point way in the future we'll get video at extremely high resolution,
    so that any grabbed frame might be a great still shot. Being able to choose
    from any of 30 shots per second is a terrific advantage over normal still
    shots.

    cambium, Jan 8, 2005
  15. tomcas

    "cambium" <> wrote in message news:e3KDd.7331$8l.5195@pd7tw1no...
    > You had me convinced in the last post but one, so I'm glad you double
    > checked it and set us both straight.
    >
    > So then, when you play the Canon S1 video on your TV, how is the experience?
    > Is it noticeably inferior, or fairly close to DV?

    Close, but artifacts become apparent in scenes where a subject
    is moving extremely fast.

    Tom, Jan 8, 2005
  16. Canon A70, A75, S230 (and now also Pro1!) can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 with hacked firmware

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:51:46 -0500, tomcas <> wrote:
    > Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 after
    > applying this firmware hack. Without it you are limited to 30 seconds.
    > I just flashed the firmware on my A70 after tweaking the standard
    > factory firmware file per the instructions and it worked like a champ.
    > No dropped frames or filled buffer with a standard 256MB SanDisk.
    > Thanks jplauril.

    You're welcome :)

    Also, I just added the Pro1 version there. Easy as pie - the code was
    the same as in all the other cameras.

    Jukka Laurila, Jan 8, 2005
  17. tomcas

    tomcas Guest

    Re: Canon A70, A75, S230 (and now also Pro1!) can record 3 minutesvideo at 640 x 480 with hacked firmware

    Jukka Laurila wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:51:46 -0500, tomcas <> wrote:
    >
    >>Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 after
    >>applying this firmware hack. Without it you are limited to 30 seconds.
    >>I just flashed the firmware on my A70 after tweaking the standard
    >>factory firmware file per the instructions and it worked like a champ.
    >>No dropped frames or filled buffer with a standard 256MB SanDisk.
    >>Thanks jplauril.

    > You're welcome :)
    >
    > Also, I just added the Pro1 version there. Easy as pie - the code was
    > the same as in all the other cameras.

    Jukka
    You are the man. Thanks for the update.

    tomcas, Jan 8, 2005
  18. Re: Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 with hacked firmware

    "Tom" <> writes:

    >The S1's bitrate is 1.87Mb/s, atrociously low compared to DV's
    >15Mb/s, but the results are surprisingly good. There are some
    >exceptions of course, such as very fast moving scenes where blur
    >is apparent.

    Those numbers are not directly comparable. DV is 25 Mb/s (not 15), but
    that's using motion JPEG encoding where each frame is moderately
    compressed independently of frames before and after. This has the
    advantage that it works no matter how fast the samera is panning, and
    how much change there is between adjacent frames, but it's not very high
    compression.

    The S1 almost certainly uses either MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 compression, where
    similarities between adjacent frames are compressed as well. This
    yields much higher compression for the same image quality. (DVDs are
    MPEG-2, so quite high quality is possible given enough bit rate). But
    this can have problems when successive frames are too different.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jan 8, 2005
  19. Re: Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 with hacked firmware

    "cambium" <> writes:

    >So... why can the Canon S1 IS take unlimited (to card max) high quality
    >video, while the Nikon 8080 is limited to one minute? I can see no obvious
    >explanation.

    One possible explanation: compression differences.

    Most Canon cameras also have record time limitations for their video
    mode. These cameras record motion JPEG video, where each frame is
    compressed individually. The data rate for this is pretty high, and the
    cameras probably can't depend on writing the data fast enough to a
    memory card, so the data goes into the camera's buffer memory. The size
    of this memory sets the maximum clip length. The Nikon is probably
    similar.

    The S1, on the other hand, must use MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 compression to get
    the video data rate it uses for its videos. This requires extra
    hardware to do the compression in real time, but results in a much lower
    data rate that the camera *can* write to the memory card as it shoots.
    So the clip length limit is 1 GB, not limited by the internal memory
    size.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jan 8, 2005
  20. tomcas

    Alf92 Guest

    Re: Canon A70, A75, S230 (and now also Pro1!) can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 with hacked firmware

    Jukka Laurila a dit ├ža :

    > On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:51:46 -0500, tomcas
    > <> wrote:
    >> Canon A70, A75, S230 can record 3 minutes video at 640 x 480 after
    >> applying this firmware hack. Without it you are limited to 30
    >> seconds. I just flashed the firmware on my A70 after tweaking the
    >> standard factory firmware file per the instructions and it worked
    >> like a champ. No dropped frames or filled buffer with a standard
    >> 256MB SanDisk. Thanks jplauril.

    > You're welcome :)
    >
    > Also, I just added the Pro1 version there. Easy as pie - the code was
    > the same as in all the other cameras.

    Hello !
    Why don't you offer directly the download of those Firmwares ?
    It would be easier for us ! :)
    May be troubles with Canon ?

    --
    Regards,