Canon A610, 620, 630, 640, 710, & S3-IS can do RAW (and much more) now

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gokiting@everywhere.net, May 9, 2007.

  1. Guest

    In case you haven't heard about it yet, some marvelous Russian programmers found
    a way to unlock the power of these cameras. They call it a firmware hack, but
    it's not really. It's just 2 small files that you save on your SD card, it loads
    every time you turn on your camera. You can have it load automatically or do it
    manually as needed. When you turn off your camera this firmware add-on is gone
    again. The original firmware is never touched.

    Being able to save RAW files is just a small part of what these cameras can do
    now. RBG-Y live histogram (6 different kinds, IN COLOR), a battery meter
    accurate to .001 volt, real-time flashing under/over-exposure regions in the
    viewfinder (zebra modes), instant DOF and hyper-focal calculations in the
    display, and perhaps best of all you can now write your own scripts to automate
    your cameras internally. Making your own intervalometers, focus and exposure
    bracketing functions, fill-flash bracketing sequences, etc.

    Don't believe me? Check it out:

    http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

    http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK/FAQ

    Be sure to check out CHDK's "Firmware Usage" page, it shows all the great new
    things you can do. You can even read e-books on your camera, complete with
    customized font options. Just for fun 2 games are also included.

    http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK/HDK_firmware_usage

    "Amazing" is not a strong enough word to describe this camera enhancement.

    , May 9, 2007

  2. Neil Guest

    Neil, May 9, 2007

  3. bugbear Guest

    Re: Canon A610, 620, 630, 640, 710, & S3-IS can do RAW (and muchmore) now

    wrote:
    > In case you haven't heard about it yet, some marvelous Russian programmers found
    > a way to unlock the power of these cameras. They call it a firmware hack, but
    > it's not really. It's just 2 small files that you save on your SD card, it loads
    > every time you turn on your camera. You can have it load automatically or do it
    > manually as needed. When you turn off your camera this firmware add-on is gone
    > again. The original firmware is never touched.

    Oh wow! Speaking as a programmer and photographer,
    I am SO HAPPY to see this.

    Exposure bracketing for RAW/HDR looks
    like a nice hack to try.

    BugBear

    bugbear, May 9, 2007
  4. DHB Guest

    On Wed, 09 May 2007 14:37:57 +0100, bugbear
    <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> In case you haven't heard about it yet, some marvelous Russian programmers found
    >> a way to unlock the power of these cameras. They call it a firmware hack, but
    >> it's not really. It's just 2 small files that you save on your SD card, it loads
    >> every time you turn on your camera. You can have it load automatically or do it
    >> manually as needed. When you turn off your camera this firmware add-on is gone
    >> again. The original firmware is never touched.

    >Oh wow! Speaking as a programmer and photographer,
    >I am SO HAPPY to see this.
    >
    >Exposure bracketing for RAW/HDR looks
    >like a nice hack to try.
    >
    > BugBear

    BugBear,
    Pleas let us know how it works out for you if you try
    it & on what camera model. A RAW option sure would be nice as well as
    an intervalometer to have the camera do time lapse photography.

    Also leaves me wondering why all the good Canon camera hacks
    seem to be coming from Russia, maybe they are just a bit more
    adventurous?
    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, May 10, 2007
  5. irwell Guest

    irwell, May 10, 2007
  6. Mardon Guest

    irwell <> wrote:

    > Anything for the Sony?

    The CHDK hack is implemented as a rootkit on the SD card. There's no need
    for hackers to develop root kits for Sony products. Sony installs its own
    rootkits.

    http://news.com.com/FAQ Sonys rootkit CDs/2100-1029_3-5946760.html

    Mardon, May 11, 2007