Canon - A630, A640, S3 IS and the near future

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul D. Sullivan, Jan 4, 2007.

  1. I am kind of torn between what camera to get next. I have an
    Olympus C5050 and it has been a fantastic camera. But 3x optical
    zoom is a bit sparse. At the same time, I'm craving some higher
    megapixel counts for 8x10's and maybe 11x14 or possibly even
    11x17. But 8x10's will be the most common by far.

    The Canon S3 IS sounds almost exactly what I would want in a
    simple, all-in-one camera. But, it is only 6 megapixels.

    I look at the Canon A630 and A640 and they are also close, except
    for the zoom. 4x is better than 3x as far as optical zoom, but
    not the image stabilized 10x or greater zoom I have been wanting.

    But the fact that the A640 is out, and only around $350 online
    and does 10 megapixel, it is pretty tempting. Still uses AA
    batteries, which I dig.

    If I could combine the A640 and the S3 IS into one camera, I'd be
    happy. But as it is, I'm not sure what to do.

    If the S3 IS is going to also get a boost in megapixels, I'd go
    for that first. But if not, the A640 looks good.

    I have been wondering if there is any info out there about an
    update to the S3 IS in the near future that would push it to at
    least 8 megapixels. Does anyone have any info on what may be
    ahead?

    Thanks

    Paul D. Sullivan, Jan 4, 2007

  2. Paul D. Sullivan

    bugbear Guest

    Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
    > I am kind of torn between what camera to get next. I have an
    > Olympus C5050 and it has been a fantastic camera. But 3x optical
    > zoom is a bit sparse. At the same time, I'm craving some higher
    > megapixel counts for 8x10's and maybe 11x14 or possibly even
    > 11x17. But 8x10's will be the most common by far.

    How do you make, and what do you do with, these
    large prints?

    If you're a pro photographer, selling images,
    I'd have thought you would be aiming higher
    than a "compact" digi-cam.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Jan 4, 2007

  3. On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:47:45 GMT, Paul D. Sullivan <> wrote:
    > I am kind of torn between what camera to get next. I have an
    > Olympus C5050 and it has been a fantastic camera. But 3x optical
    > zoom is a bit sparse. At the same time, I'm craving some higher
    > megapixel counts for 8x10's and maybe 11x14 or possibly even
    > 11x17. But 8x10's will be the most common by far.
    >
    > The Canon S3 IS sounds almost exactly what I would want in a
    > simple, all-in-one camera. But, it is only 6 megapixels.

    I've made passable 11x14s, and fairly decent 8x10s, from my 5MP FZ5
    (equivalent to a Canon S2IS). They're not going to win any awards, and
    probably wouldn't look good from 5 inches away, but are fine for hanging
    on the wall.

    I'd go with the S3IS or one of it's competitors. If you really crave the
    extra megapixels, Panasonic and Fuji both make 10ish megapixel
    superzooms (the FZ50 and S9500 respectively). They're pricier than the
    S3IS and equivalents, though (and physically larger).

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 4, 2007
  4. Paul D. Sullivan

    bluezfolk Guest

    Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
    > I am kind of torn between what camera to get next. I have an
    > Olympus C5050 and it has been a fantastic camera. But 3x optical
    > zoom is a bit sparse. At the same time, I'm craving some higher
    > megapixel counts for 8x10's and maybe 11x14 or possibly even
    > 11x17. But 8x10's will be the most common by far.
    >
    > The Canon S3 IS sounds almost exactly what I would want in a
    > simple, all-in-one camera. But, it is only 6 megapixels.
    >
    > I look at the Canon A630 and A640 and they are also close, except
    > for the zoom. 4x is better than 3x as far as optical zoom, but
    > not the image stabilized 10x or greater zoom I have been wanting.
    >
    > But the fact that the A640 is out, and only around $350 online
    > and does 10 megapixel, it is pretty tempting. Still uses AA
    > batteries, which I dig.
    >
    > If I could combine the A640 and the S3 IS into one camera, I'd be
    > happy. But as it is, I'm not sure what to do.
    >
    > If the S3 IS is going to also get a boost in megapixels, I'd go
    > for that first. But if not, the A640 looks good.
    >
    > I have been wondering if there is any info out there about an
    > update to the S3 IS in the near future that would push it to at
    > least 8 megapixels. Does anyone have any info on what may be
    > ahead?
    >
    > Thanks

    After giving it plenty of thought I bought a Canon A710is. Nice
    zoom range, 7MP (which I'll never need) stabilized, plenty of things to
    play around with, good price. I even got the guy to throw in one of
    those magnetic WA lenses with a good macro for $15 more. It might not
    be the thing for you, but its great for me, have you checked out the
    Sony DMC-H5 it has more MP than the Canon S3is?

    Eric

    Eric

    bluezfolk, Jan 4, 2007
  5. Paul D. Sullivan

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:47:45 +0000, Paul D. Sullivan wrote:

    > I am kind of torn between what camera to get next. I have an
    > Olympus C5050 and it has been a fantastic camera. But 3x optical
    > zoom is a bit sparse. At the same time, I'm craving some higher
    > megapixel counts for 8x10's and maybe 11x14 or possibly even
    > 11x17. But 8x10's will be the most common by far.

    You might be surprised. I have had occasion to print 1mp (1152x864) images
    at 8x10 and you can't tell it from a real photograph - IMHO 100dpi really
    is adequate.

    > The Canon S3 IS sounds almost exactly what I would want in a
    > simple, all-in-one camera. But, it is only 6 megapixels.
    >
    > I look at the Canon A630 and A640 and they are also close, except
    > for the zoom. 4x is better than 3x as far as optical zoom, but
    > not the image stabilized 10x or greater zoom I have been wanting.
    >
    > But the fact that the A640 is out, and only around $350 online
    > and does 10 megapixel, it is pretty tempting. Still uses AA
    > batteries, which I dig.
    >
    > If I could combine the A640 and the S3 IS into one camera, I'd be
    > happy. But as it is, I'm not sure what to do.
    >
    > If the S3 IS is going to also get a boost in megapixels, I'd go
    > for that first. But if not, the A640 looks good.
    >
    > I have been wondering if there is any info out there about an
    > update to the S3 IS in the near future that would push it to at
    > least 8 megapixels. Does anyone have any info on what may be
    > ahead?
    >
    > Thanks

    I can appreciate your comments. I spent a couple of years looking for an
    EVF camera. I have looked at the S*IS cameras among others. One finding I
    made that has impacted my choice has been the resolution of the electronic
    view finder. They are NOT all the same. Most EVFs have a resolution of
    about 110k pixels. Trying to work with one would drive me crazy - the view
    is so blocky and pixellated, I can't stand it. Minolta had one model with
    what they billed as a 1mp EVF - I've been given to understand it was
    really counting R G and B pixels, so it was really only around 300k - but
    it certainly was MUCH better. I recently settled on a Kodak P series EVF
    with 237k pixel EVF (the LCD is about 110k). I suggest you at least look
    through one at a local retailer to see the difference.

    ray, Jan 4, 2007
  6. Paul D. Sullivan

    Guest

    I too was torn a few months back between the Sony H5 and the Canon S3.
    The higher megapixel count, the Zeiss lens and the larger LCD screen on
    the Sony were very tempting, but the Canon got the nod for me and I'm
    glad I bought it. I find the S3 to be a terrific all round performer,
    it's light, compact and easy to pack & carry, the controls are easy to
    use, the menus logical, the image quality is fine and can produce an
    excellent 5 X 7 or an acceptable 8X10 print (you can print well beyond
    this size but the print quality degrades rapidly), battery life is
    amazing, the tilting LCD screen is suprizingly useful, there are tons
    of image refinement settings and the camera boasts full manual control.
    There are some things about this camera that make it far from
    perfect... but that statement applies to every camera on the market.

    I had an opportunity to actually use the Sony H5 at a family gathering
    recently and I was left flat by the lack of tweeking one could do to
    image quality / adjustment. The overall feel and functionality of the
    H5 seemed off to me (subjective comment I realize) and the camera I was
    using had already been sent back for a shutter repair (which took 6
    weeks) inspite of the fact that it was purchased only days after I
    bought mine. I'm sure the Sony is just fine on Auto mode for casual
    use and family snapshots, but I have that in my Canon and much, much
    more. In reality there is only a miniscule difference between a 7.2
    and a 6 MP image so there are many other factors to look at before
    making a purchase.

    The price of the S3 has fallen considerably since I bought it which
    indicates this model will be phased out in the near future... what
    Canon replace it with is anyones guess. For now the S3 is a great
    little camera at an excellent price.

    Best of luck with your decision.

    , Jan 4, 2007
  7. Paul D. Sullivan

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
    > I am kind of torn between what camera to get next. I have an
    > Olympus C5050 and it has been a fantastic camera. But 3x optical
    > zoom is a bit sparse. At the same time, I'm craving some higher
    > megapixel counts for 8x10's and maybe 11x14 or possibly even
    > 11x17. But 8x10's will be the most common by far.
    >
    > The Canon S3 IS sounds almost exactly what I would want in a
    > simple, all-in-one camera. But, it is only 6 megapixels.
    >
    > I look at the Canon A630 and A640 and they are also close, except
    > for the zoom. 4x is better than 3x as far as optical zoom, but
    > not the image stabilized 10x or greater zoom I have been wanting.
    >
    > But the fact that the A640 is out, and only around $350 online
    > and does 10 megapixel, it is pretty tempting. Still uses AA
    > batteries, which I dig.
    >
    > If I could combine the A640 and the S3 IS into one camera, I'd be
    > happy. But as it is, I'm not sure what to do.
    >
    > If the S3 IS is going to also get a boost in megapixels, I'd go
    > for that first. But if not, the A640 looks good.
    >
    > I have been wondering if there is any info out there about an
    > update to the S3 IS in the near future that would push it to at
    > least 8 megapixels. Does anyone have any info on what may be
    > ahead?
    >
    > Thanks

    You're getting hung up on mp. I've gotten perfectly good 8x10 from a 2mp
    canon A40. You don't mention the A710s, that looks like a nice camera,
    would like to see the swivel lcd on it but it is 6x zoom.
    The A630/640 have larger sensors. It's tough to make a decision, that's
    what happens when we're offered so many choices. Life under Henry Ford
    was a lot simpler, choose any color for your car as long as it's black.
    I personally prefer an optical viewfinder but wouldn't let that be a
    deciding factor.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jan 4, 2007
  8. Paul D. Sullivan

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (ray) wrote in

    > One finding I made that has impacted my choice has been the
    > resolution of the electronic view finder. They are NOT all the
    > same. Most EVFs have a resolution of about 110k pixels.

    I've pretty much settled on the S3 (or maybe something very much like
    it) due to its eye-level LCD viewfinder. I simply can't use the large
    LCD on the back of cameras to compose pictures (and they're
    unreadable in daylight anyway), and find that the pure optical
    viewfinders don't give an accurate representation of the final image.

    On the other hand, I don't need a new camera 'til May, so I have the
    luxury of waiting a while to see if something better comes along.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

    Bert Hyman, Jan 4, 2007
  9. Paul D. Sullivan

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 20:23:44 +0000, Bert Hyman wrote:

    > (ray) wrote in
    >
    >> One finding I made that has impacted my choice has been the
    >> resolution of the electronic view finder. They are NOT all the
    >> same. Most EVFs have a resolution of about 110k pixels.

    > I've pretty much settled on the S3 (or maybe something very much like
    > it) due to its eye-level LCD viewfinder. I simply can't use the large
    > LCD on the back of cameras to compose pictures (and they're
    > unreadable in daylight anyway), and find that the pure optical
    > viewfinders don't give an accurate representation of the final image.
    >
    > On the other hand, I don't need a new camera 'til May, so I have the
    > luxury of waiting a while to see if something better comes along.

    In the meantime, I'd suggest you look through one and then look through a
    Kodak P series at a local retailer.

    ray, Jan 4, 2007
  10. > You're getting hung up on mp. I've gotten perfectly good 8x10
    > from a 2mp canon A40. You don't mention the A710s, that looks
    > like a nice camera, would like to see the swivel lcd on it but
    > it is 6x zoom.

    In this case, I certainly am. I have a very good 5mp camera, but
    get 240 dpi of data or so when I print out 8x10. Works great for
    many photos, but I would prefer to have a camera that gives me at
    least a full 300 dpi of resolveable detail for some key macro
    shots and such.

    I understand some people are happy with 8x10's even with cameras
    that are 4 megapixels or less, but I'm simply not one of them, at
    least not in all situations. I'd say my 5mp is good for about
    80% of what I do, but I do want another camera that can give me
    the finer detail I crave. If the S3 IS had 8mp or 10mp, I'd be
    all over it.

    I was not even aware of the A710, and am glad you pointed it out
    to me. Thanks for that - I'll give it a look. It may be only
    7.1mp, but it seems a good bargain for what you get.

    Thanks

    Paul D. Sullivan, Jan 5, 2007
  11. I've kind of been wanting a Canon for a while, one with full AA
    battery support and the like.

    I will do some more research though. Thanks for the tip on the
    Kodak.

    Paul D. Sullivan, Jan 5, 2007
  12. I too prefer having an optical, as well as the LCD. I am not a
    fan of DSLR's and EVF's.

    Paul D. Sullivan, Jan 5, 2007
  13. Thanks for the feedback and info. :)

    Paul D. Sullivan, Jan 5, 2007
  14. I'm not a pro - just an enthusiast.

    I think my C5050 is pretty awesome and gives me a LOT of what I
    need. But there are some portrait and nature pics that I would
    simply like to have more detail on, for cropping even, and for
    the nature stuff in particular, a 10x or 12x optical zoom (image
    stabilized) would be fantastic, especially since the local
    japanese gardens does not allow tripods to be used inside the
    garden.

    On the surface, the S3 IS seems soooooo close - it just needs to
    be 8 or 10 megapixel for me to jump on board, I guess.

    But I'm pondering the A640 as a "convenience" camera that would
    at least allow me to get those portrait shots that can be blown
    up to large prints for family members and such.

    I wonder if an S4 is on the horizon at all?

    Paul D. Sullivan, Jan 5, 2007
  15. > I've made passable 11x14s, and fairly decent 8x10s, from my
    > 5MP FZ5 (equivalent to a Canon S2IS). They're not going to
    > win any awards, and probably wouldn't look good from 5 inches
    > away, but are fine for hanging
    > on the wall.
    >
    > I'd go with the S3IS or one of it's competitors. If you really
    > crave the
    > extra megapixels, Panasonic and Fuji both make 10ish megapixel
    > superzooms (the FZ50 and S9500 respectively). They're pricier
    > than the
    > S3IS and equivalents, though (and physically larger).
    >
    > -dms

    Bummer is that the Fuji does not have image stabilization on the
    S9000 model available here in the US. Tiny little LCD (1.8") but
    it does use AA batteries and an ISO 80 capability. It is also
    pretty darn close to what I want, but not quite there.

    I had never considered a Panasonic before. The FZ50 looks
    promising, but has no Optical viewfinder and uses proprietary
    batteries. I'll have to look into it some more.

    Thanks for the suggestions - I really appreciate it.

    Paul D. Sullivan, Jan 5, 2007
  16. > After giving it plenty of thought I bought a Canon
    > A710is. Nice zoom range, 7MP (which I'll never need)
    > stabilized, plenty of things to play around with, good price.
    > I even got the guy to throw in one of those magnetic WA lenses
    > with a good macro for $15 more. It might not be the thing for
    > you, but its great for me, have you checked out the Sony
    > DMC-H5 it has more MP than the Canon S3is?

    Wow. The H5 has some great features, though it lacks an Optical
    Viewfinder. It does have a very high resolution EVF and fairly
    high resolution LCD and the LCD is 3" in size, making it easy to
    frame pics. Bummer that it only takes the Memory Stick type of
    media. I don't have any of those.

    Still, it is very close to what I am looking for. Standard AA
    batteries are a huge plus.

    I'm going to put that into the Serious Consideration bin, right
    next to the S3. Perhaps just ahead of the S3. It would give me
    288 dpi of resolveable detail on the 8" of the 8x10, and that is
    very close to the 300 dpi I have been thinking of. Not much help
    with extra cropping space (which a 10mp would give me) but still,
    looks pretty promising.

    Thanks much.

    Paul D. Sullivan, Jan 5, 2007
  17. > You might be surprised. I have had occasion to print
    > 1mp (1152x864) images at 8x10 and you can't tell it
    > from a real photograph - IMHO 100dpi really is
    > adequate.

    I get 240 dpi on the 8x10 with my 5mp camera, and there are some
    prints, especially macro flower shots, that I want to be higher
    in terms of resolution. I cannot imagine 1mp providing me with
    anything close to enough detail to make an 8x10. Guess I'm a bit
    picky.

    > I can appreciate your comments. I spent a couple of years
    > looking for an EVF camera. I have looked at the S*IS cameras
    > among others. One finding I made that has impacted my choice
    > has been the resolution of the electronic view finder. They
    > are NOT all the same. Most EVFs have a resolution of about
    > 110k pixels. Trying to work with one would drive me crazy -
    > the view is so blocky and pixellated, I can't stand it.
    > Minolta had one model with what they billed as a 1mp EVF -
    > I've been given to understand it was really counting R G and B
    > pixels, so it was really only around 300k - but it certainly
    > was MUCH better. I recently settled on a Kodak P series EVF
    > with 237k pixel EVF (the LCD is about 110k). I suggest you at
    > least look through one at a local retailer to see the
    > difference.

    Good thoughts on the EVF. I still prefer optical for a variety
    of reasons, including battery life I guess, but will certainly
    take the resolution into account should I find a good model that
    has EVF .

    Thanks

    Paul D. Sullivan, Jan 5, 2007
  18. On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 09:30:15 GMT, Paul D. Sullivan <> wrote:
    > I had never considered a Panasonic before. The FZ50 looks
    > promising, but has no Optical viewfinder and uses proprietary
    > batteries. I'll have to look into it some more.

    Just one note: An optical finder seems like a must-have for you. As far
    as I know, none of the 10-12x superzoom cameras have an optical finder;
    they all use EVFs instead.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 5, 2007
  19. Paul D. Sullivan

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 09:42:09 +0000, Paul D. Sullivan wrote:

    >> You might be surprised. I have had occasion to print
    >> 1mp (1152x864) images at 8x10 and you can't tell it
    >> from a real photograph - IMHO 100dpi really is
    >> adequate.

    > I get 240 dpi on the 8x10 with my 5mp camera, and there are some
    > prints, especially macro flower shots, that I want to be higher
    > in terms of resolution. I cannot imagine 1mp providing me with
    > anything close to enough detail to make an 8x10. Guess I'm a bit
    > picky.

    If you're printing from JPEGs are you sure it's a lack of resolution
    rather than JPEG processing artifacts. i.e. if you print from JPEGs have
    you tried a lossless workflow?

    ray, Jan 5, 2007
  20. Paul D. Sullivan

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 06:19:13 +0000, Paul D. Sullivan wrote:

    > I've kind of been wanting a Canon for a while, one with full AA
    > battery support and the like.
    >
    > I will do some more research though. Thanks for the tip on the
    > Kodak.
    >
    >> In the meantime, I'd suggest you look through one and then
    >> look through a Kodak P series at a local retailer.

    You're welcome. I only mention it because I've found their EVFs to be much
    better than others - at least in term of the actual EVF resolution.

    ray, Jan 5, 2007