Canon a630 vs a640?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bugbear, Feb 20, 2007.

  1. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    Given that my prime uses for a digicam
    are 6x4 prints and web pages...

    Current prices are
    http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/canon_digital_cameras.htm

    165 for the a630, and 209 for the a640.

    I like the feature set; twist abd flip LCD,
    and good manual controls.

    It appears from "tech" sites that the ONLY
    difference is the pixel count, and I don't need
    the pixels of the a640.

    So, given that the extra 2Mp cost 44 pounds,
    is there ANY (other...) reason to choose
    the A640?

    Otherwise, It looks like the A630 is a
    great value choice for me.

    Anyone else made this choice, and why?

    BugBear
    bugbear, Feb 20, 2007

  2. bugbear

    DHB Guest

    On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:59:05 +0000, bugbear
    <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

    >Given that my prime uses for a digicam
    >are 6x4 prints and web pages...
    >
    >Current prices are
    >http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/canon_digital_cameras.htm
    >
    >165 for the a630, and 209 for the a640.
    >
    >I like the feature set; twist abd flip LCD,
    >and good manual controls.

    Yes the swivel LCD will allow you to use it to frame shoots
    over the heads of others in a crowd or take a low angle shots down to
    a child or dog's level with little effort & or back strain.

    >It appears from "tech" sites that the ONLY
    >difference is the pixel count, and I don't need
    >the pixels of the a640.

    The pixel count is *NOT* the ONLY difference, though the other
    2 differences may not be of concern or issue to you but since you
    asked I will point them out.

    <1> The A630 is a silver/gray & the A640 is black/charcoal.
    <2> The A630 does *NOT* support "Remote Capture" & the A640 *DOES*.

    Remote Capture allows you to operate the camera via the USB
    port to capture pictures. Most people will never use this feature but
    since your asking about the differences, I thought it worth pointing
    that out just in case you fell this feature has or may have value to
    you. You can read more about "Remote Capture" here as well as a
    complete review of both models including full resolution sample
    pictures:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a640_pg6.html

    >So, given that the extra 2Mp cost 44 pounds,
    >is there ANY (other...) reason to choose
    >the A640?

    The only added benefit for more megapixels is that it gives
    you a little more room for cropping a picture & still retaining enough
    resolution for a give size print.

    >Otherwise, It looks like the A630 is a
    >great value choice for me.

    If you don't foresee a need for the added (enabled) "Remote
    Capture) feature, I would go for the A630 because is should yield less
    noise, especially in the shadows as compared to the A640. Download &
    compare the pictures from both & you decide which is the better fit
    for *your* needs.

    >Anyone else made this choice, and why?
    >
    > BugBear

    BeugBear,
    For the record, I have an A95 & an A610, both 5MP.
    The larger swivel LCD of these 2 cameras tempted me to add 1 of them
    to my collection but I decided against both because I found both a bit
    too noisy for *my* needs. Yes I am sure that they both clean up
    nicely with a quality noise reduction program & printing tends to also
    reduce visible noise a bit but the cost to benefit ratio for me was
    not enough. So I still use both my A95 & A610 for everyday P&S & my
    Fuji F11 when I need good low light performance from a P&S without a
    tripod.

    Best of luck, I am quite certain that you will be pleased with
    either but that choice is yours to make. Hope what I added was of
    some help in choosing between the 2 cameras.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    DHB, Feb 20, 2007

  3. I bought the 640 because I preferred the black casing.

    But both the 630 and 640 suffer from a weak flash and red-eye.
    I'm not sure I'd buy it again.

    Paul D. Sullivan, Feb 20, 2007
  4. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
    > I bought the 640 because I preferred the black casing.
    >
    > But both the 630 and 640 suffer from a weak flash and red-eye.
    > I'm not sure I'd buy it again.

    That's fine - I hate flash to the extent of
    (almost) never using it, preferring noise
    and/or blur.

    But I mainly do studio still life or architecture and
    landscape type shots...

    And, yes, I like tripods!

    Thanks for the observation, though.

    BugBear
    bugbear, Feb 20, 2007
  5. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    DHB wrote:
    > The pixel count is *NOT* the ONLY difference, though the other
    > 2 differences may not be of concern or issue to you but since you
    > asked I will point them out.
    >
    > <1> The A630 is a silver/gray & the A640 is black/charcoal.
    > <2> The A630 does *NOT* support "Remote Capture" & the A640 *DOES*.

    Thanks, you've been most helpful.

    A630, here I come!

    BugBear
    bugbear, Feb 20, 2007
  6. bugbear

    Guest

    DHB wrote:
    > If you don't foresee a need for the added (enabled) "Remote
    > Capture) feature, I would go for the A630 because is should yield less
    > noise, especially in the shadows as compared to the A640. Download &
    > compare the pictures from both & you decide which is the better fit
    > for *your* needs.

    But interestingly, in the dcresource review of these
    cameras, the results regarding noise was not what one could
    expect. The 640 seemed to perform better at higher ISO.
    Comments to two sets of shots (pictures can be studied at
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a630_a640-review/):

    "Both cameras performed about the same at ISO 80 and 100. At ISO 200 you
    start to see detail loss on both cameras, though a midsize print isn't
    out of the question. At ISO 400 we see a bit of a split between the two
    with, surprisingly, the A640 retaining a bit more detail than its lower
    resolution sibling."

    "The A630 and A640 have similar noise levels through ISO 200. At
    ISO 400 something interesting happens: the 10 Megapixel A640 starts
    performing better than the 8 Megapixel A630 -- the opposite that you'd
    expect. The noise reduction system is more effective on the A640,
    making the image look less grainy (but softer) than on the A630. The
    same holds true at ISO 800, but this setting is best used for when
    you're desperate, as it's for small prints only."
    , Feb 20, 2007
  7. bugbear

    Dave Cohen Guest

    bugbear wrote:
    > Given that my prime uses for a digicam
    > are 6x4 prints and web pages...
    >
    > Current prices are
    > http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/canon_digital_cameras.htm
    >
    > 165 for the a630, and 209 for the a640.
    >
    > I like the feature set; twist abd flip LCD,
    > and good manual controls.
    >
    > It appears from "tech" sites that the ONLY
    > difference is the pixel count, and I don't need
    > the pixels of the a640.
    >
    > So, given that the extra 2Mp cost 44 pounds,
    > is there ANY (other...) reason to choose
    > the A640?
    >
    > Otherwise, It looks like the A630 is a
    > great value choice for me.
    >
    > Anyone else made this choice, and why?
    >
    > BugBear

    For your stated needs the A710s is also a good choice, however, it seems
    to lack the swivel lcd. I don't use that feature too much on my A95 but
    it's nice to have it there when you do need it plus it protects the lcd
    surface.
    If you only want to select between the two models I would pick the 630.
    Those extra pixels aren't needed and might add to the noise and for your
    intended end use you'll still have crop latitude. The 4x zoom is a
    worthwhile increase over the 3x of my A95 which is 5mp and I do ok with
    that.
    As for weak flash and red-eye, that seems to be the way it is with p&s
    models.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Feb 20, 2007
  8. bugbear

    DHB Guest

    On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 16:25:35 +0000, bugbear
    <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

    >Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
    >> I bought the 640 because I preferred the black casing.
    >>
    >> But both the 630 and 640 suffer from a weak flash and red-eye.
    >> I'm not sure I'd buy it again.

    >That's fine - I hate flash to the extent of
    >(almost) never using it, preferring noise
    >and/or blur.
    >
    >But I mainly do studio still life or architecture and
    >landscape type shots...
    >
    >And, yes, I like tripods!
    >
    >Thanks for the observation, though.
    >
    > BugBear

    BugBear,
    Since you like tripods & also don't like using any
    flash if possible, I will add a suggestion to consider when you get
    your new camera.

    If you are taking pictures of stationary objects always try to
    take the shot @ 1.3 seconds of longer because this is where Canon's
    Dark Frame Subtraction Noise Reduction kicks in. Set Tv mode to 1.3
    seconds if possible & ISO manually set to 50 & I think you will be
    very impressed with the results. The only down side is that it take
    twice as long before you can take another shot because of how this
    noise reduction works.

    Believe it or not I have set & almost always leave both my A95
    & A610 set to ISO=50. Sounds painfully slow but in most situations
    it's just fine & the lower noise is well worth it. Also consider
    setting your Exposure Compensation to -1/3 EV & you may find that
    exposure level is more often than not, preferable in good lighting
    situations.

    For 1.3 second exposures or longer +1/3 EV or so may be better
    but this you will need to experiment with. Lastly in many situations
    especially indoors, you may get better results if you set the White
    Balance manually. "Tungsten" often works best for indoor & outside
    shots @ night without flash. During the day I often leave WB set to
    "Cloudy", even on very sunny days because I prefer the warmer effect
    it renders in most situations.

    Best of luck, experiment & have fun. The beauty of digital
    photography is a much shorter learning curve because you don't need to
    wait long to see the results, nor does it cost much to take a lot of
    test shots in order to learn what works best for *your needs* & *your
    camera* combination.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    DHB, Feb 20, 2007