Canon A620 - Is It Still One Of The Best?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by poddys, Jul 18, 2006.

  1. poddys

    poddys Guest

    I was looking to replace my 2mp Kodak DC290 with the Canon A620 last
    Christmas, but my old Kodak is still working and I have been hanging on
    for the right moment.

    It's now almost a year after I started looking for a replacement
    camera, and the price of the A620 has dropped from it's original $399
    to as low as $219 (www.newegg.com including 1gb SD card).

    I'm looking for something small and easy to use, but also having some
    decent features. A fast response time and good battery life are
    something my wife is demanding - the Kodak has neither. The A620 also
    has the slip out screen, and auto-rotates the image (which some cameras
    do not - annoying when viewing on the computer).

    Yes I would love a digital SLR, but can't justify paying the price for
    the amount of photography I do...... My wife wants something small,
    but I don't want to buy a wafer thin camera that doesn't have the nice
    features or quality that the A620 does.

    At the latest price I would think the A620 to be a bargain, but my
    question is "Is there a better camera out there in it's class"?

    poddys, Jul 18, 2006

  2. poddys

    iws Guest

    "poddys" <> wrote in message
    > I was looking to replace my 2mp Kodak DC290 with the Canon A620 last
    > Christmas, but my old Kodak is still working and I have been hanging on
    > for the right moment.
    >
    > It's now almost a year after I started looking for a replacement
    > camera, and the price of the A620 has dropped from it's original $399
    > to as low as $219 (www.newegg.com including 1gb SD card).
    >
    > I'm looking for something small and easy to use, but also having some
    > decent features. A fast response time and good battery life are
    > something my wife is demanding - the Kodak has neither. The A620 also
    > has the slip out screen, and auto-rotates the image (which some cameras
    > do not - annoying when viewing on the computer).
    >
    > Yes I would love a digital SLR, but can't justify paying the price for
    > the amount of photography I do...... My wife wants something small,
    > but I don't want to buy a wafer thin camera that doesn't have the nice
    > features or quality that the A620 does.
    >
    > At the latest price I would think the A620 to be a bargain, but my
    > question is "Is there a better camera out there in it's class"?

    I recently bought the A620 and am very happy with it. The flip out screen is
    handier than I had expected and can be closed face side into the camera for
    protection of the screen. It's far faster than my old Nikon. Not sure if it
    matters to you but it can take a 4 GB SD card. Many cameras can't. Even the
    video is not bad and with 4 GB, you could shoot about 30 minutes worth.
    Battery life is also far longer than my old Nikon. The A620 is fairly heavy
    with its complement of 4 AA batteries. It is also not one that slips easily
    into a pocket as some sub-compacts do. Reviews suggest it's a bit noisy at
    ISO 400 setting but that wasn't a great concern to me. Consumer Reports in
    the latest issue (July) ranks it at the top of the all the compact cameras
    tested. They put its battery life at 500 shots - more than all but one of
    those tested. They also list its next-shot delay as 2 sec (all compact
    cameras tested for the article range between 1 sec. and 6 sec. with most
    between 1 and 4 sec.) The Newegg deal is a very good one and I'd go for it.

    iws, Jul 18, 2006

  3. poddys

    poddys Guest

    Thanks - I think I might just have to splash out - although you always
    wonder why the price is so low - what's about to be released as a new
    model? But this looks like a fine camera for my needs.

    The price of a 4gb card is peanuts now compared ot a year ago and very
    affordable - saves hauling my Hi-8 camcorder around for short video
    clip shooting.

    My old Kodak gets maybe 50-100 shots out of a set of 4-AA's - and
    that's without the screen on, so getting 500 is a definite improvement.

    Don't think I can go wrong with the A620.

    poddys, Jul 18, 2006
  4. poddys

    DHB Guest

    On 18 Jul 2006 05:29:06 -0700, "poddys" <> wrote:

    >I was looking to replace my 2mp Kodak DC290 with the Canon A620 last
    >Christmas, but my old Kodak is still working and I have been hanging on
    >for the right moment.
    >
    >It's now almost a year after I started looking for a replacement
    >camera, and the price of the A620 has dropped from it's original $399
    >to as low as $219 (www.newegg.com including 1gb SD card).

    Hard to beat for that price. I have the A510 (5MP) version
    but otherwise basically the same camera & I am pleased with it. For
    my needs I set ISO to 50 & keep it there, so noise problems @ this
    setting are virtually non existing.

    >I'm looking for something small and easy to use, but also having some
    >decent features. A fast response time and good battery life are
    >something my wife is demanding - the Kodak has neither. The A620 also
    >has the slip out screen, and auto-rotates the image (which some cameras
    >do not - annoying when viewing on the computer).

    Yes it is easy to use & has a lot of manual & semi-manual
    options available that many P&S don't have. Most of the time I use
    may A510 in Av (Aperture Priority), Manual mode or "C" (Custom) mode.

    Custom mode alone makes this a very attractive camera because
    it can bet setup as a hyper focal mode which is great for taking
    action shots. This mode remembers virtually all of your settings
    independently from other modes so you can set things like lens zoom
    point, manual focus point, white balance & etc. & these are all
    remembered by just rotating the dial to "C".

    For a better explanation as to why & how this 1 feature is so
    useful, you may want to check this link out:

    http://albert.achtung.com/cameras/A80/index7.html#SNAP

    Note this refers to the Canon A80 but the info. also applies
    to the A620. Hope you or others find this feature & tip helpful.

    >Yes I would love a digital SLR, but can't justify paying the price for
    >the amount of photography I do...... My wife wants something small,
    >but I don't want to buy a wafer thin camera that doesn't have the nice
    >features or quality that the A620 does.
    >
    >At the latest price I would think the A620 to be a bargain, but my
    >question is "Is there a better camera out there in it's class"?

    Additional advice with the Axxx line is that you might want to
    carry a 2nd set of "AA" batteries with you. The batteries last a very
    long time but when they are depleted, it happens very quickly. Also a
    2GB SD card would be wise because they tend to fill up fast especially
    if you use the video clip mode. With the cost of quality lifetime
    warrantee cards having dropped so much, I would consider this size
    well worth having especially for this camera, a 2nd would also be nice
    but I suspect the new 4GB cards will drive down the price of 2GB cards
    so a 2nd 1 could be purchased later.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Jul 19, 2006
  5. poddys

    Guest

    poddys wrote:

    > Thanks - I think I might just have to splash out - although you always
    > wonder why the price is so low - what's about to be released as a new
    > model?

    Actually, the next group of Canon A series cameras were already
    released - the A530, A540, and the A700. I picked up an A620 a few
    months ago, to take with me as backup on a trip overseas. Good thing,
    since my SLR balked at odd times, and I ended up using the A620 about
    half the time.

    In short, it is a fabulous camera, and a steal at that price (I paid
    about $260 for mine). If I were buying right now, I *might* consider
    the A700 for its lighter weight (only 2 AA's instead of 4), larger
    screen (2.5"), and extra telephoto reach, although my previous
    experience (with a Pentax 555) tells me that the latter feature isn't
    worth very much over the A620's adequate zoom. The swivelling LCD on
    the A620 is very, very handy now and then, and Canon seems to have
    gotten rid of it in this line of cameras.

    My advice - go for it!

    Bill

    , Jul 19, 2006
  6. poddys

    DHB Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:37:54 GMT, DHB <> wrote:

    >On 18 Jul 2006 05:29:06 -0700, "poddys" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I was looking to replace my 2mp Kodak DC290 with the Canon A620 last
    >>Christmas, but my old Kodak is still working and I have been hanging on
    >>for the right moment.
    >>
    >>It's now almost a year after I started looking for a replacement
    >>camera, and the price of the A620 has dropped from it's original $399
    >>to as low as $219 (www.newegg.com including 1gb SD card).

    Repeated typo on my part. please replace "A510" with "A610".
    Sorry for any confusion this many have caused.

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Jul 19, 2006
  7. poddys

    iws Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > poddys wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks - I think I might just have to splash out - although you always
    > > wonder why the price is so low - what's about to be released as a new
    > > model?

    > Actually, the next group of Canon A series cameras were already
    > released - the A530, A540, and the A700. I picked up an A620 a few
    > months ago, to take with me as backup on a trip overseas. Good thing,
    > since my SLR balked at odd times, and I ended up using the A620 about
    > half the time.
    >
    > In short, it is a fabulous camera, and a steal at that price (I paid
    > about $260 for mine). If I were buying right now, I *might* consider
    > the A700 for its lighter weight (only 2 AA's instead of 4), larger
    > screen (2.5"), and extra telephoto reach, although my previous
    > experience (with a Pentax 555) tells me that the latter feature isn't
    > worth very much over the A620's adequate zoom. The swivelling LCD on
    > the A620 is very, very handy now and then, and Canon seems to have
    > gotten rid of it in this line of cameras.

    That's a shame because there are a number of instances when this feature is
    useful e.g. shooting over the tops of heads in a crowd, shooting from a
    point difficult or impossible to get behind the camera to view the LCD.
    Oddly, virtually every camcorder has a swivelling LCD; why should it be
    different for still cameras? I also fail to be impressed by ever expanding
    zooms. In my experience, especially for casual photography, having enhanced
    wide-angle capability is far more useful than additional telephoto.

    > My advice - go for it!

    I agree, at that price and with an SD card thrown in, it's a steal.

    iws, Jul 20, 2006
  8. poddys

    Neil Maxwell Guest

    On 19 Jul 2006 07:45:50 -0700, wrote:

    I just bought 2 of Newegg's A620s - one for a friend who wanted to
    upgrade from his antique digicam, and one to replace the A80 that my
    daughter's taking off to college, which we've been very happy with.

    The A620's got some nice improvements over the A80 in overall speed,
    battery life, and image quality.

    I find it to be an incredible value - it's an extremely capable P&S
    for the money. It's a bit bigger than I like, but that's the tradeoff
    for features and decent optics. It's hard to imagine a better digital
    for the money.

    >poddys wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks - I think I might just have to splash out - although you always
    >> wonder why the price is so low - what's about to be released as a new
    >> model?

    >Actually, the next group of Canon A series cameras were already
    >released - the A530, A540, and the A700. I picked up an A620 a few
    >months ago, to take with me as backup on a trip overseas. Good thing,
    >since my SLR balked at odd times, and I ended up using the A620 about
    >half the time.

    The A5X0 appears to be a different series, and is smaller and lighter,
    with 2 batteries and no flip-out screen (which killed it for me).

    The A700 looks like the next generation of the A6X0 series, with the
    extra zoom, but it also doesn't have the popular flipout screen. I'm
    assuming they're going to be introducing the A710 and A720, with
    feature to match. My guess is that this is why the A620 is selling
    for such a low price - they're trying to clear them out before
    introducing new models.

    >In short, it is a fabulous camera, and a steal at that price (I paid
    >about $260 for mine). If I were buying right now, I *might* consider
    >the A700 for its lighter weight (only 2 AA's instead of 4), larger
    >screen (2.5"), and extra telephoto reach, although my previous
    >experience (with a Pentax 555) tells me that the latter feature isn't
    >worth very much over the A620's adequate zoom. The swivelling LCD on
    >the A620 is very, very handy now and then, and Canon seems to have
    >gotten rid of it in this line of cameras.

    I agree with all of this. The flip-out screen has been great, and the
    A620 is an amazing value.

    Neil Maxwell, Jul 20, 2006
  9. poddys

    SMS Guest

    poddys wrote:
    > I was looking to replace my 2mp Kodak DC290 with the Canon A620 last
    > Christmas, but my old Kodak is still working and I have been hanging on
    > for the right moment.
    >
    > It's now almost a year after I started looking for a replacement
    > camera, and the price of the A620 has dropped from it's original $399
    > to as low as $219 (www.newegg.com including 1gb SD card).

    Note that Newegg charges the same for the camera with or without the 1GB
    card. You have to click to the combo deals.

    SMS, Jul 21, 2006
  10. poddys

    bugbear Guest

    poddys wrote:
    > The A620 also
    > has the slip out screen, and auto-rotates the image (which some cameras
    > do not - annoying when viewing on the computer).

    Actually, as long as the camera has an "orientation" sensor,
    which records the orientation of the camera when the picture
    was taken in the EXIF, and deccent viewer "on the computer"
    will also do the rotation for you.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Jul 24, 2006
  11. poddys

    poddys Guest

    I guess if you haven't had a camera with an orientation sensor then you
    won't miss it, but having got used to one and then having to view
    pictures sideways, I really do appreciate having that much overlooked
    feature.

    poddys, Jul 25, 2006