    managed to find it (camera only) for about £215 via Google etc.

    Cheers

    John

    John, Nov 23, 2006

  2. John

    bugbear Guest

    John wrote:
    > My wife is buying me a camera for my birthday next week. I like the look of
    > the Canon A640. Anybody have any views on this model, bearing in mind my
    > current digital camera is a Kodak DX3700 that I got via the Kodak internet
    > pricing shambles a few years ago. Also any good deals out there? I have
    > managed to find it (camera only) for about £215 via Google etc.

    Looks like a very nice camera.

    Personally (being a cheap skate) I'm looking
    at last years model - a620 - which is now
    being deeply discounted at Amazon,
    presumably due to the launch of the a640.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Nov 23, 2006

  3. John

    JohnR66 Guest

    "bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
    > John wrote:
    >> My wife is buying me a camera for my birthday next week. I like the look
    >> of the Canon A640. Anybody have any views on this model, bearing in mind
    >> my current digital camera is a Kodak DX3700 that I got via the Kodak
    >> internet pricing shambles a few years ago. Also any good deals out
    >> there? I have managed to find it (camera only) for about £215 via Google
    >> etc.

    > Looks like a very nice camera.
    >
    > Personally (being a cheap skate) I'm looking
    > at last years model - a620 - which is now
    > being deeply discounted at Amazon,
    > presumably due to the launch of the a640.
    >
    > BugBear

    Actually, I'd prefer the A610 or the A620 over the newer models. For one
    thing, you can turn down the sharpening, reducing the sharpening halos. It
    looks more dSLR like to me. AFAICT, in the A630 and A640, Canon removed that
    setting! If you you get the A620, dial in -2/3 exposure comp and turn down
    the sharpening and you'll find the camera is capable of excellent image
    quality. These models have the best lens I've seen as it is sharp at any
    zoom, any aperture and has minimal color fringing. Beware, I'm finding Canon
    to be flaky in aligning the lens during manufacture. I see some cameras
    produce a bit blur to the images along one edge. I got lucky.
    John

    JohnR66, Nov 23, 2006
  4. John

    Dave Cohen Guest

    John wrote:
    > My wife is buying me a camera for my birthday next week. I like the look of
    > the Canon A640. Anybody have any views on this model, bearing in mind my
    > current digital camera is a Kodak DX3700 that I got via the Kodak internet
    > pricing shambles a few years ago. Also any good deals out there? I have
    > managed to find it (camera only) for about £215 via Google etc.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John

    I have the earlier A95 and find it excellent. I think 10mp is overkill
    and I would settle for the A620, but all of these series are good. I
    like using NiMH AA's.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 23, 2006